WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't even notice this about my watches until i started to look for my next one that should be a white dial dress watch for casual use. I noticed basically all real dress watches have very thin cases, thin indexes, thin hands...and somehow i just don't like it. I was very set for fun Nomos Orion 38, but i just couldn't pull the trigger yet.

Then i went over my favorite watches in my drawer and noticed there a two very distinctive features on all of them. They are all "big dial" watches and ALL of them have fatter hands. No wonder i can't connect with thin, flimsy hands of a standard dress watch.

And no wonder that my all time favourite (unattainable) dress watch is Vacheron Constantin Traditionelle (fatter indexes, fatter hands, strong case).

I'll still try to find my perfect dress watch. A actually think i found it in the same house (Nomos Zurich - 801).

Or maybe still go with a bit of color and smaller size Orion. Or something else. Browsing and searching is the fun part about watches.

Anyone else finds the same features on your watches and didn't notice that for a while?

·
Registered
32,821 Posts
The huge bulk of mine are divers watches, but heh buy what you like.

The vast majority of my cars over the years have been 2 door, I prefer the lines, but that’s just me.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Out of the approximately 50 watches over the last seven/eight years, I've had:

2 quartz chronograph,
5 quartz,
2 automatic GMT's,
1 automatic Jump Hour,
40+ automatic 3 handers.

4 microbrands
40+ established medium/large brands.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm a big fan of minimalistic Nomos but I've never seen this one before. Pretty dope.

Not all dress watches are like that though. I mean they would be similar, hence them being in the same category, but a lot of them have differences big enough that true dress watch fans might want them all. The strongest example would be Breguet that gives off a vibe of its own.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There's a lot of more traditional looking dress watches in the same vein as the Vacheron Traditionelle, with wider indicies and hands than a Nomos Orion:
Most Grand Seikos, Rado Golden Horse 1957 reissue, Longines Silver Arrow reissue, JLC Master Ultra Thin, and like a million vintage watches.

·
Premium Member
30,563 Posts
We're all the same in some way. Like it or not, we are attracted to the one or two feature(s) in a watch and we almost always end up buying the same thing. After reading your post, I turned around and looked at my collection and realised that more half of them are dive watches. LOL. Time to diversify. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
72,268 Posts
Showed my niece my stash of G Shocks recently. “They’re all the same!, some are even the same colour” “no they’re not” mumbles me. The differences may be really small but I notice them.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Most of my collection is divers. Most are black, most are indices. It's gotten to the point where I have to rethink twice about getting another diver that looks like that. (CW 63 Sealander, I'm looking at you.)

Buy what you like, that's the best anyone can tell you. No one is going to drag you into watch jail because you're wearing the "wrong" watch for the wrong occasion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts