WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I'm looking at the black Oris Diver Date or a Seiko Shotgun for a business-dress (office casual) watch. I haven't made up my mind but this thread was helpful.

If Oris didn't have proprietary straps/lugs, it'd be an easier decision.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
60,810 Posts
I'm looking at the black Oris Diver Date or a Seiko Shotgun for a business-dress (office casual) watch. I haven't made up my mind but this thread was helpful.

If Oris didn't have proprietary straps/lugs, it'd be an easier decision.

My Sumo will kill me for saying this but go for the Oris - don't let the lugs put you off.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Ugh. Phone tried to autocorrect Seiko "Shogun" to "Shotgun". End up with a double post. :-/

Thanks for the advice. I still might give the Oris a shot. I was just really wanting the option to use NATO straps.

The Diver Date is such a great watch otherwise; unique markers, good lume, wave bezel, fairly original design, exhibition case back, etc. I don't know what Oris was thinking when they went for that lug design. All the aftermarket straps I've seen are in the $150+ range. Maybe they'll fix that one issue in a future release.

·
Registered
13,959 Posts
Oh, the Aquis is going to be a much nicer watch than the Shogun. Aquis is underpriced and Shogun is overpriced, IMO.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Have you considered the Aquis Date? It has a nice dress/sport look, IMHO. I have the blue one on the bracelet and enjoy it with coat/tie or casual. Cheers, Bill P.

What's the primary difference between the Aquis and the Diver Date? Oris seems to sell both of them presently.

Most other brands (eg: Seiko) will stair-step the brands or have them be markedly different in style/function. Is the Aquis newer or better? Are they phasing out the Diver Date? I'm not clear on the value proposition. These two watches are about the same price and seem to be competing with each other.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the distinctions between the two outside of the minor case/dial changes.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
What's the primary difference between the Aquis and the Diver Date? Oris seems to sell both of them presently.

Most other brands (eg: Seiko) will stair-step the brands or have them be markedly different in style/function. Is the Aquis newer or better? Are they phasing out the Diver Date? I'm not clear on the value proposition. These two watches are about the same price and seem to be competing with each other.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the distinctions between the two outside of the minor case/dial changes.
My AD used to stock both the DD and the Aquis, now just the Aquis in a wide variety (40mm, 43mm, 46mm, green, black, blue, tungsten, white, etc etc). I don't have any inside info but it sure feels like the DD is being phased out. As for differences, in the flesh, the Aquis is much more "tool" and the DD is much more "dress".

·
Premium Member
60,810 Posts
The Aquis and the DD are pretty much the same apart from the obvious physical differences. I think that Oris would like to phase the out the DD - up until last year, I think it was, the DD was available in a steel bezel option as well as the black and blue. However, it is so popular that it makes good business sense to run production of both for the present but I suspect that the DD will get the push soon in favour of the Aquis.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Went to an AD today to look at them all. The Oris Aquis does look nicer in person than the Diver Date; definitely more of dress diver (desk diver?) than the Diver Date. The matte finish on the Aquis dial is very nice looking. Neither my wife and I cared for the kettle-shaped case of the DD. Both are very nice and have a good feel and fit under my dress shirt. They're also surprisingly heavy for their size.

We compared it with the Longines Hydroconquest, Tag Aquaracer and a couple of others and I felt that the Oris was as good or better in the quality department as well as in it's originality. The others paid a bit too strong an homage to the Rolex Sub, in my opinion. They also cost more and I didn't perceive them to be any better constructed (they seemed a little less sturdy to me) than the Oris'.

AD wants $1800 for the Aquis so I'll probably wait for a used one in the forums.

On a side note, the shop a few doors down was an AD for Omega and a few other brands in that price range (IWC, Rolex, etc.). The Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean in 42mm with the co-axial movement and exhibition case back seems to fit the bill for a quality dress diver. It's 4x the price of an Oris but a used one might be worth saving for. Falls in the "grail" category for me but I might go for it. A used Oris Aquis might tide me over while I save up for it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What about the Aquis Titan Small Second Date.......tungsten bezel and grey dial on titanium / stainless steel bracelet? It is 46mm though, so depends on wrist size. But this has that look that it could be dressed up or down depending on the attire. I am looking to get one of these soon.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Went to an AD today to look at them all. The Oris Aquis does look nicer in person than the Diver Date; definitely more of dress diver (desk diver?) than the Diver Date. The matte finish on the Aquis dial is very nice looking. Neither my wife and I cared for the kettle-shaped case of the DD. Both are very nice and have a good feel and fit under my dress shirt. They're also surprisingly heavy for their size.

We compared it with the Longines Hydroconquest, Tag Aquaracer and a couple of others and I felt that the Oris was as good or better in the quality department as well as in it's originality. The others paid a bit too strong an homage to the Rolex Sub, in my opinion. They also cost more and I didn't perceive them to be any better constructed (they seemed a little less sturdy to me) than the Oris'.

AD wants $1800 for the Aquis so I'll probably wait for a used one in the forums.

On a side note, the shop a few doors down was an AD for Omega and a few other brands in that price range (IWC, Rolex, etc.). The Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean in 42mm with the co-axial movement and exhibition case back seems to fit the bill for a quality dress diver. It's 4x the price of an Oris but a used one might be worth saving for. Falls in the "grail" category for me but I might go for it. A used Oris Aquis might tide me over while I save up for it.
I own the DD, the Hydro and a PO. I can tell you that the ORIS is surpasses the hydro in terms of build quality. Little things like a machined vs stamped clasp make the difference. The PO is in a league of its own. I love them all and all have the same exact wrist time in my rotation...

I dislike sub homages and sold my Steinhart for that very reason (even though the build quality was excellent for a micro). The DD is very unique, none like it. The Hydro, IMHO, does not look like the sub very much (with that said not easy to be so different when you're making a black faced, black bezel diver).

Can't go wrong with an ORIS, would have stuck with my CC Cenote but at 46mm, I looked like Flava Flav with it on so it got flipped.

·
Premium Member
60,810 Posts
What about the Aquis Titan Small Second Date.......tungsten bezel and grey dial on titanium / stainless steel bracelet? It is 46mm though, so depends on wrist size. But this has that look that it could be dressed up or down depending on the attire. I am looking to get one of these soon.
The Titan is a very nice watch indeed but at 46mm its no shrinking violet on your wrist. Cuffs? what are they? It goes something like - shirt, watch, hand.

·
Registered
13,959 Posts
You need to contact Topper for a great deal.

Reactions: RegularStormy

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
You need to contact Topper for a great deal.
So, coincidentally, I wandered into TopperJewlers.com looking for an Oris or an SMP. Is that the place? They have a couple of Omega 2254.50's that are priced around $2200. Is that a reasonable price and is it that much better of a product than the Oris? Would those be considered any more dressier?

Also, my apologies for the complete threadjack.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Have you considered the Aquis Date? It has a nice dress/sport look, IMHO. I have the blue one on the bracelet and enjoy it with coat/tie or casual. Cheers, Bill P.

Where did you get that watch stand?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
FYI, I ended up with an Aquis Date in black. It looks sharp.

My only complaint is that I got the 40mm (pre-owned from another WUSer) and the bracelet is not the same one that's on the 43mm. It doesn't have the diver extension and it's thinner at the clasp. Because of the proprietary lugs, I can't get a different/better bracelet. Also, you have to get the bracelet links adjusted at an AD (per the manual) which is a hassle. It uses a really really tiny and specific screwdriver.

Oh well. It's still a very sharp looking watch; though I may try to trade for a 43mm at some point.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm happy with the purchase.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts