WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. I’m looking for a waterproof strap that’s not rubber or cloth (canvas, etc.). I prefer leather. The Hirsch Runner and Mariner have caught my eye (100m water resistant). They’re 50% - 70% the cost of the Hirsch performance straps. Does anybody have any experience with these straps? The strap will go on a dive watch that will spend most of its wet time in the pool, but will see the ocean during the occasional vacation.

The Runner mentions the lining is a “rubberlike lining leather.” What the heck is that?

The Mariner says, “Lining leather: coloured diving glove.” Are diving gloves made of leather (not that I’ve seen)? What I’ve seen have been neoprene, or similar. So, what does this mean?

Any clarification of terms and/or recommendations re: the Hirsch Runner or Mariner based on real-world experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
well, 'rubberlike lining leather' probably means rubber injected leather, which, honestly, feels nothing like leather,
as for the second, no, diving gloves are not made of leather, that probably refers to something else,
but, honestly, that isn't a very good idea,
I have, and am going to, take leather straps into the ocean, swimming etc, but the pool is an entirely different thing,
even non waterproof leather has stood up admiringly well in salt water,
but constant contact with heavily chlorinated water, especially since it'll never actually dry out, will kill any strap in no time,
and even while the leather and threads hold up, the glue sure won't.
I'm all for leather in the ocean, even if I don't kidd myself it's a good idea, but for your intended use, I simply can't recommend

1 - 2 of 2 Posts