WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am considering adding a "fun" watch to my mix that has a DLC case.

I do realize that all surface treatments can and will be scratched. But I do realize that there are differences in DLC based on process that can effect wear. I also know that there are many PVD coatings that have abraded badly over time and DLC'd bracelets that have worn (metal on metal abrasion). This watch is on a rubber strap. So where is the technology today? am I asking for trouble by buying a black DLC watch?

thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
DLC is almost impossible to scratch by abrasion, but you can damage it with impacts - it tends to chip rather than simply scratch. They tend to hold up better than black PVD.

The dial looks cool, but I find the crown is unnecessarily big.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

I would love to hear from others as well about how their watches have held up to normal wear and tear?

Chronoswiss has their cases DLC'd by Argor-Aliba in Switzerland using their Dianoir (tm) process.

Argor Aljba: Watches & Jewellery

DLC is almost impossible to scratch by abrasion, but you can damage it with impacts - it tends to chip rather than simply scratch. They tend to hold up better than black PVD.

The dial looks cool, but I find the crown is unnecessarily big.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had a Steinhart Triton 100 DLC and it held up fine after a year and half until I sold it. The only blemish it had on the bezel was very very faint and I don't know how it got there. I did knock it on a door frame once and it showed no signs of it. Of course the watch is built like a tank. For me it held up really well, but it was on rubber and I would assume a DLC bracelet will show signs of wear much faster than the watch head.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience with DLC.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
My DLC Dievas is pristine after a year - not a mark. That said I only wear it 1 in 3 days and don't subject it to much.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
my cheap (I think it was $150 or something) Fossil has a black DLC coating and I've beaten the heck out of the watch in Vietnam. It definitely has a number of scratches, but for what it has been through, I'm actually pretty impressed...I think if I babied it, it could go years without a visible (steel showing through) scratch. Still I prefer exposed metal because I can refinish or just send it in and have them do it quite easily.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All positive experiences. I am getting the impression that the technology is robust if properly applied to the case.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
My DLC coated Halios Puck has taken a scratch from a careless strap change but shows no other signs of wear or tear. My DLC NFW Autopilot hasn't a scratch or blemish and neither of these watches are safe queens.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This watch won't be a "safe queen" but it won't be subject to anything other than the normal amount of wear and tear that most watches see. Additionally, due to the size of my collection, it will likely see 20-30 days a year max on my wrist...

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
This watch won't be a "safe queen" but it won't be subject to anything other than the normal amount of wear and tear that most watches see. Additionally, due to the size of my collection, it will likely see 20-30 days a year max on my wrist...
As long as those 20-30 days aren't whilst potholing you should be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts