WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

today I wanted to ask if somebody has got some experiences with the Vostok Amphibia by diving, especially in the salty sea water! I never took mine to the open sea and I really wonder if the watch can stand this.
I got another swiss made divers watch (30ATM) which I took several time to the sea and I didn't notice any problems.
This december I will probably go to a poor country with a long seaside so I thought about taking an Amphibia with me?

Any experiences? :p

Richie

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hello friends,

today I wanted to ask if somebody has got some experiences with the Vostok Amphibia by diving, especially in the salty sea water!
Oh yes indeed! :-!

Amphibia's really like salty water for sure ;-)

Cheers

Reactions: asdf1230

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow this is awesome! I like the pictures a lot! Especially the dark bezel on the Amphibia looks great. And is this also in salt water? I read some post here in this forum when water entered through the crown. I think the weak point of the Amphibia is that there is only one sealing which is the crown itself. If you look at for example the Rolex Submariner (well, don't compare the price actually :rodekaart) there are I think three sealings inside this little channel where the crown is connected to the inside movement.
Well, I think I'm going to make a test with my own Amphibia. I bought one for 10 EUR and it is almost new. :-d

Thank you guys and always let me hear of your Amphibia diving stories :thanks
Richie

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
You should be certain that the crown is properly closed before diving. I had a beginning of leak in my Ministry Amphibia one time.

After the dive, I realized there was some fog on the inner face of the crystal :-s but fortunatelly the watch looked not flooded however. Since I was not at home, I left the crown opened in a dry palce until returned home a couple of days later (I completed my series of dives with a spare Casio G-Schock ...)

I inspected then the watch thoroughly. The sea water did not penetrate more than the tube of the stem.

The corrosion started however in the crown itself.

I washed the case and stem+crowm using ultra-sound, rinced with distillated water and dried everything,

I recased the movement and it never happened again.

My advice is to rince every day the watch and to leave it overnight in a glass a tap water to extract salt from masked parts like underneath the bezel or the spring bars/bracelet.

Amphibia's could resist to any dives even in the worse conditions |>

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Marc,

thanks a lot for your detailed review! That was exactly the information I was searching for! :thanks
Well, Amphibia, prepare for the Caribbean Sea :-!

Best regards,
Richie

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Wow this is awesome! I like the pictures a lot! Especially the dark bezel on the Amphibia looks great. And is this also in salt water? I read some post here in this forum when water entered through the crown. I think the weak point of the Amphibia is that there is only one sealing which is the crown itself.
Water pressure is water pressure - salt or fresh.

Salt is more corrosive over time, but not in the timeframe of one dive.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
BTW it's good to see you again Marc! :)
I've missed your underwater adventures. Did you get anything new? Or where was your latest exploration with them at least?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
BTW it's good to see you again Marc! :)
I've missed your underwater adventures. Did you get anything new? Or where was your latest exploration with them at least?
So sorry, I am too much absent from the forum since a long time. I still enjoy a lot russian beauties (I kept them all!) and other dive watches too (as that Seiko here). I am preparing now the Open Water Dive Instructor Examination for coming may (I am actually divemaster). Meantime, I discovered the pleasure to dive in the cold and sometime very dark lakes near Lyon on addition the the Mediterranean shores as well helped of my new dive boat !

The Planet Ocean in Annecy, France

In the lake, 5°C at 20m.

There is more to see for sure in the Mediterranean see as here near the spain border

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Awesome |>
It's nice to see you checking the forum once in a while at least.
I wish you luck with your exams!!
Salut! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
My advice is to rince every day the watch and to leave it overnight in a glass a tap water to extract salt from masked parts like underneath the bezel or the spring bars/bracelet.
Never tried it with a watch, but one technique I have used to get salt out of brass shipwreck sittings is to hang them in the toilet tank for a few months. Every time the toilet is flushed and the tank fills up, the item is inundated with freshwater.

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts