WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did they update the Glycine Combat Sub recently? Mines the first one. Hopefully you notice the differences in the dials. I got it off ebay but the seller is an authorized dealer in Spain so it should be legit. Legit or not a bit disappointed since I preferred the look pre-update.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
485 Posts
Wow - I agree with you. This is a regression for each change:

1) New 3 lines of text = bad
2) White date outline = bad
3) New eagle logo = bad
4) New typeface = bad

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Obviously yes they have made some changes visible on dial.If you refer to Iguana Sell I am sure they can take care of your concern and if they have an older model they would replace it.

The date frame doesn't bother me but agree with above post for the rest of the changes. The logo change/addition was something I was strongly against but it's the owners decision to add wings on the crown.Maybe just a personal preference, would love to hear other enthusiasts opinion also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For me:

Crown>Eagle. Eagle is very generic and meh

old date box much better.

Still a nice watch mind.

I would definitely contact iguana sell. they will do their best to make you happy.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I actually really liked the crown logo. The new logo reminds me of Versace's logo - which is not at all a good thing for me.

Also noticed the bezel looks painted (matte) rather than anodized (gloss). (or is that just the lighting?)

And the missing lume next to the date window.

I am generally not so OCD on such details. But there are so many watches competing on my "short" list, and it only takes but a gut feeling to knock a particular model down in priority...

Reactions: anabuki

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bezel is glossy. Also just noticed the lume marker on the bezel at noon is a pearl thing rather than the flat dot of white.

Is the dial color on the previous version a dark navy blue? Unless it's just the lighting. On mine it's black.

·
Registered
485 Posts
IIRC, they had 2 blue models: blue dial with blue bezel and gold trim; then black dial with blue bezel and silver trim. Yours looks to be a mixture of both.

Didn't notice the pearl. :)

Bezel is glossy. Also just noticed the lume marker on the bezel at noon is a pearl thing rather than the flat dot of white.

Is the dial color on the previous version a dark navy blue? Unless it's just the lighting. On mine it's black.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I too am a huge glycine fan and am not happy about these changes. I agree with everything said above. What concerns me now is that I just sent my combat sub back to the AD after complaining about horrible lume on the dial. They told me that Glycine acknowledge this fact and are replacing the watch.... but if my only option is to get this new design in return I don't think it'd be worth it..

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The AD said they can still get the older version from Glycine so that's encouraging at least.

Although new issue. How accurate is the movement suppose to be? I timed it for 24 hours dial up and this morning it's now 19 seconds fast... that's no bueno.

·
Registered
15,115 Posts
I don't like any of the changes. The logo looks awful IMO.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
The AD said they can still get the older version from Glycine so that's encouraging at least.

Although new issue. How accurate is the movement suppose to be? I timed it for 24 hours dial up and this morning it's now 19 seconds fast... that's no bueno.
You're correct, not good at all.

The daily maximum variation for your watch (I believe it's an elabore grade 2824-2) is +/-20 seconds a day, and the movement is adjusted in 3 positions to an average daily variance of +/- 7 seconds. Dial up is one of the three positions (along with crown at 6H and crown at 9H) that is adjusted. With maximum variation between positions limited to +/-15 seconds/day, there is no way for your watch to achieve accuracy both within the +/-7 seconds a day spec and also limit variation between positions to 15 seconds/day.

I would exchange the watch or get a refund.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You're correct, not good at all.

The daily maximum variation for your watch (I believe it's an elabore grade 2824-2) is +/-20 seconds a day, and the movement is adjusted in 3 positions to an average daily variance of +/- 7 seconds. Dial up is one of the three positions (along with crown at 6H and crown at 9H) that is adjusted. With maximum variation between positions limited to +/-15 seconds/day, there is no way for your watch to achieve accuracy both within the +/-7 seconds a day spec and also limit variation between positions to 15 seconds/day.

I would exchange the watch or get a refund.
The timing issue could be as simple as the watch having become magnetized somewhere along the supply chain. Demagnetizing may bring the timing back to a more reasonable figure.

Given that a chronometer rated watch is allowed a tolerance of +6/-4, a tolerance of +7/-7 seems rather tight for an ordinary non-chronometer certificated watch. Where do you find this specification?

Jim Sadilek

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
The timing issue could be as simple as the watch having become magnetized somewhere along the supply chain. Demagnetizing may bring the timing back to a more reasonable figure.

Given that a chronometer rated watch is allowed a tolerance of +6/-4, a tolerance of +7/-7 seems rather tight for an ordinary non-chronometer certificated watch. Where do you find this specification?

Jim Sadilek
The chart below (or similar) can be found across a number of sites if you google something like "ETA 2824-2 movement specs." I believe it was (and potentially still is) available off of ETA.ch, but I am unable to locate it currently.

View attachment 7169794

As a recent example of this info being quoted, here is a ablogtowatch article stating the same information.

Haldor Abissi Watch: 'Swiss-Made' For Under €800

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Apparently pictures still are having the occasional issue posting, but clicking the attachment should bring it up. Additionally, the level of precision for -7/+7 is across those 3 positions I referenced above. COSC is tested in 5 positions, along with many other standards not necessarily/likely met by an elabore grade 2824-2.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The chart below (or similar) can be found across a number of sites if you google something like "ETA 2824-2 movement specs." I believe it was (and potentially still is) available off of ETA.ch, but I am unable to locate it currently.

View attachment 7169794

As a recent example of this info being quoted, here is a ablogtowatch article stating the same information.

Haldor Abissi Watch: 'Swiss-Made' For Under €800
Thank you. I too went to ETA.ch expecting to find the information there. It appears that the ETA web site has changed. I am not surprised. ETA, effective at the end of 2015, no longer sells parts and complete movements through watch material suppliers. Any ETA movement parts would need to come from the brands using the ETA movements. Since almost every Swiss brand now has restrictive parts policies (Glycine included), servicing modern watches with ETA movements for independent watchmakers will become difficult to impossible as existing stocks of ETA parts run out.

It appears that the Swiss goal is to monopolize the watch service business through the various factory service centers. Watch owners have no choice of who will service their watch. Prices for factory service are generally two to three times what would be charged by an independent watchmaker. The monopolization is effective by the brands' refusal to sell parts outside of the factory system. The watch owner either pays the factory price, or tosses the watch in the sock drawer.

Jim Sadilek

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not liking the new logo and changes, but you know what would really irk me if I owned this watch? The watch band still has the crown logo on it. That's just a complete lack of attention to detail.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts