WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a G that has a display that is at least that of an Ironman? I've yet to find anything with text the size of the new ironman displays. The Timex Ironman Shock is becoming a great continder but I'd much rather have that G.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
How about this one:

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
My MTG-700 has the biggest digits of any of my watches. Unfortunately I don't have any shots to compare against.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The DW56RT has the largest, boldest, deepest, and most legible display, that I've seen, of any current model G-Shock.

I'm actually not too big on the Timex Shock displays. It's a lot of screen to have to look at, just to see the time, and the font is not very bold. I'm actually able to read the time on a G-shock much quicker than on a Timex Shock.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
I've seen them in the shops and although I do like the height of the figures, the width just doesn't seem in proportion. A bit anorexic you might say.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I'm not a fan of the big Timex displays either. Another G with a decent sized, clear display is the G-7500.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I wonder if BearFlagger means the size of the display area, rather than what is displayed.

As far as I can tell, the display area hardly varies whatever the overall size of the watch. Casio might want to address this sometime. With solar panels and waveceptor symbols to accommodate, space is at a premium.

Looking down at the G-5600 on my wrist, the display area measures approximately 2cm x 1.5cm, while the watch head measures approximately 4.25cm x 3.25cm. In other words, the display area is around 20-25% of the whole watch. Not much.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
I'm actually not too big on the Timex Shock displays. It's a lot of screen to have to look at, just to see the time, and the font is not very bold.
I actually prefer the larger numeral used by Timex. some of their older screens didn't have very good contrast, but their new ones are excellent and readily visible. To me the issue is not so much seeing the time, but easily and readily seeing all the other functions of the watch while in use. This is especially true of timing features. I find the the high contrast screens and the larger numerals, combined with the overall cleaner display, just makes the Timex's more user friendly.

If only Timex build their watches to the same overall construction quality as Casio.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Since getting watches from Suunto and Origo, I find that my attitude to my MudMan has changed in that the digits now seem stupidly small and the amount of space given over to the digital display seems small in relation the the size of the face of the watch. I haven't actually worn it in ages...

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Take a look at the 1300 series of Protrek. Huge digits, all the bells and whistles, and shows time in all of the modes (plus 24 hr CDT and 24hr. stopwatch:-!) I plan to get one just for those reasons, and the atomic solar doesn't hurt either.

Also the affordable G-8000 has big digits and shows the time in all modes and has the 24hr CDT and STW.:-!

Kev

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I agree with perfectlykevin.
Look at one of the pathfinders or protreks.

I've got the PRG80 and that's one of the reasons I wear it on a regular basis.
From what I understand the 1300 is even nicer due to it's smaller case.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
I find the Timex displays like this one

(borrowed from above)
tend to have not enough "dead" space between the numerals etc. Making them look crowded. Which makes them harder to read IMO.

The pathfinders are better in this regard, or even the Suuntos...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I find the standard silver background is much easier to see. I've done comparisons between gold, green, and silver LCDs in low light conditions and found silver was always much clearer. That's one thing I don't like about Timex. A lot of the displays are green. They look cool in bright light though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts