WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't for the life of me understand why in every brand of watch almost there are so many different dive models????? It must be a fashion sense because I find it hard to believe that there is a need for so many dive models to exist for "actual divers" (people who do indeed dive). Because mainly the vast majority of so called dive models really don't fit the bill or what one would want or need in the profession.

I have seen a few models from alot of brands that seem to be truly dive oriented watches that are for the sport.

Marketing I assume placates this need to produce so many different faces of a dive watch.:)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
There are many models and styles of dive watches for the same reason there are many models and styles of anything. People have different tastes and do not necessarily wear a dive watch to go diving. It's a look. Like buying a 4x4 and never taking it off road. Or wearing a cowboy hat without actually being a cowboy. Serious diving is done with computers now so there really is no need for "real" dive watches.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well, I am by no means a diver- actually, never been diving- only some snorkeling down in the Caribbean. But I am a fan of a diving watch, and I can only assume there are many others who are in the same boat as I am. I dare say the many varients of diver style watches are mostly fashion driven, though, I could be wrong- happened once back in '86.

·
Banned
2,084 Posts
There are & have been the most popular & desired model of watches for many years

Good question, and one thats fairly easy to explain.

The Divers watch is the most popular type & style of watch worldwide and has been for many years for various understandable reasons...those which are most present in the reasons you as well as all of us are into Dive watches, which all have a few of the main reasons in common such as quality & heavy duty water resistant construction as well as "projection" or the look of the watch to others IMO. Maybe called the coolness factor by some, and some have reasons not so self evident to us at all times. ;-)

Dive watches do indeed rule the majority of retail & secondary used market sales and have for some time! :p

I have you could say a Military type persona and I am Diver; so the Dive watch to me is the ultimate wristwatch for those obvious reasons for me. But, I do enjoy other types of watches by many makers as well.

Regards,
Jim

What I thought. ?Guess marketing and demand drives the industry!

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Times change. I recently bought an orange monster, just for wearing casually (out of the water) on the weekends, and i enjoy it. But i would never have done that 30 years ago. Back then, i had a dive watch, and so did most of my friends, but we only wore them while diving or surfing. When we finished, we would take them off, shower, change, and strap on a lighter more comfortable standard watch of the time and head off for a night out. Today, large chunky watches are in fashion and divers are popular for general wear and are not the specific purpose watch that they used to be. As mentioned, dive computers have largely assumed that role.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I am also getting tired of the near endless listing of divers. but I still search around for the next one to buy. the only reason that I do own divers is because they're durable workhorses while also being easy to read and having no nonsense dials with little clutter. I seldom wear dress watches because I'm always finding myself doing laborious handiwork for family and friends on my off days. I also prefer watches with raised bezels to protect the crystal. Bezels are easily replaceable. the crystal... not as easy or as cheap.

·
Registered
756 Posts
It is true that a diver's watch has become a fashion accessory and that most of the people wearing one dont dive. I'm a diver and a while back when I was in college I worked in Punta Cana Dominican Republic for a few summers as a divemaster and like Glenn0 mentioned most of the local divemasters and instructors would take their dive watch off after the day and would strap on a lighter watch. As for my self I would keep my big (at the time) citizen NY2300 to go out at night since it was my only watch. My local dive buddys would always make fun of me for wearing such a big watch

Now a few year have passed and I've returned many times for vacation in Dominican Republic, mexico...etc...you can notice, like in evey big city in the world, people with a diver's watch on their wrist including the local people.

I still go once in a while clubbing and a few thing have change in the past years...for example I was in a few ''big club'' in Montreal and their you could see so many young people with large divers or divers style watch, a pair of jeans, big sorel winter boots and a canada goose fur aviator style hat on their head wearing only but a D&G or any other fashion t-shirt on top! I was not any better with my jeans with a few holes, a t-shirt, my Rolex sub and my 4 days old beard! But let me remind you that this supposedly ''relaxed anything goes'' style was carfurlly planned and thought of like most of the kids that go out. ;)

I still like the suit and tie look with a nice big classic diver on my wrist also!

Anything goes I just like it that way I can get up in the morning trow a pair of jeans, a t-shirt and walked out the door to go for breakfast and dont have to worry about my bed hair cuz it's in style! :p

So for every person there's a diver's watch out there whether it's square, round or with purple spots someone will call it their Grail and that's what keep this forum alive!

·
Registered
89 Posts
...like have a chronograph. How many of use are actually using it to time something. Mostly I think having some extra little dials on the dial and more buttons looks cool.

·
Registered
756 Posts
...like have a chronograph. How many of use are actually using it to time something. Mostly I think having some extra little dials on the dial and more buttons looks cool.
Well I don't know about most of you guys but I use my bezel to time stuff almost every day! While diving, at the gym for timing between sets, when I cook food, while I travel, etc...

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Well I don't know about most of you guys but I use my bezel to time stuff almost every day! While diving, at the gym for timing between sets, when I cook food, while I travel, etc...
I have a dedicated interval timer for working out.

I really don't understand about using the bezel or a timer to cook food. I never ever felt the need or see the purpose of timing myself when cooking. except for boiling eggs or baking something dough based, I don't see how counting the minutes could assist anyone in simple cooking when all they have to do is either poke the food or give it a taste test

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have a dedicated interval timer for working out.

I really don't understand about using the bezel or a timer to cook food. I never ever felt the need or see the purpose of timing myself when cooking. except for boiling eggs or baking something dough based, I don't see how counting the minutes could assist anyone in simple cooking when all they have to do is either poke the food or give it a taste test

18 min for cajun salmon is the magic time...no need to poke or taste. Give me more time to check my stocks ;-)

·
Registered
756 Posts
I am also getting tired of the near endless listing of divers. but I still search around for the next one to buy. the only reason that I do own divers is because they're durable workhorses while also being easy to read and having no nonsense dials with little clutter. I seldom wear dress watches because I'm always finding myself doing laborious handiwork for family and friends on my off days. I also prefer watches with raised bezels to protect the crystal. Bezels are easily replaceable. the crystal... not as easy or as cheap.

Obviously you buy divers watches for style because all you need for a ''durable workhorses, easy to read for doing laborious handiwork for family and friends on my off days'' is a G-Shock. So this being said you buy for style therefore your style is not everyones style this is why the endless listing of divers.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Obviously you buy divers watches for style because all you need for a ''durable workhorses, easy to read for doing laborious handiwork for family and friends on my off days'' is a G-Shock. So this being said you buy for style therefore your style is not everyones style this is why the endless listing of divers.
I have G-Shocks and as well and use them just as much as my divers (the screen name G-Junkie should be a clue of what watches I like). I didn't mention it because it's simply not relevant to the thread at that moment.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
18 min for cajun salmon is the magic time...no need to poke or taste. Give me more time to check my stocks ;-)
stocks needs little maintenance and shouldn't have to be checked on at all. just let them simmer and it just works itself out. The only time you should be tending the stockpot is only to skim the skum or to strain it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
(the screen name G-Junkie should be a clue of what watches I like)..

Oh ok...I thought it was for Gnosticism...now I understand

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think it depends on the person, for me I choose an orange monster because I love swimming, and have poor eyesight so I figured a dive watch was best for a watch that would spend a lot of time in the water. However most just buy what they wear because they like the style. It all depends on who's buying.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts