ANALOG v. DIGITAL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

A few years back analog G-Shocks were in a minority and digital were way more popular. These days we see more and more hands on G's, some have dual digital and analog features. Casio must have their reasons for the new trend. I wonder what G owners think about this and what is their preference?

I served in the military and law enforcement - now retired, so that maybe the reason for my preference of DIGITAL time only. I also prefer it displayed as 24hr time not 'P'

IMO some these new models are just too fussy with hands, windows and bezels with world cities and some are just too damn big!

·
Registered
19,230 Posts
I think ana-digit watches are more practical, they work the same way like mechanical chronograph watches, you always have the current time and other activities are in the background.

I'm a professional [desk] diver.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I have always been and will always be an avid liker for pure digital watches. I know there are avid fans of Analog watches here too, and I do not intent to hurt anyone's feelings here. However, as a personal opinion, those multifunctional analogs dials are way too busy and using the functions are way too complicated!!!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I voted for digital only and analogue only. I like digital only for travelling, as I find it easier to read the time precisely to make it to flights and train rides on time. Whereas for daily use in the office I prefer analogue only, better for reading passage of time so I know how long till the boring meetings end...

Never had an ana-digi, been tempted a few times, but they never look right to me when I see them in real life. The digital cut out looks like a disruption to the harmony of an analogue dial

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Analog vs Digital?
Split decision IMHO.
Like both. What is a turn off is the Digi/Anolog models.
One or the other. In my 8 GShock collction I have 4 Digis
and 6 Analogs, Find myself wearing Analogs at night and Digis
during daylight hours.
Fave G is the 3000 b b 1.

X traindriver Art

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Typo error
I should have typed "in my 10 watch GShock collection"
4 Digitals and 6 Analogs. Sorry for the typo error.

X traindriver Art

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
There are not a whole lot of Analog Only G's, and they tend to be more expensive ones. That's why I don't have any Analog Only G as of yet, though I do have non-G analogs which need manual date/day adjustments. Manual analogs, as I called them, are more for their appearance rather than their utility. They belong more to collectibles and jewelries, and that's why they still exist in today's technological world. Analog G's, however, are high tech gadgets with multiple motors control for adjustment of the hands and sub-dials. Unfortunately, they tend to be over complicated and still pretty weak for providing the chronograph features. For example, some analog G's have only a 24 Minutes chronograph, when we have 24 hours chronograph widely and cheaply available in digitals. But, I guess people still like them because of their bold styles and looks.

I do have both digital and ana-digi G's and non-G's, as well. I found that, Ana-Digi's no matter how hard they tried to be the best in both world, they will fail. They provide both analog hands and digital display(s), and a lot of times with sacrifice. They should really be treated as a category on its own. Digital G's, as you know them, are pure utilitarian tools.

So I say, if you are curious about how they differ, get 1 of each to try them out. ;-) If you want a true utilitarian watch, stick with Digital.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I voted for digital only and analogue only. I like digital only for travelling, as I find it easier to read the time precisely to make it to flights and train rides on time. Whereas for daily use in the office I prefer analogue only, better for reading passage of time so I know how long till the boring meetings end...

Never had an ana-digi, been tempted a few times, but they never look right to me when I see them in real life. The digital cut out looks like a disruption to the harmony of an analogue dial
Wow I am the same way.

·
Registered
160 Posts
As much as I like the way analog G-Shocks look, the digital ones are much more practical. The analog watches can only display one data point at a time and are very slow cycling through functions. The analog-digital ones are only marginally better. The digital watches like the Rangeman offer instant access to the most important functions, whereas this would take at least several seconds to cycle to using an analog.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Right now I have two digital and one ana-digi. I really like the straight digis better. Not that I don't like analog...I just find digital easier to use throughout the day. There's no thought, just look and see the time. I usually prefer analog for dressing up (although I have rocked my DW5600 with a suit). To me it seems like the digital G's module would be less prone to damage and/or malfunction than the analog...just a thought.

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
I voted for digital only. But that said, I also appreciate analogs as well as ana-digis, and have them all in my collection. If it came down to one of the three I'd choose digital (in a G or Protrek at least). But for now, analogs and ana-digis have their place too. Don't make me give up my GPW-1000 or Mudmaster! :rodekaart LOL

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
I do have both digital and ana-digi G's and non-G's, as well. I found that, Ana-Digi's no matter how hard they tried to be the best in both world, they will fail. They provide both analog hands and digital display(s), and a lot of times with sacrifice. They should really be treated as a category on its own. Digital G's, as you know them, are pure utilitarian tools.
by that way of thinking both all analog and all digital also "fail" with sacrifice. digital fails with looks (going by general concensus, not my personal opinion) and analog fails with functionality and/or the ease of access of it.
an anadigi is predominantly an analog so really the digital side is to make the use of the analog easier and that it does and does much better and provides much more functionality in general than a plain analog. accessing modes on a gpw or gwa is painfully slow while waiting for the hands to spin around (looks cool but it gets old fast) compare that to the gwg and its pretty much as fast as a full digital.
i def. wouldnt call it the best of both worlds as the best from both of those worlds simply cant exist together. that said the gwg comes pretty damn close |>

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
as for the poll, i own all 3 kinds and think theres a time and place for all of them so couldnt really choose only one. if i had to tho, it would be digital for praticality sake but it would be kind of like having to choose between shorts, pants or those hiking pants where you can zip the bottoms off, they all cover your private business but i doubt anyone would want to only wear one kind for their whole life.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
by that way of thinking both all analog and all digital also "fail" with sacrifice. digital fails with looks (going by general concensus, not my personal opinion) and analog fails with functionality and/or the ease of access of it.
an anadigi is predominantly an analog so really the digital side is to make the use of the analog easier and that it does and does much better and provides much more functionality in general than a plain analog. accessing modes on a gpw or gwa is painfully slow while waiting for the hands to spin around (looks cool but it gets old fast) compare that to the gwg and its pretty much as fast as a full digital.
i def. wouldnt call it the best of both worlds as the best from both of those worlds simply cant exist together. that said the gwg comes pretty damn close |>
I do agree with most of what you said. Yes, an ana-digi adds more functions to a plain analog. But don't forget at the same time, it reduces functions from a plain digital. For example, reduction in range for timer and stopwatch. That's not all, an ana-digi often only provides either a small digital display or multiple small displays, which are hard to read, especially for those with poorer eye sights. There are those rarer ones that use a full LCD screen (see example below), but then they make the hands harder to see. Unfortunately, there is really no best solution for incorporating both analog hands and digital display(s) in the same among of space as an analog or a digital. It's always a trade off! So, there goes what I was saying/implying: no matter how hard they try, ana-digi's simply cannot replace either digital or analog, but only a niche on their own.

aqw101.jpg

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I do agree with most of what you said. Yes, an ana-digi adds more functions to a plain analog. But don't forget at the same time, it reduces functions from a plain digital. For example, reduction in range for timer and stopwatch. That's not all, an ana-digi often only provides either a small digital display or multiple small displays, which are hard to read, especially for those with poorer eye sights. There are those rarer ones that use a full LCD screen (see example below), but then they make the hands harder to see. Unfortunately, there is really no best solution for incorporating both analog hands and digital display(s) in the same among of space as an analog or a digital. It's always a trade off! So, there goes what I was saying/implying: no matter how hard they try, ana-digi's simply cannot replace either digital or analog, but only a niche on their own.
Or stick to the 'twincept' design!!!
21987085213_a2de2f5eb4_b.jpg

Picture credit: Mitch100 on this thread

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Guys:
Here is my rationale regarding Digi vs Analog.
IMHO in the workplace, the Digi outshines the Analog

In my after retirement job I monitor the entrants to a
Doctors office building. Visitors need to sign in a visitors
log. Stating name, desired suite number and time they
entered. Many don't have watches so I advise them of the
time. Much easier IMO using a Digi.

X traindriver Art

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
When it comes to G-Shocks specifically, I prefer digital only. Although I could see a Super Mudmaster in my future, I generally don't like analog/digital combos. Most days I wear a mechanical watch. So yeah, tough question and I'm all over the board on my answer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts