WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get my Super Avenger DLC coated. I've seen mostly Rolex's done but not one Breitling, is there a mechanical reason why I've never seen an Breitling done?

Does anyone have a contact that can do the coating for me?

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
830 Posts
I would assume it's because the SA also come in a black steel is probably why you haven't seen much of it. I would assume it might look similar. Hence why you haven't seen anyone do it. I look forward to seeing what yours looks like after you get it finished!

·
Registered
120 Posts
DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) is also applied by the PVD (Physical Vapour Deposition) process which is what the Black Steel is coated with.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Im looking to get my Super Avenger DLC coated. I've seen mostly Rolex's done but not one Breitling, is there a mechanical reason why I've never seen an Breitling done?

Does anyone have a contact that can do the coating for me?

Thanks, Brian
Just look up "super avenger blacksteel." As far as aftermarket goes, ive read a lot of good stuff about Jack @ IWW.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would assume it's because the SA also come in a black steel is probably why you haven't seen much of it. I would assume it might look similar. Hence why you haven't seen anyone do it. I look forward to seeing what yours looks like after you get it finished!
I've seen the Black steel many times, the problem is that I already have my SA, and Im not buying another Brietling, there's to many other watch's I want before buying a 2nd identical watch. This is why Im looking into th DLC.
I just wasn't sure if there was a reason why I have not seen this done besides the obvious(guess I should have said that in my original post)

Just look up "super avenger blacksteel." As far as aftermarket goes, ive read a lot of good stuff about Jack @ IWW.
I've worn quite a few of them over the last 2 years, the problem is that when I picked this watch up I was not aware of the black steel, even though I asked several sales people at 2 different tourneau's about getting one with a black case.

Here is what I have now:

Thanks for your help, Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
960 Posts
As my new job is in the vacuum business (pfeiffer vacuum) i can say its a costly project that ruin your watch value even if it work out fine

the best and cheapest thing is to sell your watch and buy the model you desire

the process take up to 8h to complete in a vacuum chamber and don't hide scratches so your watch has to be freshly polished and striped to smallest parts possible

then slightest error in the process destroy the outcome and due the PVD/DLC its harder than the watch it self you cant remove it

so my recommendation is sell your watch and buy one that you want
ore let it be original and like it the way it is

Jonas straka

·
Registered
194 Posts
Jojo - you didn't strike me as being in the vacuum business...!! That was interesting what you said though.

I almost imagined you as a maritime yatchsman or some seafaring person of sorts... lol

I'm a restauranteur by trade.

Regards

Stevie

·
Registered
960 Posts
Jojo - you didn't strike me as being in the vacuum business...!! That was interesting what you said though.

I almost imagined you as a maritime yatchsman or some seafaring person of sorts... lol

I'm a restauranteur by trade.

Regards

Stevie
Thanks but its only my hobby to sail my ship ;-)

Last year i started as a employee at pfeiffer as i found it one very interesting job, its more than you can imagine into it

regards Jonas straka

·
Registered
940 Posts
Look into getting the bracelet done too. The various Blacksteel models Breitling sell just don't look right on a rubber strap, especially the big SA. Would look much better on a Black bracelet too.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Look into getting the bracelet done too. The various Blacksteel models Breitling sell just don't look right on a rubber strap, especially the big SA. Would look much better on a Black bracelet too.
Have to agree with that, never understood why Breitling did not go the whole hog and include a black steel bracelet:-s. I have heard some that say it would be too expensive but people buy the diamond bezel or gold models so why not:-!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Have to agree with that, never understood why Breitling did not go the whole hog and include a black steel bracelet:-s. I have heard some that say it would be too expensive but people buy the diamond bezel or gold models so why not:-!
I think it has more to do with the inevitable wearing down of the coating on the surfaces that rub against each other rather than the cost.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Gotta disagree with that, as an SABS owner ;-)

The black original Diver Pro fits it's perfectly, and weights, what is a heavy watch head, perfectly. As does the leather strap I have for it also.

Also, to agree with others, the wear on the bracelet would be a lot more obvious. I already have wear on the buckle, and if that was extended to a bracelet it would not look good. The watch head itself though has weared extremely well though, with no signs of wear or tear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts