WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a DH 1970 in August 2020 and I'm not satisfied by the product to say the least.
In the FAQ sections, the Dan Henry 1970 is defined as "designed for heavy marine use". Even though it is actually water proof and I'll never go scuba diving with it, there is no way to get the inner rotating bezel to stay put: every time I look at my watch it has randomly rotated somewhere else and therefore it is impossible to rely on it.
That's not the worse aspect of this issue: I got in contact with the support and I got told that it is normal and it would get harder with time.
I got back to them again today, and this was their answer:

Hi pedro1991,

they are all the same and we can not do anything about it...

Sincerely,
Dan
It's been 5 month now, and it did not get harder..
I've now asked for a refund which I doubt they'll agree to and I don't know how to get my rights fullfilled since I live in Italy.
Am I the only one in this situation? What would you advise me to do (beside never buying from dan herny again?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't argue with the quality, a faulty piece can happen to everyone, but telling me that it will fix itself? That's offensive..
Btw, do you confirm that rotation bazel on your 1970 won't run around as you look at it? Maybe it's supposed to be "sensible", but I happen to get to the end of the day and find it misplaced without even looking at it.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Where on your wrist do you wear your watch? Do you wear it below (towards the hand) the bone or above (towards the elbow) the bone? Do you wear the strap/bracelet loose so the watch can move around, or more snuggly?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where on your wrist do you wear your watch? Do you wear it below (towards the hand) the bone or above (towards the elbow) the bone? Do you wear the strap/bracelet loose so the watch can move around, or more snuggly?
It is quite lose as it can slide over the bone but, quoting mr. Dan himself:

The development of practical diving equipment allowed mere mortals to relive the adventures of Jacques Cousteau beneath the sea. Those intrepid thrill-seekers needed reliable watches that could help them to calculate when to return to the surface.
this is no Swarowski, if the problem is caused by wearing the watch on my wrist but just not as Dan intended it's still ridiculous..

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
Did you buy a Dan Henry watch for the purpose of scuba diving because their FAQ says they are ‘designed for heavy marine use’?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Could it possibly be that your wrist or hand is making contact with the crown that controls the inner bezel, thus causing it to move?

If you're wearing the watch loosely on the wrist (i.e. below the bone and thus closer to your hand), it's not impossible for the watch to have slid down against your hand during the course of the day and jogged the crown enough to move the inner bezel.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
OP, I have a 1962 with no known issues at this time. But mine does not have any rotating bezels.

Does the 2 o'clock crown unscrew before you can rotate the inner bezel?

DH has a one year warranty if there is a real issue.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts

this is no Swarowski, if the problem is caused by wearing the watch on my wrist but just not as Dan intended it's still ridiculous..
My suspicion is that the inner bezel is moving during the day while you wear the watch because you wear your watch low and/or loose on the wrist and the crown is rubbing against the back of your hand, causing it to turn. A diver would be wearing the watch high on the wrist and tight, preventing the crown from making contact with the back of the hand.

Unless, of course, what you are saying is that the bezel is moving independently of the crown.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
OP, I have a 1962 with no known issues at this time. But mine does not have any rotating bezels.

Does the 2 o'clock crown unscrew before you can rotate the inner bezel?

DH has a one year warranty if there is a real issue.
I don't believe the second crown is screw-down, which is typical of classic compressors and many modern watches done in the compressor style.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I don't believe the second crown is screw-down, which is typical of classic compressors and many modern watches done in the compressor style.
Correct - it is not a screw-down crown. The 2 o'clock crown appears to rotate quite easily based on some of the review videos posted to Youtube. I think you're probably right with the back of the hand making contact with the crown during the day.

·
Registered
124 Posts
OP, so sorry to hear about your experience. I have 2 1970s... the original and the newer one. Neither has the issue you're describing.

That doesn't mean it's not a bonafide issue and it's genuinely disappointing to hear how you've been treated by DH support.

Maybe this thread will help convince them that they should help you if nothing more than to protect their brand's reputation.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
The reason I asked is that my Hamilton Khaki Navy has a screw-down crown at 2 o'clock so the inner bezel stays where you set it once the crown is screwed back down.

So it sounds like the OP's 2 o'clock crown is moving a bit too freely for his liking. Whether this warrants a trip back to the factory I have no idea.

My only contact with their customer service dept. was to discuss how the pin buckle might come off since I wanted to put on a single-fold deployant. They said I should not attempt this at all and should take it to a watchmaker. It ended up just being a spring bar so easy to swap out.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had the same problem with a compressor case from another manufacturer. It moved by rubbing against my hand, but it could also be moved by shaking the watch. Made it feel really cheap and nasty.

I understand exactly how you feel about this, OP.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My suspicion is that the inner bezel is moving during the day while you wear the watch because you wear your watch low and/or loose on the wrist and the crown is rubbing against the back of your hand, causing it to turn. A diver would be wearing the watch high on the wrist and tight, preventing the crown from making contact with the back of the hand.

Unless, of course, what you are saying is that the bezel is moving independently of the crown.
This is a very good point and a plausible explanation. I wear my watches on my right wrist specifically so I don't have crowns digging into my hands. OP, maybe go righty for a week to see if that fixes it?

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
I don't own that watch or any Dan Henry. But, the dual crown, internal bezel watch that I do own has the same "characteristic." Very easy to turn the bezel crown. Disappointing. So I don't use that watch to time mission critical events. It works fine for cooking rice or frozen pizzas. I own another watch (or three) to use in life or death situations.

·
Registered
Baltic, Rolex Sub, Oris 7415, Omega SM600, Seiko 6309, Precista PRS 82, CW C65 GMT
109 Posts
Correct - it is not a screw-down crown. The 2 o'clock crown appears to rotate quite easily based on some of the review videos posted to Youtube. I think you're probably right with the back of the hand making contact with the crown during the day.
I have a Christopher Ward C65 that only has a pull out crown (ridiculous for a watch advertised as a diver) I noticed soon after getting it the time changed and I thought I had a faulty movement. I wear watches with bracelets slightly loose and it turned out that the crown was occasionally being pulled when my wrist bent back and then forward. It took a while to work out as My wrist movement had pushed the crown back in after moving the crown slightly and adjusting the time by 5 or 10 mins or so. It was only when it occurred and I found the crown fully out (hacked) that I realised what was happening.
As for going diving with anything other than a unidirectional bezel with good resistance then good luck! I’ve never thought a bi directional inner ring without a locking crown was or is a sensible idea!

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts

@pedro1991 - doesn’t sound very good .... I have 4 DH watches including the 1970 and I don’t find the crown you’re talking about as very ‘movable’ - but I have mostly vintage also (which is why I like DH) and wear a different watch every day and I don’t dive......... 3 things strike me:

(1) excluding the hand position discussion, some here have said their’s doesn’t seem as loose, my experience also, so your’s sounds more like a defect = REFUND, (2) I agree mission critical timing like diving needs more then a F_ $260 watch, (3) lastly i had better (earlier) customer service help so given DH watches have ‘taken off’ is this mid-stage product-cycle, (‘we’re great now so we don’t need to support customers ?’) !!

The reply you copied explains some of this, ‘attitude’, Sorry for you !!! S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you buy a Dan Henry watch for the purpose of scuba diving because their FAQ says they are ‘designed for heavy marine use’?

As stated in the opening post, I never even scuba dived in my life.
On the other hand, the inner bazel is designed to keep track of time and it's obviously not doing it.
I don't know if it's bad desing, a faulty item or whatever other option, it just won't do what it's supposed to.

@nbardach: wouldn't wearing it on the right hand make it rub on the upper section of the arm?

@Ten-Ten: I wasn't planning to use that feature in save-the-world situations, but how can I be the stereotypical italian if I overcook precious pasta because of the faulty bezel?

@Everyone: I also feel it's very plausible that the cause of the issue might be the crown rubbing on the back of my hand but again, it's a watch we're talking about, I feel like if you design a product that's supposed to go on a wrist you should account for the hand..?

Thanks for the support!

1 - 20 of 119 Posts