WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this watch several years ago so out of warranty and not something that a warranty would generally cover. My bezel was deeply dinged and the bezel fell off after a very light bang against the edge of my car door. I am a very careful watch wearer, when I know I'm going to the gym or doing manual work I will throw on a Seiko Monster or some such. The watch is part of a pretty deep rotation so I would say it was worn twice a month for 2+years. I have several dozen watches and none of my other watches show any serious signs of wear besides strap changes and desk diving per normal. Perhaps there is some rule of physics that explains this but I am extremely disappointed with the outcome of my experience with the Glycine Combat Sub and while I will wax poetic about a watch that kicks butt I am equally willing to let others know about my own bad experience with a product. Here's a shot of the watch now, sans bezel and you can see the serious ding on the bezel @ 11 o' clock. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can see where the serrated edge of the bezel just smooshed in like I was opening a can of tuna fish. I didn't even look at the watch after the light bang as I really couldn't imagine such light contact impacting a watch that is not sold on tv.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. While I imagine you had bad luck, Glycine's cheaper lines always looked a little lacking in pics and made me wonder about how well made it really was...

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Dave,
You won't like this, but, you might contact Glycine and ask if this can be fixed soon. They'll probably tell you to connect with the US distributor and find the Authorized Dealer/Repair place in the US.
Since you bought it pre-owned perhaps the previous owner fiddled with the bezel. It just doesn't just fall off with a slight bump.....In any event it won't be a cheap fix, cost of parts, labor and insured postage will really be more disappointed in your Glycine Combat Sub.....

Bought this watch several years ago so out of warranty and not something that a warranty would generally cover. My bezel was deeply dinged and the bezel fell off after a very light bang against the edge of my car door. I am a very careful watch wearer, when I know I'm going to the gym or doing manual work I will throw on a Seiko Monster or some such. The watch is part of a pretty deep rotation so I would say it was worn twice a month for 2+years. I have several dozen watches and none of my other watches show any serious signs of wear besides strap changes and desk diving per normal. Perhaps there is some rule of physics that explains this but I am extremely disappointed with the outcome of my experience with the Glycine Combat Sub and while I will wax poetic about a watch that kicks butt I am equally willing to let others know about my own bad experience with a product. Here's a shot of the watch now, sans bezel and you can see the serious ding on the bezel @ 11 o' clock. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
So have you contacted Glycine to purchase the part or their authorized repair center who is; [email protected]

Based upon my previous experience and knowledge regarding the restrictive parts supply policies of almost every Swiss watch manufacturer, it is extremely unlikely that Glycine would provide anyone outside of the factory service system with a repair part.

While not specific to Glycine, what usually takes place if one contacts the factory about accessing a repair part, is that one is directed to send the watch to the factory service center. The service center will provide a quote for repair that will almost always include a full service at $600 to $700 with the requested replacement bezel at an additional charge.

Unless the client accepts the quote in its entirety, the service center will decline to perform any repair. The client is left with two choices: Pay the requested amount or toss the watch in the sock drawer. For list of restricting brands, which while large is not complete, listing only the more popular brands, see List of Watch Brands with Restrictive Repair Parts Policies For further discussion of the restrictive policies, see Do You Truly Own Your Watch.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not going to spend $500 to repair a watch that cost $600. I like having a watch at this price point that can take a punch...it's too bad because the attraction of the Glycine sub is its thinness which may be what also proves its undoing. This one will go on the auction block on another forum where we donate watches for charity or I could just bedazzle the current bezel ;) I do like having a watch at this price point, good for travel and outdoors times. May give the Archimede Outdoor Protect a try, Ickler has always made good stuff, I've had pilots, a Limes and a Defakto Akkord and they are built for the long haul.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Based upon my previous experience and knowledge regarding the restrictive parts supply policies of almost every Swiss watch manufacturer, it is extremely unlikely that Glycine would provide anyone outside of the factory service system with a repair part.

While not specific to Glycine, what usually takes place if one contacts the factory about accessing a repair part, is that one is directed to send the watch to the factory service center. The service center will provide a quote for repair that will almost always include a full service at $600 to $700 with the requested replacement bezel at an additional charge.

Unless the client accepts the quote in its entirety, the service center will decline to perform any repair. The client is left with two choices: Pay the requested amount or toss the watch in the sock drawer. For list of restricting brands, which while large is not complete, listing only the more popular brands, see List of Watch Brands with Restrictive Repair Parts Policies For further discussion of the restrictive policies, see Do You Truly Own Your Watch.

Good morning,
I am the authorized service center for Glycine and I will say that the assumption in this case that the charges will come to $600-$700 is unfounded and incorrect. The price for bezels on the combat sub range from $80-$140 and labor charges range from $50-$100 if no mechanical work is required. Glycine has also always approved sales of parts to authorized retailers as many watch brands do. The assumed cost to repair this watch is really unfair and since I have been the service center we have never mandated a complete overhaul for a cosmetic issue. I have been the authorized service center since 2009ish (I can't remember the exact year I got the contract).

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Mr. Saltzman,

It's nice that you look at this site and state your expertise in this matter. I had a Glycine Observer repaired by your shop and was very satisfied with your work and warranty repair.

Good morning,
I am the authorized service center for Glycine and I will say that the assumption in this case that the charges will come to $600-$700 is unfounded and incorrect. The price for bezels on the combat sub range from $80-$140 and labor charges range from $50-$100 if no mechanical work is required. Glycine has also always approved sales of parts to authorized retailers as many watch brands do. The assumed cost to repair this watch is really unfair and since I have been the service center we have never mandated a complete overhaul for a cosmetic issue. I have been the authorized service center since 2009ish (I can't remember the exact year I got the contract).

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Perhaps the answer for you is a non rotating bezel watch. There are a few inner rotating bezel watches around, the ones that use another stem to operate. Glycine in general makes solid quality watches and little bumps won't dislodge a bezel. If that owner said he owned it from new and this just happened, I'd be a little suspicious. Since you said that you've owned it for a number of years and this is what happened after so long of ownership.....

For me bottom line I am not interested in watches with this lack of build quality.

·
Registered
20,563 Posts
Maybe the metal used for the bezel is too soft.

Anyway it looks worse than my 20 years old watch, you should get it fixed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mr. Saltzman,

It's nice that you look at this site and state your expertise in this matter. I had a Glycine Observer repaired by your shop and was very satisfied with your work and warranty repair.
Thank you,
I try to participate, but usually am a quiet observer. Thank you for the kind words and I hope to serve you again, Although you probably do not!

·
Registered
763 Posts
So your combat sub has a battle scar... Am I missing something here? Go and get some rubber cement, glue the insert back in and carry on. Epoxy it if you're really concerned.

This isn't a quality issue. If you've been in this game long enough you're bound to have things like this happen. I just had to pop and re-align my Seiko 6139 bezel because I banged it leaving a dent bigger than yours. Adds character. I've come home to find substantial dings on 904L that left me baffled on how they got there. When I put a gouge and scratch through the ceramic bezel of my 116710 I chalked it up as the cost of ownership and me being careless. I didn't cry about Rolex quality but got it repaired. Maybe watches aren't your thing?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts