WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've saving some money by changing my own straps and sizing some really difficult bracelets like the tag and omega ones that can make you scream when you slip and nail the case.:oops: I bought 2 different caseback openers and some other tools from otto frei to gain access to the battery and also be able to pull a quartz movement when working on a case that needs some serious buffing that requires it to be taken apart because of the heat generated by high speed buffing. getting the movement out always seemed to be a daunting process because the crown stem needs to be released. tz is a great source for info on doing this. anyways, my luminox died 3 days ago and since its used and well worn it was a perfect candidate for the battery replacement. I got the caseback off, no problem, got the number off the battery and headed to radio shack and spent a grand total of 3.21 for the battery. getting the old battery out was a trick. I downloaded a pdf for doing this. I used finger cots so I didn't leave oily prints inside. I pulled the seal, cleaned all of the surfaces and applied alittle bit of lube to the seal and threaded the caseback back on. then reset the chrono and time and viola, one working watch. made me feel really good to do this myself.b-)

I took it to dakota watch at the mall to have the wr tested which they did for free and it passed.!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Sweet. I tried on my old casio and well lets just say I bought a new casio the same day. The F-16 is a really cool watch BTW.

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Nicely done! Now that I've been doing my own basic maintenance, I regret all the money I paid for battery changes in the past. And interestingly enough, when I buy & replace my own batteries, they seem to last for years. When I used to get them changed by a dealer, they seemed to never last more than two years, and often died in exactly 1 year (like clockwork). Very suspicious....

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Nice. Especially passing the wr test afterwards. I'm always worried about scratching things, like it's going to be the end of the world as we know it.

Rick.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Excellent job, nice watch too! I too have noticed the jewelry store batteries only last about a year, exactly.

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the only extra thing I did was throw that hard ass rubber strap in the trash can. that thing actually cut into my wrist. now its on a nice soft marathon strap with a dual deployant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts