WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got me a Omega Speedy for Black Friday. I found a deal with a sale and a coupon that got me 40% off list so I couldn't resist. I was shooting for a 3576.50 Moonphase Speedmaster but I could not find as good a deal on one of those. I ended up with a more mainstream Speedmaster Professional model except it has the brown dial instead the more common black. I am still debating if I like the brown as much as the black. A Speedy has been on my list for a while but I was in no hurry since I already had a Seamaster. I figured if I ever ran across a good deal I would go for it.

31130423013001-20.png

So did anyone else do anything to help the world economy?

-T

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
So I got me a Omega Speedy for Black Friday. I found a deal with a sale and a coupon that got me 40% off list so I couldn't resist. I was shooting for a 3576.50 Moonphase Speedmaster but I could not find as good a deal on one of those. I ended up with a more mainstream Speedmaster Professional model except it has the brown dial instead the more common black. I am still debating if I like the brown as much as the black. A Speedy has been on my list for a while but I was in no hurry since I already had a Seamaster. I figured if I ever ran across a good deal I would go for it.

View attachment 353968

So did anyone else do anything to help the world economy?

-T
Nice one, I didn't know they came with a brown face! Would like to see "live" pics when you get it. A sale plus 40% off? Sounds fantastic!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice one, I didn't know they came with a brown face! Would like to see "live" pics when you get it. A sale plus 40% off? Sounds fantastic!
Yeah, it is getting hard to find a good discount on Omega these days with them trying to upscale the brand. It is probably why I had a limited choice of models. I'll put pictures up when I get it next week.

-T

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Congrats, that's a lovely Speedy! I agree, I'm glad I got a pre-owned (used less than a year) Omega AT 8500 at a good price, don't see myself buying anything new from an AD in the foreseeable future.

Definitely in the market for an old Speedy (preferably cal. 321 but 1861 will do as well) or a vintage Seamaster chrono with the cal. 321.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Nice one, I didn't know they came with a brown face!
Yep, Omegaphiles call it the Chocolate Speedy. Search "chocolate" in the Omega Forum for some cool strap ideas. It's my favorite Speedmaster - nice grab NB.

I got a calendar moonphase watch yesterday. Can't tell you what it is, but I'll shoot some pictures and post when I have free time. (My job is in retail. A big sale weekend = no personal life)

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
Technically, I bought it on Monday, but it hits my mailbox today. Brand new Seiko.

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
What did I buy...? Nothing horological related.

But, I did have a salesman push me really, really hard to buy a Movado Museum tungsten for $2,995 usd.

Um... no.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What did I buy...? Nothing horological related.

But, I did have a salesman push me really, really hard to buy a Movado Museum tungsten for $2,995 usd.

Um... no.
A Valor? Nothing wrong with the watch but that price is a ripoff. Lot's of WIS dislike Movado, but I own one and I find it a handy brand to give as a gift to a non-WIS. Everyone recognizes the iconic style and many seem to revere it to a degree.

An interesting question is do you like watches made from tungsten?

-T

·
Registered
720 Posts
I got two:

Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Retrograde

I am so jealous! I am a huge fan of art deco and that watch just makes my heart sing! An excellent, excellent choice sir. If I didnt have monster 9" wrists, I would probably have that watch already.

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
A Valor? Nothing wrong with the watch but that price is a ripoff. Lot's of WIS dislike Movado, but I own one and I find it a handy brand to give as a gift to a non-WIS. Everyone recognizes the iconic style and many seem to revere it to a degree.

An interesting question is do you like watches made from tungsten?

-T
It was a Fiero.

And Movado just isn't for me. The styling does nothing for me. And the quartz movements just seem a bit lackluster to me.

And do I like tungsten watches? Hell yeah. One of my next purchases will be a Seiko 5 with a tungsten bezel. And one of my grails is the LumTec M6 tungsten.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I did not buy anything although I had thoughts of buying a Tag 500M Aquaracer. On holidays my wife and I help out at a local church mission that serves the poor in the community. This year the people coming through the door looked more down and out than usual. I had this feeling of guilt about buying an expensive watch when these folks couldn't afford a Timex. We try to give regularly to charities so it's not like I should feel that we are doing nothing to help others out but after leaving there I just was not in the frame of mind to buy a watch. I will probably buy it at some point but this just did not feel like the right time.

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
Nice AFG.. Btw what's this black friday concept btw?
From Black Friday (shopping) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Black Friday is the day following Thanksgiving Day in the United States, traditionally the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. Especially popular in the United States, the event is spreading to other nations such as Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom. On this day, many retailers open very early, often at 4 a.m., or earlier, and offer promotional sales to kick off the shopping season. Black Friday is not actually a holiday, but many employers give their employees the day off, increasing the number of potential shoppers. It has routinely been the busiest shopping day of the year since 2005,[1] although news reports, which at that time were inaccurate,[2] have described it as the busiest shopping day of the year for a much longer period of time.[3]
The day's name originated in Philadelphia, where it originally was used to describe the heavy and disruptive pedestrian and vehicle traffic which would occur on the day after Thanksgiving. Use of the term began by 1966 and began to see broader use outside Philadelphia around 1975. Later an alternative explanation began to be offered: that "Black Friday" indicates the period during which retailers are turning a profit, or "in the black."[4]

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did not buy anything although I had thoughts of buying a Tag 500M Aquaracer. On holidays my wife and I help out at a local church mission that serves the poor in the community. This year the people coming through the door looked more down and out than usual. I had this feeling of guilt about buying an expensive watch when these folks couldn't afford a Timex. We try to give regularly to charities so it's not like I should feel that we are doing nothing to help others out but after leaving there I just was not in the frame of mind to buy a watch. I will probably buy it at some point but this just did not feel like the right time.
Oy vey! Now I feel like giving my new Speedy to one of the homeless people downtown.

.....nah!

I am doing them a favor with my gratuitous consumption so as to stimulate the ecomony and in turn make a job available to the less fortunate. Hey, before you laugh, that is the entire idea behind trickle down economics!!!

On a serious note, it is noteworthy that you volunteer! I applaud that you actually are keeping the spirit of the season in mind.

-T

1 - 20 of 21 Posts