WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, for those of you that already have a copy of the DWL book........I need a favor. I want to help Pete get the 2nd edition as perfect as possible. I noticed just a grammatical error or two when reading the first couple stories. If you would please report any errors to me via PM, I will compile a list and then forward the list on to Doc Pete. (the one that I recall was "no" when it was supposed to be "know") This will help the 2nd edition to be as perfect as possible.

Thanks for your help:-!:thanks:thanks

·
Registered
905 Posts
What second edition?

I don't know that I will be very happy after spending the money for a limited edition dwl watch and book to have 2nd editions out there.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What second edition?

I don't know that I will be very happy after spending the money for a limited edition dwl watch and book to have 2nd editions out there.
2nd Edition is probably the wrong nomenclature. Pete had originally planned on a run of 200-300 books. After this last fiasco with the printers, he has been able to get a fraction of that number. Many of the legends were unable to get the number of books that they desired, and there have been quite a number of people here on the forum that wanted books, but were unable to obtain them.

I don't think you have to worry about your DWL 1200T Pro being limited. In fact, I wouldn't imagine that there would ever be a large number of DWL books ever in print. Nothing would make me happier than to see the DWL book get picked-up by a big hitter from the publishing world, and see 1.5 Million copies go into circulation. It might take a little of the financial strain off our good friend Pete, and it would give the Legends of diving the recognition that they deserve.:p (As well as Pete getting the recognition that he deserves)

Not to worry John, the 1st edition is always the most sought after.;-)

·
Registered
570 Posts
2nd edition is probably the wrong nomenclature. Pete had originally planned on a run of 200-300 books. After this last fiasco with the printers, he has been able to get a fraction of that number. Many of the legends were unable to get the number of books that they desired, and there have been quite a number of people here on the forum that wanted books, but were unable to obtain them.

I don't think you have to worry about your dwl 1200t pro being limited. In fact, i wouldn't imagine that there would ever be a large number of dwl books ever in print. Nothing would make me happier than to see the dwl book get picked-up by a big hitter from the publishing world, and see 1.5 million copies go into circulation. It might take a little of the financial strain off our good friend pete, and it would give the legends of diving the recognition that they deserve.:p (as well as pete getting the recognition that he deserves)

not to worry john, the 1st edition is always the most sought after.;-)

+1:-!

·
Registered
146 Posts
What second edition?

JM, I find this to be a very selfish attitude to take. Not all of us can afford the Watch, or even want the watch since Doxa made them the smaller size. So I guess the rest of us should be left out of the chance to get the book?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Guys, little bit of clarification here. The first run of books is done. All gone. Printer really let me down so much so that I didn't even get one of the special books with the original signatures page....faaaaaaccccckkkkkkk!!!!!!!!! :-|:-|:-|:-|:-|:-|

They were also bloody expensive. It meant that I had to sell the book for 59 dollars to even make a couple of dollars profit. Because the book was so expensive and I had to give so many away it meant the whole operation cost me a bunch of money. I'd have been financially better off not doing the book and just buying a SUB 1200T. However, I didn't do it for the money and even before Doxa got involved I had allocated 2,000 dollars to produce the book for the Legends only.

With the cost of the book and the paypal and the priority mail it meant people were paying $75 for the DWL book. Not many people want to pay that. I don't want people to have to pay that. I feel bad charging for priority mail as it still took 5 weeks after the presentation to get books to people because of the fecking printers.

So what I have (almost) done is work out a deal with another printer for another run of the book at a lower price. It will be a slightly different book. Slightly thinner paper. Slightly darker cover with lighter text and no facsimile of the Legends signature sheet. Not only does this make the first run very special but also absolutely limited.

I am very conscious that the first run cost more than the second and I want to make the first run special. Hell, I had actually toyed with removing all the Doxa content and making the second run purely a Legends only book to differentiate it from the "Doxa" first run. That would make it cheaper from the point of less pages but I think the Birth of a Legend and Legends with a Legend chapters are pretty cool.

I have redone the cover to take off the "Presented by DOXA SA" but Rick asked me to keep it on. That also would differentiate the book should I do that.

Guys bottom line is I want as many books out there as possible. I'll never sell enough to recover the money spent but as I said that is not the point. Its a book full of fantastic stories and adventures and wonderful people. It deserves to be read and obviously the lower the price the bigger the chance that people will buy it.

Remember, I have to fork out thousand of dollars up front to pay for the books (the first run printer bill was almost 9 grand). I could end up with a shedload of books sitting in my front room and never selling. Risky business.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Pete

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that we have that out of the way...........

Let's not forget the reason for this thread. Any errors found, PLEASE report them to me via PM or email.:thanks

·
Registered
905 Posts
JM, I find this to be a very selfish attitude to take. Not all of us can afford the Watch, or even want the watch since Doxa made them the smaller size. So I guess the rest of us should be left out of the chance to get the book?
Sorry you find it that way ... was not meet to be, I have sent you a PM to take this off the forum.

John

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I have only read a few of the stories thus far, but the account of the Trieste decent to the bottom of the ocean was fascinating. For anyone who might enjoy real life adventure stories, from the men who actually where there, then I think you would enjoy this book.

Thanks for the hard work and passion Doc, I for one would tell you thanks, it really paid off.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Thanks Steven. I appreciate it.

Well I should find out about the second run in a day or so and I'm hoping the books should be available in 3 weeks. The original printers still haven't finished printing the rest of the books yet. I'm desperately trying to get books to Doxa for all the overseas DWL buyers. Nightmare.

I've changed the manuscript to remove the legends signature sheet and modified the cover slightly. I corrected a mispelling and changed the error on Karl's name. The 2nd run will be easy to differentiate from the first run. It should also be cheaper.

Pete

I have only read a few of the stories thus far, but the account of the Trieste decent to the bottom of the ocean was fascinating. For anyone who might enjoy real life adventure stories, from the men who actually where there, then I think you would enjoy this book.

Thanks for the hard work and passion Doc, I for one would tell you thanks, it really paid off.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts

Wait 'till you read Graham Hawkes story.b-)

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Another run of the DWL book is great news for me. Like Peter said, people weren't able to get a copy and I am one of the many people who missed out on the first run. I will be anticipating the DWL being available again. |>

·
Registered
352 Posts
Doc: Please count me in on a copy of the book. I just got done reading Shadow Divers and this seems like a great follow up read.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Guys,

I thought the deal was done with the new printer but after shipping them a book to show what the original was like, they started making noises about wanting me to see a test print first.... Jeeez it never goes the way I want. Trying to sort it out so I have books to ship in 2 weeks. I'll post info here and update

www.divingwithlegends.com

when I have news.

Pete

·
Registered
570 Posts
Doc: Please count me in on a copy of the book. I just got done reading Shadow Divers and this seems like a great follow up read.
That was a fantastic read! Another book was written about the father and son team that died on one of the dives to the sub.

Last Dive: A Father and Son's Fatal Descent Into the Ocean's Depths
by Bernie Chowdhury

Now, back on track...I'll buy the second edition of DWL too.:-!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
That was a fantastic read! Another book was written about the father and son team that died on one of the dives to the sub.

Last Dive: A Father and Son's Fatal Descent Into the Ocean's Depths
by Bernie Chowdhury

Now, back on track...I'll buy the second edition of DWL too.:-!
Richie Kohler mention them on Dr. Peter's book. I haven't had the chance to read much (DWL) but so far I really loved Richie Kohler chapter

·
Registered
694 Posts
Guys,

I thought the deal was done with the new printer but after shipping them a book to show what the original was like, they started making noises about wanting me to see a test print first.... Jeeez it never goes the way I want. Trying to sort it out so I have books to ship in 2 weeks. I'll post info here and update

www.divingwithlegends.com

when I have news.

Pete

Pete,

I loved the pre-production one and I have read it twice and I eagerly await getting my hands on one of the second print run to read all the other stories........ twice at least :-d:-d:-d

I am more than happy to wait and it does not really bother me how long it takes and I am sure everybody appreciates the time and work you have put into this project. I had no idea it cost you so much to put together :oops:

I just really wanted to say thanks for your persistance in getting the DWL project to where it is now, I'm sure someone else would have given up a long time ago, and I get a strange feeling the second run will be sold out when it becomes available.

Thanks Pete :-! (now go and get me my blooming book sorted :-d:-d:-d)

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
645 Posts
Now I'm worried since I paid the $75 for the first edition book and have never received it. I hope I didn't get missed.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Now I'm worried since I paid the $75 for the first edition book and have never received it. I hope I didn't get missed.

Wayne
Wayne,

I just arrived home after a 24 hour travel from Azerbaijan. I will pick up the outstanding 1st edition books on Monday (hopefully) and send those out. I'll pick up the 2nd Edition books on Thursday and send those out as well. The real pisser about the situation is it is almost 4 months since I ordered the 1st edition and they still haven't fulfilled the order. None of the overseas DWL guys have their books yet.Totally unacceptable but what can I do other than throw a rock through their window. The new printers in contrast promise me a 12 days turnaround.

Jet lagged out of my tree at the minute. Going to bed. I'll check mail etc tomorrow.

Pete

·
Registered
645 Posts
No problem Pete. I haven't been on here for three weeks and didn't realize that you didn't get all of the first edition copies yet. Take care and get some rest.

PS you can disregard my PM and email I sent you since you answered me here.

Wayne

1 - 20 of 20 Posts