WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you wish omega made the PO with a caseback?

I know our POs do not have caseback and shows the mighty sea monster! but would you modify and have it fixed with a caseback?

whats your take on this?

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I'm not saying this to be smart, but just to clarify. "Caseback" or "case back" just refers to any removable back on a watch. What you're referring to is a display back or exhibition back.

Hope that helps, Frogman.

eric

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
Nope, not at all. I find the solid engraved caseback of the PO to be one of the most beautiful I've seen. Additionally, the movement is not highly decorated, and really would be nothing spectacular with a display back. - David

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Back in 1999, when I started selling watches, the only brand we carried that used to have display-backs was Jaeger-Le Coultre. Magnificent watches, very intricately put together, beautifully polished sections of the movements which alternated nicely with the Geneva wave pattern that was engraved on the rotor. Back then, see-through backs were a novelty. Nowadays, 98% of Oris watches have display-backs and one of their movements looks like it's been made from scrap metal.
I have to say that I love the display back on my AquaTerra, but these days in the watch-making world, display-backs are the new black (to borrow a phrase from the fashion world).
The other thing to remember is that a display back on a Planet Ocean might compromise the 600m water-resistance. This might explain why the 300m (and above) Oris dive watches have solid backs, whereas the 200m models don't.
I like a see-through case-back, but I don't particularly want to see it on every watch I have.
Just my 2c.

teeritz

P.S.- Also, any competent watch-maker would be able to create a see-through case-back for nearly any watch...if you're game enough to try it.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The other thing to remember is that a display back on a Planet Ocean might compromise the 600m water-resistance. This might explain why the 300m (and above) Oris dive watches have solid backs, whereas the 200m models don't.
Its impossible to give a sapphire crystal a screw thread, as this would be the only way of producing a deep divers watch with an display back - and have a case back thick enough to withstand the increased pressure. As such, no divers watches rated over 300m come with a display back (I'm sure I've seen a 2220.80 with a display back...:think:).

·
Registered
661 Posts
I don't like display backs on "functional" watches. It looks a bit naff and reminds me of cheap fakes. I much prefer nicely finished steel backs.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Personally I love the solid caseback on my PO and find it beautiful to look at. If I want to see a beautiful movement through a display back then I can look at the back of my sapphire sandwich, now that is a pretty movement.
Here is a pic

Len

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Len. I appreciate the solid caseback as much as the display one. I wouldn't want all my watches to be entirely one or the other, that would be boring. The Seamaster is hardly an uninspiring logo either!

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Very interesting indeed. Nice idea, but it removes any of Omega's case-back engraving like model name and depth rating.
Oh, BTW, I checked some of the Oris dive watches at work today and most of the 300m dive watches have see-through case-backs. While Fatpants is correct in saying that you can't cut a threading onto sapphire crystal, I think Oris dive watches rely on a slight ledge on the case-back for the crystal to rest against...and a lot of faith must be placed on Loctite glue. Also, I think that Oris use a mineral crystal for the case-backs, too.

teeritz

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Oh, BTW, I checked some of the Oris dive watches at work today and most of the 300m dive watches have see-through case-backs. While Fatpants is correct in saying that you can't cut a threading onto sapphire crystal, I think Oris dive watches rely on a slight ledge on the case-back for the crystal to rest against...and a lot of faith must be placed on Loctite glue. Also, I think that Oris use a mineral crystal for the case-backs, too.
That faith is well-placed; WatchTime tested an Oris diver recently and gave it a big thumbs-up. Never heard of an Oris display back failing regularly either, and neither has anybody else.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Publandlord, you're right. My store has never had an Oris dive watch come in with water entry issues via the case-back. These watches are built tough.

teeritz

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
No way - I think the large, seamonster on the back of the PO suits the watch perfectly. It would, IMO, be inappropriate for the PO to have a see-through caseback.

mike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts