WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided that my next purchase is going to be a blue diver with a wave pattern dial. I might consider other textured dials, but I suspect it will be a wave dial that I end up going with as that pattern has recently caught my eye. So far, I have found the following:
Christopher Ward Trident
Oris TT1
Omega Seamaster
Mido Oceanstar
Deep Blue Juggernaut

I am struggling to pull the trigger because I love the design of the Trident, but I question if the blue is a bit too flashy. As far as color, I really like the SMP. It seems that every time I search for "blue wave dial" I end up with with threads about Seamaster homages which this wouldn't necessarily have to be. So my question is what else am I missing that has a blue textured or wave dial?

Reactions: meganfox17

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
If you want this style, go for the Omega Seamaster if it is in budget. This watch is the watch most identifiable with the style you crave.

·
Premium Member
14,796 Posts
My favorite two in that group are definitely the Oris and the Omega. Both are fantastic watches, hard to beat!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
+1 for the Omega. I like Oris but very time I think about picking up an Oris, the limited strap options to Oris only bracelets/straps makes me not want one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Pull the trigger by all means but before you do .......please check out the new Tudor Blue Pelagos...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I would go either CW or Omega..
I have both of these, one of the older Christopher Ward C60's as well as an Omega SMP. While they both have wave dials, they are pretty different.

The dial on the CW is more glossy-ish, and is very prone to banding. See this picture here:

The vertial blue / white stripes as seen in the picture are visible fairly frequently. The wave dial texture becomes really visible, particularly in the white bands. It's a pretty nice effect, I personally like it.

The dial on the Omega SMP (at least the one that I have), is pretty different. I have the electric blue SMP:

The sunbursting (as seen in the picture) is very visible when on the wrist. The wave dial texture, however, isn't as prominently visible as on the CW C60. Not that it isn't there, but it's much more prominently visible on the C60.

There's also a pretty drastic price difference between the two, at least the older generation C60.

I picked up the CW C60 because I wanted a blue wave dial watch but at the time wasn't willing to pay for an Omega. That, obviously, changed! The CW C60 is a nice watch, but the Omega is in a different league.

Self serving post - I have my C60 listed as FSOT, drop me a note if it catches your eye.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for going into such detail with on the comparison of the dials. The C60 sounds really interesting especially with you saying the wave pattern is prominent. I have never seen the blue CW in person, but have seen electric blue omegas. How do the two colors compare?

I have both of these, one of the older Christopher Ward C60's as well as an Omega SMP. While they both have wave dials, they are pretty different.

The dial on the CW is more glossy-ish, and is very prone to banding. See this picture here:

The vertial blue / white stripes as seen in the picture are visible fairly frequently. The wave dial texture becomes really visible, particularly in the white bands. It's a pretty nice effect, I personally like it.

The dial on the Omega SMP (at least the one that I have), is pretty different. I have the electric blue SMP:

The sunbursting (as seen in the picture) is very visible when on the wrist. The wave dial texture, however, isn't as prominently visible as on the CW C60. Not that it isn't there, but it's much more prominently visible on the C60.

There's also a pretty drastic price difference between the two, at least the older generation C60.

I picked up the CW C60 because I wanted a blue wave dial watch but at the time wasn't willing to pay for an Omega. That, obviously, changed! The CW C60 is a nice watch, but the Omega is in a different league.

Self serving post - I have my C60 listed as FSOT, drop me a note if it catches your eye.

Reactions: marco escobar

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Go for the new C60 600 in blue. For the money I don't think you can go wrong. I may be biased as I have one but I think it is a nicer watch than it gets credit for, especially with the recent upgrades. The other suggestions are great as well. I owned a 2255.80 electric blue and it was a nice watch with a great movement. Wasn't a fan of the polished stainless bezel on it so I flipped it.

Goodluck and post pictures!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Thanks for going into such detail with on the comparison of the dials. The C60 sounds really interesting especially with you saying the wave pattern is prominent. I have never seen the blue CW in person, but have seen electric blue omegas. How do the two colors compare?
They're pretty comparable if you ask me. I'll try and get the 2 watches next to each other and snap a pic of them tonight. The blue bezel on the CW does make a bit difference, a lot more blue on your wrist.

Then again, you can always turn it up to 11:

·
Premium Member
71,472 Posts
I know just what you mean about the colour of the Blue C60 but I don't think it's any brighter than the DB and I'd much rather have one of Mr Ward's products.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I have this incoming...Oris TT1. I do own the Omega SMP Blue not the Electric Blue and I did own the Mido which is really nice. Those don't come up to often but its a nice bright blue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For me, the SMP is my ultimate grail watch. I was only a little spud when "Goldeneye" was released, and seeing Brosnan's watch arm timed mines and laser its way through armor-plated flooring started a love-affair with timepieces right there and then. The missus and I are planning on one for our 10th (..15th? ...20th?) anniversary.

In the meantime I've been scouring the net looking for a suitable hold-over - the Mido has a great look to it, although reported the lume is somewhat lackluster.

I entertained the idea of getting a CW Trident, but every photo I've seen of the blue is way to vivid for me. Miles away from the deep navy blue of the SMP or even the Mido.

As of yet, I haven't really found anything comparable. For the $$$, it may be best to wait for a used Quartz SMP to pop up for sale.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I entertained the idea of getting a CW Trident, but every photo I've seen of the blue is way to vivid for me. Miles away from the deep navy blue of the SMP or even the Mido.

As of yet, I haven't really found anything comparable. For the $$$, it may be best to wait for a used Quartz SMP to pop up for sale.

I completely agree with this. I love the design of the CW Trident. I actually like the quartz and old design better without the stick markers at the hours. Everytime I get close, I question if it is too bright of a blue and don't end up buying.

Reactions: Electric Funeral
1 - 20 of 30 Posts