WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Happy Birthday!
I bought it too since 65 was a really good year ;)
The diameter is the right one for small wrists.
First time i see it on steel, is this also from Oris?
Have fun with this nice watch.

·
Premium Member
38,719 Posts
Happy Birthday!
I bought it too since 65 was a really good year ;)
The diameter is the right one for small wrists.
First time i see it on steel, is this also from Oris?
Have fun with this nice watch.
Plenty of people have it on the bracelet now. It works well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the welcome and birthday wishes!

Nice watch. Really nice watch in fact, and one to enjoy for a long time :)

I decided to go with the steel bracelet as my thoughts were that it would be easier and less expensive getting aftermarket NATO/fabric or rubber straps later on, and besides, I think it looks really good on the bracelet anyway.

The watch fits well and feels good, and light, on my 6.5" wrist. I have got a Tisell no date Marine Diver (green bezel, green dial) coming tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see how that compares. I was not going to buy any more watches this year (yes, I hear you say - where have I heard that before . . . ) but late last year I enquired about the re-stocking of the cyclops version, was put on the notification list and on July 21st got an email about 100 pieces of the no date being available, so took the plunge (sorry!)

However, that one is just for inexpensive fun and play (certainly cannot afford the real deal Submariner!), whereas this Oris is a serious purchase, and one to pass on, like my first one, about 40 years ago, when my Dad passed his well worn Oris on to me.

By the way, that is a great picture Brad, love the colour matches.

Nice to be part of the Oris family again :)

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Happy Birthday and congrats on that gorgeous 65! Got mine on today:
IMG_2301.JPG

IMG_2308.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats! 64, 65, whatever....Enjoy it!
Thanks! Yep, who's counting anyway?

That is quite a chunky strap you have on your Sixty-Five. The colour compliments the watch very nicely indeed. Do you mind telling me where it is from? I would prefer one with matching stitching though.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
From one "ol timer" to another - and I got my 65 at 66 - belated Birthday greetings and congratulations! After buying and flipping watches for many years now, this 65 is the one that has given me the most pleasure. No reason at all why this could not be considered an heirloom piece just as well as any other:

While I think there might be another watch purchase in my future, so far I have not seen another which interests me nearly as much as this Oris. I hope you get just as much pleasure out of yours, and for many years to come.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Carl.

Definitely no reason at all why the Sixty-Five cannot be an heirloom - in fact that was just the reason why I bought mine. After the pleasure I had of my Dad passing on his Oris to me, I want to do the same too.

Even on the bracelet the watch does not feel at all heavy, definitely not as noticeable as when I wear my SKX007J with its solid oyster one. It is extremely slim and comfortable to wear.

In all the joy and pleasure I have derived from owning this watch so far, there is unfortunately one small issue. That of its time keeping. My watch so far has varied from +10, +13, +14 and +11 seconds fast over the last 4 days. Left static, dial up for the Day 1 and crown right for Days 2 & 3. It was then left dial down over night and worn this afternoon & evening.

Although I am pleased it is not running slow, I am a little disappointed it is running a wee bit fast. Perhaps I have been spoilt a little by my First Omega In Space which was regulated by Omega and runs +1 to +4 spd with occasional variance up to +6 & +7 spd. I get a similar performance with my Stowa Chronograph 1938. Both are hand wound non COSC movements.

What are fellow owners experiencing with their Sixty-Fives? And please do not counter with that old chestnut of buying a quartz if I want pin point accuracy! I know to expect lower accuracy from a mechanical movement, but at the same time it is nice when it does have reasonably good time keeping.

As I got my Sixty-Five at 64 and you yours at 66, looks like we now need to hear from someone who got theirs at the 'proper' time - at 65! So speak up :blush:

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Thanks Carl.

Definitely no reason at all why the Sixty-Five cannot be an heirloom - in fact that was just the reason why I bought mine. After the pleasure I had of my Dad passing on his Oris to me, I want to do the same too.

Even on the bracelet the watch does not feel at all heavy, definitely not as noticeable as when I wear my SKX007J with its solid oyster one. It is extremely slim and comfortable to wear.

In all the joy and pleasure I have derived from owning this watch so far, there is unfortunately one small issue. That of its time keeping. My watch so far has varied from +10, +13, +14 and +11 seconds fast over the last 4 days. Left static, dial up for the Day 1 and crown right for Days 2 & 3. It was then left dial down over night and worn this afternoon & evening.

Although I am pleased it is not running slow, I am a little disappointed it is running a wee bit fast. Perhaps I have been spoilt a little by my First Omega In Space which was regulated by Omega and runs +1 to +4 spd with occasional variance up to +6 & +7 spd. I get a similar performance with my Stowa Chronograph 1938. Both are hand wound non COSC movements.

What are fellow owners experiencing with their Sixty-Fives? And please do not counter with that old chestnut of buying a quartz if I want pin point accuracy! I know to expect lower accuracy from a mechanical movement, but at the same time it is nice when it does have reasonably good time keeping.

As I got my Sixty-Five at 64 and you yours at 66, looks like we now need to hear from someone who got theirs at the 'proper' time - at 65! So speak up :blush:
Sorry to hear that you are not getting better accuracy. While I don't wear mine every day - but every evening during the week and all weekend - I have been getting pretty consistent -3secs/day. Although I would rather it be fast than slow, 3 secs is not something I will quibble about. My AD said that if I like, though, they could regulate it for me! I would think that your AD would be able to adjust it for you as well. I am not very technically savvy about the intricacies of watch movements, but I think your watch could be adjusted. Even when I wear it every day, all day - and during the week as well - I give it a wind about 35 times every morning, but I really don't know if that is contributing to the accuracy or not. Except for an Air-King which I had for a few years, this watch is more accurate than all the Omega and other Rolex watches I have owned.

Let's see if anyone chimes in about getting their 65 at the 'proper' time.

There have also been some excellent posts/threads on this forum by those who have adjusted this movement, and how to go about it. While I would not attempt that myself, it does give a strong indication that you could do better. I wish I had bookmarked the threads, but if you read through the threads you can likely gain some insight.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Thanks! Yep, who's counting anyway?

That is quite a chunky strap you have on your Sixty-Five. The colour compliments the watch very nicely indeed. Do you mind telling me where it is from? I would prefer one with matching stitching though.
It is an Alfa strap from eBay, though I recently changed to a SNPR strap that is more rough looking and aromatic.

I'm getting +5 to +10 perday, which is closer than the Eterna Kontiki with the same movement at about +12. Much prefer them to be a touch fast than the alternative.

All the Oris are reasonably accurate.

I have atomic G-Shocks if I want spot-on time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to hear that you are not getting better accuracy. While I don't wear mine every day - but every evening during the week and all weekend - I have been getting pretty consistent -3secs/day. Although I would rather it be fast than slow, 3 secs is not something I will quibble about. My AD said that if I like, though, they could regulate it for me! I would think that your AD would be able to adjust it for you as well. I am not very technically savvy about the intricacies of watch movements, but I think your watch could be adjusted. Even when I wear it every day, all day - and during the week as well - I give it a wind about 35 times every morning, but I really don't know if that is contributing to the accuracy or not. Except for an Air-King which I had for a few years, this watch is more accurate than all the Omega and other Rolex watches I have owned.

Let's see if anyone chimes in about getting their 65 at the 'proper' time.

There have also been some excellent posts/threads on this forum by those who have adjusted this movement, and how to go about it. While I would not attempt that myself, it does give a strong indication that you could do better. I wish I had bookmarked the threads, but if you read through the threads you can likely gain some insight.

Your watch accuracy would be fine by me too, but as you mentioned, I also rather my watches err on the +ve side, +2 to about +8 preferably.

My Sixty-Five is actually within the manufacturer's specifications : -5 to +20 spd according to the manual, which I have just checked, but I would rather it to be under +10 spd if possible. I am going to approach the AD, probably next weekend, and see if they will still get it regulated anyway. Omega UK were brilliant as they offered to and corrected my FOIS when I mentioned to them it was about +6 to +9 spd. Hope Oris/AD will be just as helpful.

The Air King was what I was looking at some time ago. However, I came to the decision to move away from the idea of getting a Rolex due only to their rather high prices!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is an Alfa strap from eBay, though I recently changed to a SNPR strap that is more rough looking and aromatic.

Gosh, those SPNR straps are pretty chunky indeed, probably too much so for my taste at twice the thickness of the metal bracelet, but they do have some rather tasty colours and finishes.

Aromatic?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been checking the accuracy of my Divers Sixty-Five over the last 4 days and the variations are +11, +12, +8 and +10 secs per day, with a ixture of wearing during the day and different positions at rest. It seems to gain 1-2 sec less per day when worn, but no position so far gives a no gain or one which gives a loss. I have not yet contacted the dealr as I am pretty sure they will just say it is running within specifications. I will see how it carries on, hopefully it will lose a little more of its daily gain.

Anyway I decided to have a change of presentation and treated my watch to a new leather strap . . .

l1010190.jpg

So I now have matching straps for both my 60s vintage inspired wristwatches!

l1001873 sq.jpg

I am surprised that no one has stood up to say they got the Sixty-Five to celebrate their 65th birthday.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
I have been checking the accuracy of my Divers Sixty-Five over the last 4 days and the variations are +11, +12, +8 and +10 secs per day, with a ixture of wearing during the day and different positions at rest. It seems to gain 1-2 sec less per day when worn, but no position so far gives a no gain or one which gives a loss. I have not yet contacted the dealr as I am pretty sure they will just say it is running within specifications. I will see how it carries on, hopefully it will lose a little more of its daily gain.

Anyway I decided to have a change of presentation and treated my watch to a new leather strap . . .

View attachment 8970801

So I now have matching straps for both my 60s vintage inspired wristwatches!

View attachment 8970849

I am surprised that no one has stood up to say they got the Sixty-Five to celebrate their 65th birthday.
Hey, maybe we are the only old timers to get this watch! I like the looks of that brown leather strap. The strap itself has a vintage appeal to it, which compliments the watch nicely. I still haven't been able to bring myself to change the steel bracelet. That seems to be just the way I am with all my watches that I have owned. Even if I try them on others straps, I always come back to the steel bracelet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts