WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

· Registered
11,662 Posts
I'd love to join in, but have a previous engagement in Iraq :-| o|
You take care over there, keep your head on swivel. I just got back from there (civilian working construction). It's everything you've heard no doubt.

You guys are doing one hell of a job, with the new rolling surge in Baghdad. Take care, hopefully you get based at Union or Prosperity. Two FOB's in the IZ, great chow halls at either. Decent local merchants too (more at Prosperity). If you end up at Union, have a look in the MWR if you get time. Should be two (signed) copies of Doc. Pete's first book, "The Eve of Armageddon" in there :-!.

· Registered
185 Posts
Subkrawler, Count me in. Granted Thor (my nephew) had to tell me to look at your post, but that was about all the nudging that it took. He got me hooked on Doxas and now I'm going to take up diving again. Now that's what I call a great nephew!! I hope Doxa comes on board as a sponsor, but if they don't we'll have to have some T-shirts or hats silk screened to honor the Doxa Dive Rally 2007.
I usually can't wait for summer to come to the northern plains (North Dakota), now I'm looking forward to next November.:-! Randy

· Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Subkrawler, Count me in. Granted Thor (my nephew) had to tell me to look at your post, but that was about all the nudging that it took. He got me hooked on Doxas and now I'm going to take up diving again. Now that's what I call a great nephew!! I hope Doxa comes on board as a sponsor, but if they don't we'll have to have some T-shirts or hats silk screened to honor the Doxa Dive Rally 2007.
I usually can't wait for summer to come to the northern plains (North Dakota), now I'm looking forward to next November.:-! Randy
Randy,

Glad you're in and Thor, thanks for drumming up another diver!!

Everyone is getting really excited about the event. Ocean Frontiers has offered use of their dive classroom for meetings, seminars etc. Landmark Jewelers wants do something special for us too.

I've also been able to line up a few other things for us to do while there. A Stingray City trip is in the works. The night dive is set and a farewell BBQ for the last night is also in the works.

I'm not sure if DOXA will support it or not. I know they have some liability concerns sponsoring such an event. I'm sure all attending will sign whatever waivers are necessary to relieve them of liability, but we'll have to wait and see if they'll commit.

Great idea on the T-shirts and hats. I even had the thought of getting a patch made to sew on wetsuits or gear bags. What we do with these ideas will greatly depend on DOXA though. We'll have to be careful not to infringe on any trademarks if they don't come on board.

It will be a great event no matter who supports it. When you get together a bunch of dedicated DOXAholics who actually dive:-!, a super time is guaranteed:gold

· Registered
129 Posts
aararararararargh I'm TOOO FAR AWAY!

I would love to get in on a doxa team dive..... even though i am still trying to order my doxa...##@*** website won't take my singapore credit card at the moment (i have emailed andy!)

it would take me 22 hours direct to LAX and then another across the states and then another to grand cayman. I'd be travelling at least 40 hours sigh sigh!

how about you guys at DOXA organizing a South East Asia DOXA DIVE-IN!

I can hook it up and we'll try manado, cebu, or redang or sipadan all major cool indo-pac diving.

As long as you own a DOXA you dive :)
ps it be great to get non diving doxa owners to dive too!
NAUI and BSAC since 1992
PADI since 2001
:) tm

· Registered
48 Posts
Hello everyone,

My name is Cristian - a new member of this great DOXA community (wearing my amazing Caribbean Queen as I write this :)). I live on Grand Cayman and intend to get PADI certified in the next little while. The diving trip idea sounds great - if there's anything that I can do to help being 'on the spot' (so to speak) please don't hesitate to drop me a line. I can be reached at [email protected].

Have a great weekend,

Cristian

· Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hello everyone,

My name is Cristian - a new member of this great DOXA community (wearing my amazing Caribbean Queen as I write this :)). I live on Grand Cayman and intend to get PADI certified in the next little while. The diving trip idea sounds great - if there's anything that I can do to help being 'on the spot' (so to speak) please don't hesitate to drop me a line. I can be reached at [email protected].

Have a great weekend,

Cristian
Christian,

Great to hear from you and welcome to the forum. It's always great to have a local on scene...they always know he best places to eat.:-!

Thanks for offering to help as well, we may end up needing it. Right now I'm waiting to hear from DOXA regarding whether or not they'll support the rally. They like the idea and want to support it, if they can just protect themselves from liability.

So, you're not certified yet? I thought you had to be certified before they would let you live on the island.:-d:-d Just kidding of course but if you're not certified and living on GC, you're missing out on some of the best diving in the world, right out your back door. I have to say I'm jealous;-)

Anyways...stay tuned as I'm hoping there'll be a formal announcement for the rally in the coming weeks.|>

· Registered
185 Posts
Hey Subkrawler,

How is it going? Do you have the dates locked down yet? Still interested and would like to get my vacation days and flights locked in. Any updates would be appreciated. Thanks, Randy

· Registered
42 Posts
Im in. We go every January and it is beautiful. I bought most of my watches in George Town.

I do not dive but it would be great to go anyway.

· Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Hey Subkrawler,

How is it going? Do you have the dates locked down yet? Still interested and would like to get my vacation days and flights locked in. Any updates would be appreciated. Thanks, Randy
Randy,

The event is still set for Nov. 1st through the 6th. The prices will be close to what I already quoted. They may go up a little since I'm trying to make this trip as feature-packed as possible.

I'm in the final stages of getting everything together and should have the full announcement and itinerary up in the next couple of weeks.

If you have any more specific question that you need answered, please feel free to send me a PM.

· Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Are we there yet? ;-)
Thor, we're close man...very close. I'm waiting to get confirmation from Rick on one last detail. Hoping to make the official announcement over the weekend. Stand-by....it's going to be good!

· Registered
48 Posts
You guys may want to keep an eye on Dean - it's scheduled to arrive Monday:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

We're bunkering down now and hoping that it misses us, but if it does an Ivan the island may take a while to recover and that may affect the trip plans.

Cristian

· Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
You guys may want to keep an eye on Dean - it's scheduled to arrive Monday:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

We're bunkering down now and hoping that it misses us, but if it does an Ivan the island may take a while to recover and that may affect the trip plans.

Cristian
Christian,

Thanks for the heads-up on Dean, but I've been watching him since he was a whisper off the coast of Africa.

The rally will start on the first of Nov. so we'll have plenty of time to adjust to hurricane issues. Ocean Frontiers also has a generous refund policy. You can cancel up to 14 days prior to arrival and receive a full refund. If a storm is going to blow out the event, we should have plenty of time to get our money back.

Good luck to you guys down there. Dean looks like he has his sights set right on the Caymans. I'm praying he weakens, hooks south of you all and enters the Gulf somewhere around the Yucatan.

· Registered
48 Posts
You called it - Dean did move south and only gave us a glancing blow - some damage but not nearly what could have been. Now all we have to do is hold on to this luck until the end of the hurricane season and we'll be good to go :).

· Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
You called it - Dean did move south and only gave us a glancing blow - some damage but not nearly what could have been. Now all we have to do is hold on to this luck until the end of the hurricane season and we'll be good to go :).
Glad you guys came through OK:-!

Looking back, I guess I did call that one. Too bad I didn't have any money riding on it!:-d:-d:-d

Hey, I remember you saying that you were planning to get your scuba certification. Did you ever finish it up?

· Registered
315 Posts
What happened to all of you guys?

I count a large number of "I'm in"s at the top of this thread...

Has anyone else signed up, or are we still 4?

· Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
What happened to all of you guys?

I count a large number of "I'm in"s at the top of this thread...

Has anyone else signed up, or are we still 4?
Right now we're still at four. There's yourself, whse, T-bone and myself.

I've contacted everyone who showed interest via PM, and all have other irons in the fire. Hopefully we'll pick up a few more before dead-line. If not, that's OK too. That just means more rum cake for us;-)

The way I see it is...we're the tip of the spear, the dedicated, the hard-core, the elite DOXA diver. The few that are brave enough to face the mysteries, the wonders, the challenges and the splendor of the deep.(OK, enough dialog for now:-d)

No seriously though....for everyone else, this is going to be truly an awesome trip. An event of a dive-watch, enthusiasts life-time. It doesn't matter how advanced or un-advanced a diver you are, this trip is for everyone...regardless of skill level. I just don't want anyone to think that because they may only have an entry-level certification, that diving the big water in GC is "over their head". If you have a c-card and you've made a couple of dives fairly recently, you're good to go.

Definitely the "more the merrier" for this type of event. I hope to see more sign-on in the coming weeks. I'd hate to know that you guys are sitting behind you keyboards, kicking yourselves for not going. All while we're soaking up some sun, diving and checking out all the watches in George Town.:-!

C'mon, you know you want to go. So pull the trigger....:-d:-d

· Registered
157 Posts
I'd love to join you guys, but we're going in December. I was really tempted as I've never been diving on the east end. Looking forward to the pictures and the dive reports.

· Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I'd love to join you guys, but we're going in December. I was really tempted as I've never been diving on the east end. Looking forward to the pictures and the dive reports.
Sure you can't back the trip up to, oh say....Nov. 1st-6th?;-)

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.