WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is Thursday night and things seem kind of quiet around here so I thought I would ask this question based upon another thread I read on here tonight.

What makes a dive watch better than a fashion watch for those of us who do not dive?

Theoretically, dive watches are fashion watches, for those who do not use them for their intended purpose...right? :think:

I know my answer -
  • Form Follows Function... not Fashion
My others answers......
  • Dive watches are better than fashion watches because they not wimpy
  • They can take a beating
  • People know when you wear one, or at least ask what that bulge is under your shirt with a straight face
  • Bigger is better
  • I could wear one, IF, I wanted to dive
  • Matches my personality
b-)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I don't dive, snorkeling on Maui a dozen or so times with my G-shock... as deep as my lungs will take me :-!. But I am in the ocean a lot in the warm summer months playing, swimming and wading with my kids. My mother in law also has a pool.

For me, during the long cold winter months wearing dive style watches reminds me of a warmer time of year. Plus theres the added peace of mind knowing a am not pushing my watches anywhere near their limits. A high degree/margin of safety factor if you will.

I wouldn't want to take most leather bands into the Pacific ocean too often. Most metal bracelets seize and grind themselves to death with just a little beach sand.

In my younger days I used to mountain bike and water ski a lot with my G-shock.

Rubber strapped dive watches and G-shocks... FTW!!:-!:-!

Middle of December and holiday season and you guys have me thinking about the beach!!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point!

You do not see people wearing fashion watches on the beach....

Maybe in the South of France perhaps... b-)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
What makes a dive watch better than a fashion watch for those of us who do not dive?

Theoretically, dive watches are fashion watches, for those who do not use them for their intended purpose...right? :think:
IMO, A dive watch isn't any better than a fashion watch for non-divers. I do prefer the form factor and toughness a dive watch represents.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well if I may chime in for minute, living in the Caribbean and all, I collect dive watches because I like them.

Unfortunately my job requires a shirt and tie, sometimes a suit every day of the week except Friday. Needless ta say the Ecozilla does not wear well under long sleeves with cuff links, so thats where the fashion watch comes in. I'm happy with my new blingy watch the Seiko Velatura SNAA91 which is a fashion watch but reminds me of a dive watch AND it wears well under a suit. My Tissot Seastar 1000 also sees regular duty while using cuff links, and I have been known to force a Monster under a sleeve as well. Since it's Friday, today is Ecozilla day.

Beachtime is reserved for the divers of course and my knockaround diver of choice is the Black monster on orange safety NATO strap.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
IMO, A dive watch isn't any better than a fashion watch for non-divers. I do prefer the form factor and toughness a dive watch represents.
I don't think a dive watch is merely a fashion watch for non-divers, unless maybe you're Paris Hilton or someone equally vapid.

What about those of us who have had to retire from diving? Are we permitted to wear a dive watch without it being no better than a fashion watch simply because we can no longer (for whatever reason) dive? Guess I'll quit driving a sports car since I don't race, quit wearing polo shirts since I don't want to be simply making a fashion statement when I don't actually play. Glad I sold my Rolex GMT Master II lest someone get the wrong impression and think I'm some rich pilot.

Not trying to yank anyone's chain just trying to point out that we all have possessions that strictly speaking we don't use as intended or that we're not qualified or even interested in using as intended. That doesn't relegate them to mere fashion statements to me nor does it necessarily mean someone is a poser for doing so.

I would have a problem if someone were, say, wearing a purple heart lapel pin who hadn't actually been awarded one or in some other way using an item to falsely represent themselves but these are just mechanical and/or electronic devices for measuring time. I don't think you have to be a licensed pilot or certified diver to join the club without being thought of as a mere fashionista. Just MHO.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Reasons why I love dive watches and hate dress watches:

Dive watches are:
-highly legible
-very luminous at night
-BIG
-bold
-durable
-suitable for all external conditions (for the most part)
-can also suit as a "dress watch" (some dive watches)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I guess a "fashion watch" for the most part, can be something that, heck, you might can get for cheap and it'll look good via mere glance by WIS unitiated observer, maybe even WIS, too, if the glance is quick enough. If you're including "dress watches" here (whose depth rating might be equal to that of a Diver's watch, depending on the dress watch), then, those can include stuff like leather bands.

I DON'T think leather bands are appropriate on a Diver's watch, on the other hand. I never understood the pairing (methinks no matter HOW cured that leather is, it's still gonna end up looking awful over regular exposure to bodies of water, from the faucet to the sea).

Like what was said above, bona-fide Diver's watches (which are defined as, for my tastes, all-"decent metal" [which can range from stainless steel (my favorite), to 14K, 24K, other K gold (not necessarily my favorite . . . actually not at all my favorite), to titanium (a metal still on the fence with folks), and are 200m or more), can be "fashionable" if you ask me -- I mean, you look at the Oris Diver's date watch -- that's kind of fashionable, too, like how the Omega Seamasters are (007 sports them well sporting a tux).

Diver's watches have lume, yes, but, it's not something I necessarily need in a Diver's watch (though, most, if not all, have 'em; I know all my Diver's watches do). Since I'm of the "acck, lume! Just fades away!" ilk, I'm quite considering the purchase of that new Hamilton Diver's watch, where the Arabic numerals are steeled instead of lumed. Though the number I'm thinking of only goes 100m . . . maybe they'll improve on that later.

Hope my rambling helped some. ;-)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

Dive watches are:
-highly legible
-very luminous at night
-BIG
-bold
-durable
My only quality dress watches ARE Divers (my 203 Arktis & SeMP Chrono)...for all the reasons GMC mentioned above!

Virtually every watch I have is either a Diver or a Pilot's watch other than my 5.11 HRT's, and they have their own special functionality ;-).

Diver or not, for me, a watch is a tool. So no flashy gold retirement timepieces for me, but I do have a special place for one dress watch and that is the Sinn 6066 Frankfurt Alarm :-!. It's only rated to 100M so it's no diver; however, it is a quality functional timepiece--an automatic watch that handles 3 timezones & an alarm!!! Plus I do have to "dress for success" at work, so I like the 6066.

The way I look at it, my aversion to flashy gold & gem encrusted watches means there are more for those who desire them. Fashion & watches just don't have anything to do with each other in my opinion. Like those Toy Watches...Oprah may love them, but they don't do a thing for me. Oh well, more of them for the folks who want them.

All watches are tools for me; otherwise, I don't see the purpose of owning one. I guess there is no chance I'll get a job on the Style Channel or Bravo now. :-(

DJ

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I don't think a dive watch is merely a fashion watch for non-divers, unless maybe you're Paris Hilton or someone equally vapid.

What about those of us who have had to retire from diving? Are we permitted to wear a dive watch without it being no better than a fashion watch simply because we can no longer (for whatever reason) dive? Guess I'll quit driving a sports car since I don't race, quit wearing polo shirts since I don't want to be simply making a fashion statement when I don't actually play. Glad I sold my Rolex GMT Master II lest someone get the wrong impression and think I'm some rich pilot.

Not trying to yank anyone's chain just trying to point out that we all have possessions that strictly speaking we don't use as intended or that we're not qualified or even interested in using as intended. That doesn't relegate them to mere fashion statements to me nor does it necessarily mean someone is a poser for doing so.

I would have a problem if someone were, say, wearing a purple heart lapel pin who hadn't actually been awarded one or in some other way using an item to falsely represent themselves but these are just mechanical and/or electronic devices for measuring time. I don't think you have to be a licensed pilot or certified diver to join the club without being thought of as a mere fashionista. Just MHO.
My point was ... stating a diver style watch (or any style watch for that matter) is inherently better than any other style is watch is pointless. It's based on the wearers personal preferences.

I happen to prefer dive watches for all the reasons already mentioned. Does that mean they are better than fashion watches? Of course not.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Fashion watch = Fossil, Skagen, Dakota etc. etc.
"Tool"= Hammer, screwdriver, hacksaw, etc. etc.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My point was ... stating a diver style watch (or any style watch for that matter) is inherently better than any other style is watch is pointless. It's based on the wearers personal preferences.

I happen to prefer dive watches for all the reasons already mentioned. Does that mean they are better than fashion watches? Of course not.
Actually I do think Dive watches are superior because they can do everything a dress watch can do plus more. This is the sole reason dive watches are so popular in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Hey, nothing goes with a Speedo like a blingy chrome Kenneth Cole watch. :) - David
That is just a sad visual <|.
Al

·
Registered
3,701 Posts

Dive watches are:
-highly legible
-very luminous at night
-BIG
-bold
-durable
Well said mate!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well I saw in another thread (https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=99703) pictures of a chef wearing an Oris diver's watch. I guess the bezel timer would be pretty useful for cooking. Sometimes I like to time myself and although I have a chronograph on my Tissot PRC 200 a bezel timer would probably be better. Also, like GMCtrk they are much more legible and that would probably be useful when doing intense work such as cooking.

The point I'm making is I think it would be pretty useful to non-divers.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts