WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I must say I'm very disappointed with Omega and their service. I have a moonwatch from 1999, now 8 year after the initial purchase I sent it to Omega for a complete service. This was VERY expensive, but I figured that it was worth it knowing that it will be properly done.

After waiting two months, I got the watch back. It looked perfect, new crown, new pushers, polished etc. It seemed to be working fine, but I noticed that the chrono sometimes wouldn't start after pressing the pusher. The chrono worked maybe 19 times out of 20, but it bugged me that something could be wrong. Just to be sure I sent it back. Omega then found a part to be broken and replaced it. Strange that Omega would deliver a watch with a broken part, but OK.

Yesterday the watch showed the same problem again. Nothing to do but to send it back again and wait another two months.

I have read through the forum, everyone is stating that the Speedmaster is bullet proof, but I start to wonder if this really is the case. I would like the watch back as it was before the service, then it worked perfectly. I'm just so frustrated, I thought it would pay off to let the pros do the service, but I just feel that I wasted a lot of money...

I just wanted to tell someone about my frustration...

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
I would like the watch back as it was before the service, then it worked perfectly.

If I may ask, Airbus. Why did you send it in if it was running perfectly? Running for 9 years without a problem, seems pretty dependable to me. I don't know your wearing habits, but, many have wound their Speedy every day and have had it run continuously for for many, many years, try that with an automobile. I do feel your frustration and hope everything turns out positively. In the meantime, I would be looking for a good independent watchmaker. David

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Join the club!
Switzerland has an acute shortage of experienced watch technicians. Omega is probably not immune to the situation. To compound the problem, since Omegamania, their service center has been overwhelmed by the number of vintage watches coming in for refurbishment. At the moment, it can take up to seven months to get a watch serviced. Pressure to get pieces out the door early, may have led to shoddy workmanship.
I sent three watches for full overhaul this year. The first one was perfect, the second one has to go back for a daywheel replacement and I'm still waiting anxiously for the third one (May 08).
That said, I still think Omega Bienne is the most reliable place to service your expensive or unusual watches.
Not fun, but keep sending it in, until it is fixed to your liking.
Thierry

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Thats a mouthful David...........

A well trained watchmaker is your best bet for ANY watch that needs repair. There are horror stories for every type of watch made. Omega
is no exception. Find that watchmaker, get to know him, his credentials and abilities and move on. I would not even send a new Omega under
warranty back to omega for service.
The old saying, "fix it till its broke" applies here. If that watch is running fine and within 10-20 secs a day, I wouldn't touch it if it was 25 years old. Others will disagree, but its worked for me all these years and some are that old with no problems. Hope it works out for you.
jim

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Moose is right, independent watchmaker all the way. Find someone you can trust then trust them! It is always going to be difficult to get a large impersonal organisation to care like a small personal one does, that's just life.

However, I think that blaming the Speedmaster because some fool broke it is a bit unfair on your Speedy.

The Speedy is indeed bulletproof - yet somehow I know it is only a matter of time until someone puts up a photo of a Speedy Pro with a .44 crater in the middle of it. I can see the post now:

'Everyone says the Speedy is bullet proof, yet I only shot it once and it stopped - and Bienne say I have invalidated my warranty'.

Any Tz emigres - this is NOT a challenge ... you know who I mean!

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
Re: Thats a mouthful David...........

A well trained watchmaker is your best bet for ANY watch that needs repair. There are horror stories for every type of watch made. Omega
is no exception. Find that watchmaker, get to know him, his credentials and abilities and move on. I would not even send a new Omega under
warranty back to omega for service.
The old saying, "fix it till its broke" applies here. If that watch is running fine and within 10-20 secs a day, I wouldn't touch it if it was 25 years old. Others will disagree, but its worked for me all these years and some are that old with no problems. Hope it works out for you.
jim
not to mention the fact that you can strangle a local watchmaker if he screw up your watch. Much cheaper than flying to Bienne to do it. :) - David

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
you need to write and tell omega this. there is a website for omega that you can use to contact them. for the cost of a new movement it seems to me they should just replace it all for you not just the broken part.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Watch forums are a great source of information and the best advice I have received over the years has been:
  • Never buy a new Speedmaster Professional.
  • Always use a local watchmaker.
So far, so good.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
While I think Jim M's idea of cultivating a local watchmaker to do our work is probably going to be my style when I need service, it doesn't address Airbus's complaint about "authorized service". These complaints are becoming more and more numerous and more denigrating to Omega's reputation. Jim has found a solution that works for him, but the non WIS users will merely cross Omega off their list in the future.

I'm sure Omega is aware of the problem, but until the system rights itself and more skilled watchmakers are available and have acquired experience, it's likely to get worse before it gets better. This excuse, however, begs the question of why do we read far more of these tales in the Omega world compared with Rolex? Has Rolex cornered the market on experienced and skilled personnel or do their devotees just not report the problems they have with service as much?

Lastly, Airbus didn't specify what service facility he used. We seem to be assuming that Bienne was the facility...or could it have been another such as the infamous Secaucus, NJ center? <| For the record, Airbus, where did your watch go?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Re: Disappointed

Local tradesman, such as a watchmaker, car mechanic or even a butcher can be a godsend. You often get an individual who is dedicated to their trade and has been apprentice trained. But often the trouble is finding one these days. Too many big faceless corporations. I'd thought I found a good local watch mender. The set up looked like that. Small independent trader, work bench right behind the sales counter. So I asked a few questions when I took my SMP bracelet in for re-sizing. Two questions that sprung to mind were, do you pressure test for waterproofness (is that the right word?) and can you service Omega's when the time comes to needing one. I got an answer of "Yes.....we can do that.....all we would do is send them to the manufacturer" I guess their idea of watch mending is replacing batteries and resizing bracelets.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Ugh...It's always horrible to hear stories like this, and I sympathize with your situation, Airbus. I'm wondering, too, which Omega Service Center you sent it to. Bienne has a reputation for doing fine work, albeit slowly. On the other hand, I've heard of too many issues like this from Secaucus, NJ. In fact, I had my own bad experience, when I sent in a vintage c.1045 Speedmaster. Basically, they used the wrong size screw on the bottom pusher, resulting in problems with the chrono hands resetting.

All that being said, I wouldn't let this effect your opinion of the Speedmaster as a solid, reliable watch. It sounds like a problem with the servicing.

Try to hang in there. Hopefully, you'll have it back very soon.

eric

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In fact

Thank you all for your input. I don't know very much about watches, I just happen to like my Speedmaster very much and wanted the best for it. Reading through your answers, it seems like I should have sent it to a local watch repair instead.

In fact the watch went to Bienne...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Airbus, sorry to hear about your problem. I am sure it will work out for you in the end.

I think the cultivation of a local watchmaker is a very wise idea. I plan on searching out a good watchmaker here in the Wilmington, DE area.

I would just like to make one observation: Since I began my search for a Speedmaster Professional, I have read several horror stories about Omega's service. What I haven't read are stories where people praise Omega's service. Seems we (myself included) are quick to write about the negatives, but don't write about the positives in the same fervor. Something to thing about.

·
Registered
714 Posts
While I think Jim M's idea of cultivating a local watchmaker to do our work is probably going to be my style when I need service, it doesn't address Airbus's complaint about "authorized service". These complaints are becoming more and more numerous and more denigrating to Omega's reputation. Jim has found a solution that works for him, but the non WIS users will merely cross Omega off their list in the future.

I'm sure Omega is aware of the problem, but until the system rights itself and more skilled watchmakers are available and have acquired experience, it's likely to get worse before it gets better. This excuse, however, begs the question of why do we read far more of these tales in the Omega world compared with Rolex? Has Rolex cornered the market on experienced and skilled personnel or do their devotees just not report the problems they have with service as much?

Lastly, Airbus didn't specify what service facility he used. We seem to be assuming that Bienne was the facility...or could it have been another such as the infamous Secaucus, NJ center? <| For the record, Airbus, where did your watch go?
You couldn't have summed up my thoughts better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In reading this thread, I am now second guessing the value of sending my Ploprof to Bienne after the holidays. Does anyone know of a reputable watchmaker in the AZ/NM/CO area capable of handling this? Thanks for the input.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts