WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble deciding between the two. I first saw the 65 (42mm) a few months ago and tried it a few times, I thought it was really nice but I'm not crazy about the faux retro thing. I tried the Sinn 104, specifically the black face with the markers, not the numerals just last week.

The smaller Sinn 104 feels better on my 7'' wrist. It also has a more "solid" feel to it and it's less showy than the 65. I really like how the 65 is styled but a few things like the color of the lume and the tapered bracelet don't appeal to me. It's the deep dark blue shade they use that draws me to it, as well as the domed crystal. On the other hand, the 104 has been slowly growing on me and I've actually come to prefer it now that I've tried it on.

Tough choice. I'd like to get opinions on styling, aesthetics, brand recognition/appeal, movement, and any other factor you can think of to help me choose.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Oris 65 is a vintage diver inspired, while Sinn 104 is vintage pilot inspired. Sinn 104 is rated at 200M WR, while Oris is 100M WR. 104 lug width is 20mm which will give you a lot more options on straps, compare to the 21mm for 65.

·
Registered
36,302 Posts
There is a 40mm version of the 65 with black dial and even more vintage vibe that might be a better fit.

The Sinn pictured has a very useful countdown bezel, though not all have it.

As an owner of the 65, I am bias'd. It can be found lower priced grey market.

The lug width is not an issue. I squeeze 22mm leather on 20mm lug regularly, so 21mm is no problem.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Well you came to an Oris forum to ask, so you got to expect what people will say around here! Personally, I find the Oris bracelet sensational, if its not for you, there are other options with the 65. What I am not mad about with the Sinn are the Syringe style hands.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't mind biased opinions, I want to know 65 owners like about their watch and what you think of the 104 as a comparison.
Although I prefer the smaller 40m in size, I like the simplicity of the larger 42mm dial, so I probably won't consider the 40mm as a serious option.

I feel like the 104 offers slightly better value in with the 200m rating, day date, and the see through caseback. I know it's a pilots watch and the divers don't normally have the see through caseback but still, those are pluses for me comparing these two watches.

·
Premium Member
71,208 Posts
Personally I'd get the Oris (Says the guy who's thinking of getting a white 104) but I get the feeling that you'd be happier with the Sinn.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Agree with sticky. If you must get the 104, go for the white one. While the black 104 is nice, I find it being too safe and I feel it will get bland and boring overtime. It sounds like you already made your choice, so go for it.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not any closer to deciding, I'm even more confused now that I've tried them both out. I just didn't expect the black 104 to feel as dressy as it does and the 65 to be the more casual of the two.

The white 104 looked really nice in the pictures but having seen the black in person first, it's what I fell in love with. The white color just doesn't do it for me.

I really like the 65, I'm even starting to like the 40mm despite really hating the weird text on the numbers. I just have a hard time with the yellowish lume which gives it a novelty feel. I guess it fits the overall styling of the watch but I feel it's something I may grow tired of over time.

One more thing is that the Oris is a "proper" Swiss watch. Seeing as this will be my only real watch, that sort of figures into my decision making a little as I've always been under the impression a "proper" watch should be a mechanical watch with the words "Swiss Made" somewhere on the watch face. I don't mean to imply that I think the Sinn is inferior but I'm wondering if it might be something I will regret later if I go with the Sinn.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I'm even starting to like the 40mm despite really hating the weird text on the numbers. I just have a hard time with the yellowish lume which gives it a novelty feel. I guess it fits the overall styling of the watch but I feel it's something I may grow tired of over time.
Could never get sick of this because it is unique!

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
I own BOTH a Sinn (556i "Jub") and an Oris (TT1), so I think I can offer a neutral opinion--I prefer the Oris 65, but the 40mm--both great watches, but the Oris just looks better, with the Sinn having something of an outdated look to it--kind of old school diver, and not really in keeping with the modern era.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone know the thickness of the 65? I can't seem to get into the Oris site and none of the other sites have it on their specs.

I own BOTH a Sinn (556i "Jub") and an Oris (TT1), so I think I can offer a neutral opinion--I prefer the Oris 65, but the 40mm--both great watches, but the Oris just looks better, with the Sinn having something of an outdated look to it--kind of old school diver, and not really in keeping with the modern era.
What are your thoughts on the build quality, how do they compare?

I felt the 104 was kind of old school as well but I wouldn't call it outdated, I think the bold lines and squarish lug ends give it a bit of a modern touch. Having seen it in person I was surprised at how dressy it was. It seemed so much more utilitarian in the pictures. The 65 has a more casual feel which is what I'm looking for but honestly I think the 104 has a bit more character to it and I find it somewhat more interesting. I really dig those syringe style hands, I just don't like the polish finish.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Does anyone know the thickness of the 65? I can't seem to get into the Oris site and none of the other sites have it on their specs.
The Oris 65 is just under 13mm but almost 2mm I'd say is the domed crystal. It also has inward bevelled edges on its caseback which break up the mid case. In real life it wears very svelte and thin to be honest.

I'm a big fan of the 40mm Diver 65. I think it has a lot of character and style. The 42mm Diver 65 loses some of that charm and look with its more generic dial configuration in my opinion. I think the smaller case size also goes better with the vintage aesthetic if that is important for you.

The Sinn 104 is no doubt a nice piece as well, but I find it looks all business. Not as "fun" and funky. So it really depends on the look you prefer. There is no wrong choice here.

IMG_20170602_143453A.JPG

IMG_20170518_091834A.JPG

IMG_20170817_093439A.JPG

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Both watches are nice...
I don't think the sinn is inferior in any way. You say it is going to be your only proper watch, but honestly I can't see that happening. Once you buy one you are going to want another and another etc... Oris is nic. I wore the TT1 Diver as my only proper watch for 6 years and then I sort of went crazy. Now I have about a dozen "proper" watches. Unfortunately I don't think I am anywhere near done.

One more thing is that the Oris is a "proper" Swiss watch. Seeing as this will be my only real watch, that sort of figures into my decision making a little as I've always been under the impression a "proper" watch should be a mechanical watch with the words "Swiss Made" somewhere on the watch face. I don't mean to imply that I think the Sinn is inferior but I'm wondering if it might be something I will regret later if I go with the Sinn.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Oris 65 is just under 13mm but almost 2mm I'd say is the domed crystal. It also has inward bevelled edges on its caseback which break up the mid case. In real life it wears very svelte and thin to be honest.

I'm a big fan of the 40mm Diver 65. I think it has a lot of character and style. The 42mm Diver 65 loses some of that charm and look with its more generic dial configuration in my opinion. I think the smaller case size also goes better with the vintage aesthetic if that is important for you.

The Sinn 104 is no doubt a nice piece as well, but I find it looks all business. Not as "fun" and funky. So it really depends on the look you prefer. There is no wrong choice here.

View attachment 12447893

View attachment 12447897

View attachment 12447901

I really love the profile of the 65, it's really unique and the rounded lines are just gorgeous. I don't know why but I'm also starting to like the 40mm which I had previously hated. I still prefer the more simple and "grown up" look of the 42mm

I've seen both in person, I'm looking for a more casual watch which the 65 is, but I just like the Sinn a tad bit better and if it wasn't so dressy I probably would have decided definitively by now. I think the 65 is a little more versatile in terms of how it looks. Or maybe I just prefer it better with how it matches with leather and nato straps compared to the 104...

Both watches are nice...
I don't think the sinn is inferior in any way. You say it is going to be your only proper watch, but honestly I can't see that happening. Once you buy one you are going to want another and another etc... Oris is nic. I wore the TT1 Diver as my only proper watch for 6 years and then I sort of went crazy. Now I have about a dozen "proper" watches. Unfortunately I don't think I am anywhere near done.
Hopefully I can go 6 years without getting another watch. I really just need one but I've found myself considering buying two, several times this week. I need to stay away from this site for a while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have kind of the same problem. Love the Oris, wanna buy it, but what keeps me away is the movement. ETA clone non regulated.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Speaking of movements, I read but cannot verify the Sinn uses a top grade SW200 while the Oris 65 uses a standard version?

I would normally suggest sinn by default, but as others have said the black 104 can get boring. I'd go for the Oris on this one.

I was thinking the same thing about the Sinn but after several weeks of comparisons I find that the opposite is actually true, but only a little.

·
Premium Member
71,208 Posts
I'm not sure what grade of movement Oris employs but I wouldn't stress it as I have found the SW200s in my Oris watches to be storming movements.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts