WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have combed the forums for an affordable (sub $500) dress watch for my dad. It's easy to find good dress watches... but the biggest caveat is that he's a super old school engineer and can't live without some digital functions like alarm and sometimes stopwatch.

He also cycles (commutes) and is slightly clumsy, so indestructibility is key so I prefer a robust build. Not sure whether sapphire or mineral crystal is a better option (as scratching or shattering would both be bad outcomes and I can't think which one is more likely).

The ideal watch is as dressy as the Bambino but as functional as the basic Casio digital-only watches and is sub $500.

I bought him a Timex Expedition ana/digi, which I think is a good start, but does anyone have any better suggestions? I can resell the Timex. Other things I have considered but haven't settled on are some G-Shock models (just not dressy enough) and some new brands like Nixon (which I think focus too much on fashion and won't be robust enough).

Look forward to seeing any suggestions...

Dana

·
Premium Member
71,306 Posts
Dana, have you thought about 2 watches? The Bambino for a dress watch and a digital all singing all dancing G Shock.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Hmm, maybe the Hamilton Flight Timer? Maybe not as dressy as you'd like, but it's got a certain refined look to it, and at 40mm it won't wear like a wrist clock. Hard to find in your budget but this model is currently on sale at $520. It's certainly got tons of gadgets - so many that you might need to watch a video to get a hang of how to use it.

Tissot T-Touch might be another option. Most models are very sporty, but there are some that could pass for dress watches. 42mm is a bit big for a dress watch. They seem to be available in-budget at $450ish.

Tissot T-Touch Classic Touch Silver Dial Brown Leather Mens Watch T0834201601100

Tissot T-Touch Classic Black Quartz Touch Mens Watch T0834201605100

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hmm, maybe the Hamilton Flight Timer? Maybe not as dressy as you'd like, but it's got a certain refined look to it, and at 40mm it won't wear like a wrist clock. Hard to find in your budget but this model is currently on sale at $520. It's certainly got tons of gadgets - so many that you might need to watch a video to get a hang of how to use it.

I have the Hamilton and love it.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
If it's GOT to be all in one watch, how about a Casio AMW320? It's also available with black or blue dial and stick markers instead of dots. About $75.

Best plan though, is to just get him two watches:
Sport/exercise - HRM-200: complete with heart rate monitor. Program it with one's age, and it has a bar graph to show what percentage of one's max heart rate one is at.

AQ-230:

·
Banned
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes it has to be in one watch for him. Otherwise, he'd have to wear two watches. Yes, I personally would go with your approach as I prefer the route of doing one thing and doing it excellently.

I had heard of 'all analogue' watches that have alarms, but didn't know where to start looking. That Seiko 'Perpetual Chronograph' looks great! I'll look more into variations on that theme... and sizes (I didn't mention, but he has small wrists).

Also, that last Casio... takes me back. Has old-world charm.

The Tissot Touch Classic is another one I'll look into. I first have to find out if he can stomach all analogue and set an alarm that way. Thanks for broadening my horizons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts