WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I committed a crime and let my watch set for >48 hours and it stopped. It stopped at about 10:50 pm last night. So, I woke up and advanced the date and set the time before winding it, and then I remembered that one is not supposed to change the date on the U2 between 9 pm and 3 am or else it may hurt the movement. So now I'm worried I have done something horrible to my watch. What exactly are the true implications of changing the date b/w 9 and 3? The watch seems to be working exactly as it did before, so is it something that one must do repeatedly in order to damage the mechanism, or does it take a while for the problem to manifest itself after only one event? Or is it all just an old wive's tale?

Sorry for all the questions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

forpath

·
Registered
226 Posts
That rule is designed to prevent "damage" to the date-change quickset mechanism. The mechanical process by which the date advances actually begins a few hours before midnight and may not be completed until a few hours after. By manually setting the date, you may have mechanically interefered with that process, thus affecting when that date-change now occurs.

Do you recall how close to midnight your date would change (11:58, 11:55, 12:01, etc.)? Just watch the U2 near midnight and see when the date changes. If it changes "when it should" ~ few minutes of midnight, then your watch is fine.

If you only advanced the time, but did mess with the date, then your watch should be unaffected.

-Kevin-

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Still, observe a regular date change, check that the date clicks through all 31 positions, and if everything ius fine, then everything is fine, and you are a lucky guy. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine starts to change around 11:30pm and ends about 1:30am or so. I think each watch may be a little different. As others have suggested, watch and see when yours changes. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello all,

I didn't actually see my date turn over, but when I awoke this morning, the date had advanced cleanly and I could advance through all 31 days, so I guess all is OK, but I'll still keep an eye out. Thank you all for your comments.

forpath

1 - 7 of 7 Posts