WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Ultimately "good" watches are jewelry whose main actual function outside of its use as jewelry is to keep time. And while I certainly can appreciate those that are fascinated by a smooth second hand or by those that are in love with a time keeping machine that is all mechanical, I tend to value the time function of the particular piece of jewelry. And yes, a Citizen 0100 likely will come my way as soon as they have a bit greater set of choices. I love the AQ6010-06A but have found that my time wearing watches isn't best spent with leather bands. I spend to much time out of doors. So when they introduce an interesting model with a SS or Titanium bracelet I will pick one up. The AQ6021-51E / AQ6020-53X have been introduced in titanium and at only $7400 but so far I don't see them yet available anywhere. In fact if anyone ever produced a digital watch that was as good looking as a GS I would be happy to go in that direction, but the Apple watch is very far from good looking. Functional yes, but it really is butt ugly.

The good news is that in particular Grand Seiko has all of us covered. Whether we want the SD, the Mechanical or the HAQ, we can get a GS that is beautiful and keeps time the way we want it to.

· Registered
126 Posts
I love quartz. I love purely mechanical. And I love SD.

Having been a car enthusiast for many years, it's the same way. I don't just appreciate the most efficient turbo setups of today, I also enjoy the carbureted big blocks of the 70s.
And I feel that is an apt analogy. For years I was a normally aspirated aficionado. While many friends were experimenting with superchargers, turbos and nitrous, I didn't feel a car was "right" unless it was NA. Now a few years later with the perfection of powerful twin turbo or supercharged and electric cars, I have moved forward and gotten rid of my old classics. No more maintenance, all in warranty and all with TTs or SCs and way more performance as well as creature comforts. I suppose that is why I have moved towards the HAQ watch models as well. Luckily there is still room for lovers of each.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.