WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted something similar a while back but I can't seem to find the thread now. So I guess I'm kinda starting over again on this topic.

I'm looking for a Casio with a digital compass. Preferably solar, day/date displayed simultaneously. Atomic isn't crucial to me but I suppose if you're going to spend a little money on a watch like this you might as well get one with atomic feature - why cheat yourself out of a feature? As far as the digital compass feature goes, is there a better series to go with when it comes to Protrek or Pathfinder? Is one "better" than the other?

I'm really unfamiliar with the Protrek and Pathfinder series. They both seem really similar, offering a lot of the same features. Where do these watches differ? There's a lot of them and they all seem to do the same thing .... just wondering where the biggest differences are.

Thanks!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm really unfamiliar with the Protrek and Pathfinder series. They both seem really similar, offering a lot of the same features. Where do these watches differ? There's a lot of them and they all seem to do the same thing .... just wondering where the biggest differences are.
They seem really similar because they are the same. ProTrek is the EU/JP name, Pathfinder the US branding, but they are the same thing. Sea-Pathfinder is not the same as Pathfinder and it is used world-wide.

The EU/JP ProTreks have model numbers starting with PRG (non-atomic, but sometimes solar) or PRW (solar+atomic) while the US Pahfinders use PAG and PAW. As far as I know, the prefix of the model number is the only difference.

As far as functions, there are only a few series (models on the same row are the same given or taken the solar/atomic features):

Code:
PRG/PAG    PRW/PAW
  40           -
  50           -
  80        1100
 100           -
 110        1300
 120           -
 130        1500
 200        2000
The letters after the series' number only specify materials and colors (Y = all back w/ reverse display; T = titanium bracelet; B = black resin; J = Japan-only; GC, GB... = special colors).

Last, Casio also makes ProTrek-like watches which are not ProTreks but have some A/C/B/T functionality nonetheless, like the SGW-100 and GW-9200 (G-Shock Riseman).

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Being that the compass is the main feature you need, I'd go with a PRG/PAG-80. It has a big face with the duplex screen (which the PAW1300 and PAW1500 don't have) showing the compass points clearly in blue overlay.

Not atomic, but solar. It's big, but ideal for field work application imho.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that info. Do you have any experience with the Pathfinders? Enough to recommend a particular model?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Being that the compass is the main feature you need, I'd go with a PRG/PAG-80. It has a big face with the duplex screen (which the PAW1300 and PAW1500 don't have) showing the compass points clearly in blue overlay.

Not atomic, but solar. It's big, but ideal for field work application imho.

You're right, that watch is huge. Thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would also take a look at the SGW-100. It fits your requirements except for the solar/atomic, but it is much cheaper than the ProTreks/Pathfinders and more comfortable to wear, and its compass is easier to read than some ProTreks/Pathfinders.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would also take a look at the SGW-100. It fits your requirements except for the solar/atomic, but it is much cheaper than the ProTreks/Pathfinders and more comfortable to wear, and its compass is easier to read than some ProTreks/Pathfinders.
Ooh, I like this one! Seems like a more reasonable size, too. So is this considered a Protrek, or some other Casio line? It doesn't say Protrek or Pathfinder on it.

Let me ask you something very specific about the compass. Will it give you an accurate reading while it's on your wrist, or do you have to literally take it off and hold it in front of you to obtain a reading?? I ask this because I'd like to be able to rely on the compass while driving.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Why not go really old school?! :-d

Seriously, in terms of accuracy I think they are pretty good. You do need to hold your wrist flat while taking a reading, but certainly don't need to remove the watch from your wrist.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The PRG/PAG2000 all the way.

This is definitely my next purchase.

Watch has everything you wanted Altimeter,Barometer,Compass (duplex screen) Solar/atomic, and more (sunrise and sunset data). Also, looks awesome.

I think it even tells time, too!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Watch has everything you wanted Altimeter,Barometer,Compass (duplex screen) Solar/atomic, and more (sunrise and sunset data). Also, looks awesome.

LOL!

Thanks, I'm gonna read up on this one ....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

What is the official model # on this? Is it refered to as PAG2000?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello David!

PAW-2000-1 is the model you are looking for. I just bought the PAW-2000T model. Its a great watch and worthy of a look. It is comfortable and thin and looks great IMO.

Loaded with features and easy to use.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
242 Posts
The PAW-2000T-1 looks sick nice, nice pick up, but for me I prefer the non T resin band.

·
Registered
740 Posts
bolt on...

While you are deciding, maybe you can buy a suunto clipper wrist compass and just stick it on your existing watch strap. Less than $10 until you get down to business. It hangs onto a g shock or nato equally well.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ooh, I like this one! Seems like a more reasonable size, too. So is this considered a Protrek, or some other Casio line? It doesn't say Protrek or Pathfinder on it.
It's a different line. It has fewer features but it is cheaper, lighter, smaller and very readable. It feels less "delicate" too, in between a ProTrek and a G-Shock (not that ProTreks are delicate to begin with).

Let me ask you something very specific about the compass. Will it give you an accurate reading while it's on your wrist, or do you have to literally take it off and hold it in front of you to obtain a reading?? I ask this because I'd like to be able to rely on the compass while driving.
With all those watches, the only function that requires you to remove the watch from your wrist is the thermometer (well, it might be best to remove the watch from the wrist when using the baro-/altimeter as well to avoid thermal drift, but it is not strictly necessary).

To use the compass (any compass actually), the only requirement is that the compass is kept more or less horizontal while taking the reading which, in this case, means your wrist. It's doable while driving, but a bit distracting. The watch, like the ProTreks, also doesn't take readings continuosly but only for a few seconds at a time, which means you would have to press the button over and over while driving.

You might want to get a dashboard compass or a GPS instead, which would be always ready right in front of your eyes.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Re: bolt on...

While you are deciding, maybe you can buy a suunto clipper wrist compass and just stick it on your existing watch strap. Less than $10 until you get down to business. It hangs onto a g shock or nato equally well.

looks good ! do you think I can find this clipper on the net ? I'll search it later

1 - 20 of 23 Posts