WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that Jack at IWW is DLC'ing a few Rolex watches. I hope he doesn't mind me posting them here.

Up first - a SD:

And a Daytona:

Love the first one - indifferent about the second. I'm not so much a purist like others but an interested in your opinions.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I like them both. As long as the coating is a dark black and not a gun metal-ish grey. But I think they look pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cool - wasn't sure what you all would think. That DLC might be the mod that will get me back into a Rolex. I'd go with another GMT though.... ;-)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Gotta do something about the bezel insert. The shinny insert doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I dig it. I think the GMT II is my favorite of the three presented, the red gmt hand just breaks it up a bit.
As for the DLC bracelet, I am left puzzled. From what I ever read and had been told DLC surfaces could not touch each other, due to hardness? I first heard that from a BAll rep when explaining why the Night Train would never get a bracelet. I read it once or twice on WUS, then did a little research my self.
Can anyone speak with some authority on this? Are the watch and case DLC and the bracelet and links PVD'd?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have heard that they will not work on it.:-(

Hhhmmm... that might be a deal-breaker but I do see that Jack does service on Rolex watches. Based on his reputation and participation in various forums, I'd probably be comfortable with him providing service or finding a reputable service guy locally.

I know that in the Phoenix area, I used a repair person who provided Rolex service for all of the local stores. Years ago, I visited his shop - attached to his home which was off of US 60 and ...McClintock for the local folks - and it was quite impressive. That gentleman was advancing in the years though - may not be doing watch work since it's been a few years since that occured.

I guess this is a highly personal modification - something you do for your own taste recognizing that service and resaleability will likely be impacted. I think I can get comfortable with that.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Based on his reputation and participation in various forums, I'd probably be comfortable with him providing service or finding a reputable service guy locally.

there are numerous ways to get a rolex serviced: lots of independent watchmakers are rolex certified, and thus can order parts direct from rolex.
DW

1 - 20 of 24 Posts