WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am about join the club with my first Oris. I noticed the Aquis 6 years ago when I was a student and that type of luxury was a "one day" dream. Well, the "day" has come and even though I can now afford my Aquis, it will still represent a major purchase for me. The watch I have chosen is the Aquis Carlos Coste IV with the Ti bracelet. So, I have a couple of questions from those in the know about what to expect with a timepiece of this caliber.

• Barring no major issues, how much can I expect to spend keeping my Aquis serviced?
  • Are there any negatives to going with Ti over stainless?
  • How do you think a 46mm case will look as the years go on?
  • How durable are the ceramic bezel inserts?
  • Anything else you think a first-time buyer should know?
That mainly covers it, I think part of me is looking for confirmation before dropping that much money.

I truly appreciate any input you may have and thank you for your time.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
That movement should be easy an economical to service, but that 46mm size probably won't age well, unless you're a large guy.

38-42 mm is going to be the sweet spot for watch sizes long term (IMO, of course). I'd be surprised if those really large watches are still the norm in 10 years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had my Ti Carlos Coste for a few month. I like it Ti as it is lighter than SS. No major issues observed. The only negative is that at the bottom of the watch, the pictogram is getting a little scuffed.
If you want to change the bracelet yourself, get a set of jeweler's screw drivers. When putting bracelet screws back in, apply a small dab of light weight loctite to make sure the screw stays in.

·
Premium Member
60,727 Posts
I find that Oris grade 2 titanium just loves scratches and if I'm honest the bracelet can look a bit messy after a couple of years. For weedy guys like me Ti is a gift from the gods and a few scratches are a worthwhile price to pay. The ceramic bezels are as tough as old boots and if you clout one hard enough to break it I'd be more concerned about your wrist than the watch.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Titanium will definitely scratch easier than stainless steel, but for a large watch the lightness you gain with titanium makes it much more wearable. I've had a couple of Oris models with titanium cases and bracelets (Aquis and Prodiver) and the marks were limited primarily to the clasp. Putting a piece of clear packing tape on the clasp and carefully cutting off the excess around the edges will protect the clasp nicely. When it eventually wears enough, simply replace it.

At the moment I have my four year old Ti Prodiver on my wrist and it still looks like new. The only place that shows any marks is the clasp (I neglected to tape this one, but my other is taped).

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would not go with Ti. SS is the way to go. Ti scraches easily...loks bad after a month:(

Wysłane z mojego SM-N920C przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
734 Posts
That movement should be easy an economical to service, but that 46mm size probably won't age well, unless you're a large guy.

38-42 mm is going to be the sweet spot for watch sizes long term (IMO, of course). I'd be surprised if those really large watches are still the norm in 10 years.
Totally agree with this. I thought my Breitling SuperOcean was the best thing since sliced bread until I wore that chunky hunk of metal (and it was only 42mm). I quickly realized that a diver was not a comfortable watch to wear on a continued basis...constantly adjusting it on my arm...hitting it on everything. People will argue that their large diver is super comfy...um ok. Whatever makes you feel good.

Did want to mention that I have never owned a Ti diver. Maybe less weight would have made my Breitling more comfortable? The heft was a major issue with me. Felt really top-heavy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your information, it great to hear some first-hand experience! When I tried the Ti on I really liked its lightness and its warmth. The ceramic bezel was a bit of a concern for me, but hearing how rugged they are is great! Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts