WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been searching and looking at some specs, but from what i can tell the Seiko 5 is simply a variation of the Monster maybe? Could someone please clarify? Im looking at the standard black monster, and also the Seiko 5 Sports SNZF45K1.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The Seiko 5 you reference is often referred to as the Baby Monster (despite the fact that it's slightly larger than the Monster).
I did some research on the baby and it generally gets great reviews. If you look at the two watches side by side you can see that although they share some similar styling they are different watches.

A mechanical few differences:

Baby is rated for 100m depth, Monster for 200m
Baby has crown at 3:00 position, Monster at 4:00 position
Monster has a screw-down crown, I may be wrong but I don't think baby does

The Seiko 5 line presents some outstanding value in automatic watches as far as I'm concerned. As long as you're aware of the various features you need. It's often said that while the 5s are great for recreational watersports they aren't "true" ISO divers. If you're not doing any deep sea diving it's a non-issue.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I do not believe the 5 series is always designed to the same level of finish and quality of the "standard" divers such as the 007 and Monster. Movement is similar. This is often referred to as the "Baby Monster". This model has a glass case back and is only rated at 100m. Not a "true" ISO rated diver. This involves the depth rating and other features such as shock resistance, etc.... Also, many are turned off by the "5" on the Seiko 5 divers. That said, I'm sure it is a fine watch, so get it if you like it.

I have never handled a "5", and some of them look great, but I wonder about the quality given the lower price. Sometimes they have features such as plastic crown guards, etc....that turn me off.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. i havent been around Seiko much, but that monster is REALLY growing on me. i wont wear the bright orange, but i could do the black. do you guys know the actual Seiko model number for the black version? i like everyone on the planet want to get it as cheap as possible. thanks guys!

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
I own both. They are both winners, and I wouldn't say the Monster is any more rugged than the Baby Monster: the screw-down crown and inherent added 100m of depth resistance that comes with it is nice, but at the end of the day, I've never swam that deep and it matters not. I swim 3x/week for exercize and am a recreational snorkeller, and have taken the baby with me many times, it's never let me down. Plus, it looks awesome on shark mesh:

neo meshy.jpg

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
both are great watches, and both will serve. I would consider the Monster to be a but more robust, but honestly they have the same movements in them, so really it comes down to finish, styling, and features. Ive also had both, and can regularly get screaming deals on both here and elsewhere, so jump in, the water is warm.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I've seen these "Baby" Monsters sell for around $135 USD on FEEbay, at that price these are just about unbeatable!! Excellent watches for the money!

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
I've seen these "Baby" Monsters sell for around $135 USD on FEEbay, at that price these are just about unbeatable!! Excellent watches for the money!
+1

Mine was $120 shipped, new in the box and untouched. It was +21 sec/day out of the box, settled to +18 sec/day, and after some minor adjustments I did at home, it runs at +4 sec/day.

It is a very sound investment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts