WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Whats the difference??
The 3590.50 was the earlier basic steel back Speedy with the 861 movement. This was replaced in the mid-90's with the 3570.50 with the rhodium plated 1861 with the additional jewel making a total of eighteen.

The earlier cal. 861 movement (with some rare exceptions) had only 17 jewels.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Interestingly, the cal 861 Speedy Pro with 18 jewels currently listed in the famous auction site is referred to by the seller as being a 3570.50.

He has the box and papers and should know the correct model number so we must assume that it is indeed a 3570.50.

So as in my previous post, can we assume that the movement is the determining factor as to whether a Speedy is a 3590.50 or a 3570.50?

Probably not as Jon (454gun) has two 3572.50's but one has an 863 movement and the other has an 1863. Both movements are original and both have 18 jewels although the bridge on the 863 is engraved "Seventeen".

Another factor to consider is that the "18 jewel" 861 up for auction comes on a ref# 1499/842 bracelet rather than the 1479 used on the earlier 3592.50. The 1499 was the predecessor of the 1498 bracelet most prevalent on the 357#.50 models. (Why the higher number for the earlier bracelet, I'll never know but the only noticeable difference is the engraving on the clasp.)

So as far as the standard Speedies are concerned, movements may not be the determining factor causing Omega to change the PIC from 3590 to 3570.

But there are a couple of other differences between the 3592.50 and the 3572.50 display back models. The backs have different engraving:

3592.50: "Apollo-Speedmaster-(blank)-First Watch-Worn On-The Moon" or in some instances ""(blank)-Speedmaster-Apollo-First Watch-Worn On-The Moon"

3572.50: "Omega-Speedmaster-Professional-First Watch-Worn On-The Moon"

And one other difference is that the earlier 3592.50 required a spacer to hold the movement in place whereas the later 3572.50 utilized a taller movement ring allowing the display back to sit flush without need for the spacer.

So what is in fact the difference between the two models? There are a number of differences but as to what is determinative, I do not know as there appears to be some crossover in components between the two.

Obviously at some point in the early to mid-90's Omega changed the PIC on the Speedmaster Professional models but continued to use available parts until the bins were exhausted.

A simple question, Joacim, but no simple answer. But the bottom line is that a Speedy Pro is a Speedy Pro. ;-)

Fr. John+

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Update on the 18 jewel 861:

The seller has confirmed that the watch is indeed a 3590 from 1992. The reference to 3570 was a typographical error.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
1 Posts
I and nice to meet you!

A friend of mine has got a Moonwatch 3590. I can't see the Omega mark in the crystal, but my friend says he never changed it. Is it possible that the earlier model 3590 hadn't this mark? Thank you!

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I and nice to meet you!

A friend of mine has got a Moonwatch 3590. I can't see the Omega mark in the crystal, but my friend says he never changed it. Is it possible that the earlier model 3590 hadn't this mark? Thank you!
So far as I know, the hesalite crystal on every Speedy should have the Omega symbol.

He may not have changed it but it has been changed.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old post but I found a 3590.50 (circa 1994) for sale for a price of $100-$200 less then what I could get a newer 3570 (used). Is it worth it for the savings? Is the 3570 more desirable?

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old post but I found a 3590.50 (circa 1994) for sale for a price of $100-$200 less then what I could get a newer 3570 (used). Is it worth it for the savings? Is the 3570 more desirable?
The 3590.50 will be a yello gilt cal. 861 with a tritium dial whereas the 3570.50 will have the 1861 rhodium plated movement and superlumimova dial. For no more than $100-200 savings, I would go with the 3570.50.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
150 Posts
I did notice that the markers were a yellowish color which I don't like, Is that what you mean by yello gilt? Doesn't superluminova last alot longer then tritium without showing wear? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I did notice that the markers were a yellowish color which I don't like, Is that what you mean by yello gilt? Doesn't superluminova last alot longer then tritium without showing wear? Thanks.
"Yellow gilt" was in reference to the color of the movement (the older c.861 is gold in color, while the newer c.1861 is silver). But, you are correct that Superluminova doesn't fade or age the same way as tritium ages to a yellow or even brown shade.

eric

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do others out there feel the yellowing adds character to the Speedy? I like the new looking whiteness of the 3570 but the 3590 seems like it would be more "vintage" Is the 1861 a superior movement to the 861?

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Do others out there feel the yellowing adds character to the Speedy? I like the new looking whiteness of the 3570 but the 3590 seems like it would be more "vintage" Is the 1861 a superior movement to the 861?
I'm not a fan of the ageing of Tritium. I replaced the dial and hands of my 105.012 with superluminova parts (not reluming) but retained the original parts.

The 1861 has an added jewel (18 total) whereas the earlier 861 had seventeen (with some rare exceptions). And the rhodium plating is more expensive and corrosion resistant.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have both, and i really do prefer the aged look of the tritium markers, all personal preference of course.:think:

·
Registered
871 Posts

it does indeed add character, but only if its an collectors item, meant to be as much in original state as possible and kept in the drawer. as for a daily wear watch, youd replace these old and used parts just like youd do on your car for example

·
Registered
273 Posts
it does indeed add character, but only if its an collectors item, meant to be as much in original state as possible and kept in the drawer. as for a daily wear watch, youd replace these old and used parts just like youd do on your car for example
I have a question. I just purchased my first Speedy yesterday (ref. 3590.50), and the hour indicators have yellowed ( my watch was built in 1992). My question is how much does it cost to have Omega replace the hour markers with super luminova? Right now I am cool with the way it looks, but I plan to wear my Speedy daily. Will the markers turn brown over time? Much to be considered.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

·
Registered
273 Posts
A quick follow up to my previous question about replacing the hour markers, would the dial itself have to be replaced, and if so, at what cost?

Thanks again,

Chris

·
Registered
687 Posts
The 3590.50 was the earlier basic steel back Speedy with the 861 movement. This was replaced in the mid-90's with the 3570.50 with the rhodium plated 1861 with the additional jewel making a total of eighteen.

The earlier cal. 861 movement (with some rare exceptions) had only 17 jewels.

Fr. John+
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but can anyone tell me if I have a 3590.50 or a 3570.50. The serial number on my 1997 Speedy with tritium markers is: 48344xxx. I don't want to open up my watch. Do I have an 861 or 1861 movement? I have the original 1499 bracelet on it btw. Thanks in advance.

Pic of my 19 yr old Speedy Pro:

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but can anyone tell me if I have a 3590.50 or a 3570.50. The serial number on my 1997 Speedy with tritium markers is: 48344xxx. I don't want to open up my watch. Do I have an 861 or 1861 movement? I have the original 1499 bracelet on it btw. Thanks in advance.

Pic of my 19 yr old Speedy Pro:
The fact that your watch has a tritium dial suggests it is a 3590.50 with an 861 movement but the only way to confirm the movement is to open it up. During the transition from 3590.50 to 3570.50, Omega used whatever parts were in the bin and that made for some interesting combinations.

Odds are that yours is a 3590.50 but if the movement is rhodium plated, it's a 3570.50.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts