WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This video shows a Vostok with English text on the caseback and a really low serial number (4700) which would imply an earlier range. The English text intrigues me as I thought the casebacks were all Cyrillic.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It's a far busier caseback than any 70s Vostok that I've seen, in any language.
It seems counterintuitive to create a caseback in English to advertise the features of the watch and leave the dial in Russian (which is the part that's visible when the watch is worn)?
Also, the usual westernisation of Boctok, was Wostok wasn't it?
It's intriging, I'm sure the guys here will have the answer.

·
Registered
572 Posts
There was a time when latinized dials and casebacks where more frequent than Cyrillic ones (but they always matched, unlike this example).

I may be wrong but I think I recall seeing similar casebacks on Italian Vostoks (Vostoks made for the Italian market or modified by Italian importers, during the Italian craze for everything Soviet), so maybe this caseback made its way to a Cyrillic dialed watch?

Very interesting nevertheless!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The watch started out as a "Series 1" Desert Shield made for Timepeace Russian Watches Inc. Beverly Farms, Mass., USA by Vostok and that's the only watch this caseback should be found on IMHO...serial numbers on these are always below 10000 and the original Desert Shield series were made in 1990 and 1991...

I guess a previous owner didn't want a dial with the US flag on anymore so they changed it for a Scuba Dude, that's why the watch still has the original black painted hands from the Desert Shield (should be chrome on this dial)...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I guess a previous owner didn't want a dial with the US flag on anymore so they changed it for a Scuba Dude, that's why the watch still has the original black painted hands from the Desert Shield (should be chrome on this dial)...
...which probably was not a brilliant idea as selling the Desert Shield and getting a nice collection of other amphibians would have been preferable...

Joachim

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
There was a time when latinized dials and casebacks where more frequent than Cyrillic ones (but they always matched, unlike this example).

I may be wrong but I think I recall seeing similar casebacks on Italian Vostoks (Vostoks made for the Italian market or modified by Italian importers, during the Italian craze for everything Soviet), so maybe this caseback made its way to a Cyrillic dialed watch?

Very interesting nevertheless!
I think this is the right track. Plenty of export models, with the catching onion dome caseback, had ordinary Cyrillic dials, because there are so few Latin dials. While I cannot say for sure this isn't a franken, it may also be just an ordinary export model.

It is also definitely far newer than 1970's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts