WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Hi All,

If you were curious about the differences in the dial and caseback of these two watches read on.

DIAL:

SKX007K has no "21 jewels" on the dial and the sub dial text says: "7S26- 002R R 2"

SKX007J has the "21 jewels" on the dial and the sub dial text says: "MADE IN JAPAN 7S26-002L R 2"

CASEBACK:

SKX007K has no "Japan A" to the left of the serial number. Clockwise from the serial number it reads: "Serial number A Stainless Steel SEIKO 7S26-0020 AO (in a box) SCUBA DIVER'S"

SKX007J has the "Japan A" to the left of the serial number. Clockwise from the serial number it reads: "Serial number JAPAN A Stainless Steel SEIKO 7S26-0020 A0 (in a box) SCUBA DIVER'S"

These are the differences between the two watches. Everything else is the same.

So, differences are:
Dial
Caseback

Exact same parts in:
Movement
Crystal
Hands
Crown
Case and everything else

There has been much discussion over the years about these two watches (along with the SKX009K/J and SKX011J/K) as to whether one is "better" than the other etc. The consensus is that they are the same watch except for the different dial and caseback. Now is the SKX007J actually made in Japan while the "K" comes from Singapore (or now Milaysia?). According to Seiko the "J" is marked differently for different markets. From the SCWF Dive Reference:

"There has been extended discussion among Seiko diver collectors on the differences between SKX007J and SKX007K. The SKX007J has extra text on the dial that's not on the SKX007K -- "21 JEWELS" under "DIVER'S 200m" and in small lettering "Made in Japan" along bottom edge of dial below 6 o'clock. Some people have said the SKX007J is made in Japan and the SKX007K is made in Singapore and the Japan-made model seems to be better. Others argue there's no proof of the country of manufacture or of any difference in quality between the divers. Many people on the S&C Forum have concluded that there is only cosmetic but no real difference between the J and the K variations -- they are all great divers.

In answer to the question, "What are the differences between SKX007J and SKX007K?," Seiko Japan said: "The watch ref.#SKX007J and SKX007K are completely same watch model. The shipping route is slightly different. We are not able to inform you of the details" (email from Seiko Japan Service Group, 10/28/02). "

Even if the "J" is made in Japan and the "K" is made in Milaysia (now in Milaysia; used to be Singapore) the machines and robots that make the movements and watches would be the same in either country so the techniques and procedures would be the same regardless of where the actual watch is produced.

So, if you just have to buy a watch that says "Made in Japan" on it the SKX007/09/011 is for you. If you want identical quality and want to save a few $ then the "K" variant is for you. Personally I wear the SKX007K more than the "J" as I like the cleaner look better. This is purely a subjective thing and as they say: "your milleage may vary".

I hope that this helps...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Thanks Again....My Brain just got a little Smarter:-!

Regards Sonny

·
Registered
12 Posts
That was great, thanks!

I just ordered a J with oyster band. Excited.

Quick question for the expert masses:
how do I pronounce the 007 model? Is it as in Bond "double-oh", or "zero zero seven" or what? I asked to see a "double-oh seven" at a Seiko AD, and they started talking about the "Bond watch" and talked about remembering Sean Connery fiddle with his Seiko - but as a huge Bond fan, I'm quite sure Connery only wore Rolex Subs...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ended up buying the 007J, I think the Made in Japan just makes me THINK it's better quality. Wonder in 30 years if these become collectable like the 6306's which will be more desirable ?

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Wonder in 30 years if these become collectable like the 6306's which will be more desirable ?
Nope. The reason is that the 6306 was actually different from the 6309 in ways that made the watch practically superior. on top of that it was built for only a short time and limited only to Japan. That makes it much more sought after than the 6309. The 007j only differs from the 007k in dial art. they are identical in every other way. The watch might be (and that's a big might) more sought after by collectors simply because it is the Japan market version, but not for much other reasons. I wouldn't expect it to fetch much of a premium over the standard 007 in the future.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
LOL.. I had to chuckle at this. I'm old enuff to remember the days when anything with the label "made in Japan" meant it was cheaply made. I guess like today when you see "made in china". Trouble is... nothing is "made in the U.S.A." anymore.....

<sigh>

gawain

I ended up buying the 007J, I think the Made in Japan just makes me THINK it's better quality. Wonder in 30 years if these become collectable like the 6306's which will be more desirable ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
LOL.. I had to chuckle at this. I'm old enuff to remember the days when anything with the label "made in Japan" meant it was cheaply made. I guess like today when you see "made in china". Trouble is... nothing is "made in the U.S.A." anymore.....

<sigh>

gawain
Toyotas, Hondas, Mercedes, among others are made in the USA. Also the occasional Ford.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Toyotas, Hondas, Mercedes, among others are made in the USA. Also the occasional Ford.
OK, I'll buy that.... but no clothing.. no shoes... no silicon chips.. no TVs.... no electronics of any kinds.... no washing machines... a country's wealth is determined by it's ability to export goods.

oh well... sorry to digress so far from the topic.

-Gawain

Reactions: Swans21

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I am a truck driver and have hauled lots of automotive parts. I can say that Toyota probably employs more American workers than Chevy, Ford, or Dodge. They have some MASSIVE plants, off the top of my head one is a half hour north of Terr Haute, IN. The traditional us makers are a disgrace as to number of worrkers. Their plants are empty, but I think the Union has become a direct cause of this. Personally I could care less where something is made, its all earth. But, still, I have to love Japan auto makers for employing American workers, since I live here. Bought my first Japanese car last year, Subaru Impreza WRX, and I love it, much better than my old 5oh mustang.

·
CMW & Sales Moderator
5,498 Posts
Thanks Zoodles95 for the great side by side comparison. I don't know how I missed this thread before.

In a post by Leon Eckell a week ago, he stated that the North American models (SKX173/175/A35) are marked mov't Singapore from 1996 - 2004 and mov't Malaysia from 2005 - now.

Does anyone know if that is the same time frame that Seiko shifted production of the SKX007/009 from Singapore to Malaysia?

Cheers,
gigfy

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would love to get an expert comment about my 007 experience. I recently purchased a 007K from a well regarded New York based discounter (J*******) It was gaining 30 or more seconds a day, the hour hand and middle hand did not mesh up at the proper place at the hour, the rotating bezel only had 60 clicks and did not line up with the minutes, and a couple other issues. I returned it (great service by the way!). I then purchased a 007J from another seller recommended on this site (CR******W******) The watch is great, keeps great time (looses about 10 sec a day) the hands line up correctly and the bezel has 120 clicks (i also like the angle of the bevel on the crystal better). Was this just random chance or better quality control at one factory than another?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Beginnersmind,

Interesting observation and experience. It was suggested above that the automation in all the manufacturing locations are assumed to be same process. Perhaps the quality control in Japan production is higher quality and so your first one being from the other non-Japanese production location was one that shouldn't have been released due to imperfections that should have been considered unacceptable. I've done plenty of work in Japan and Singapore, and Malaysia for that matter, although not with any watch industry work. Nonetheless, it is my opinion based on my own experience that Japanese quality is still superior to those other places.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Beginnersmind,

Interesting observation and experience. It was suggested above that the automation in all the manufacturing locations are assumed to be same process. Perhaps the quality control in Japan production is higher quality and so your first one being from the other non-Japanese production location was one that shouldn't have been released due to imperfections that should have been considered unacceptable. I've done plenty of work in Japan and Singapore, and Malaysia for that matter, although not with any watch industry work. Nonetheless, it is my opinion based on my own experience that Japanese quality is still superior to those other places.
Thanks for the reply! The silence was deafening!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts