WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering, as the US Dollar is currently weaker than the Euro, whether it may be a good idea to at least explore the option of buying a new watch from the US. :think:

There are 2 problems with this, as I see them. First, I have no idea whether American Breitling Dealers would be willing to do this, and if I find one that would do it, would the price difference be significant? The thing is, when the watch comes to our customs, they will charge me 4,5% of the full price of the package for importing a mechanical watch, and then on top of that, they'll add 20% of tax. o|

On the other hand, I've been reading here that people get a 20-30% off MSRP, which is usually lower than the European one in the first place. |>

So, if any of you has had experience with this, please share them with me and also please send me a PM, if you have a good and reliable AD that you think might be interested and I'll get in touch with them via email and see what can be done. ;-)

Thank you very much for your help. :-!

Kind regards,

David :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
It's probably cheaper to take a flight here and wear it back. You save the 20% tax and duty. I did that with my TT Sub 7 years ago in Germany and it cost 67% of what it would have cost in the U.S. Sweet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe you're right, I'll look into that.

I've been looking at the list of B dealers from New York, and one of the biggest ones, Tourneau, will not ship to international addresses. :-(

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,036 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dollar may be down but the flight and accomodation will come in at more then $1500US, at a minimum, according to the Flight Centre web site. And that is flying direct to NYNY from Saltzberg in Austria.

Did a little digging...

http://ezrez.flightcentre.us/travel/arc_process.cfm?search=true
Thank you for your effort. I've been looking at the prices at Ryanair and Easyjet, and flights are not that cheap, especially considering what you mentioned, there is no direct line from the Ljubljana airport, and I'd have to travel to Austria first.

I guess the only option would be to have it shipped, I wrote an email to Kenjo in NY, and I'll see what they say about international orders.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In another topic, someone is talking about sales tax and how you don't have to pay it if a watch is sent out of state. Can you tell me how much that is and if it is included in the MSRP? I'll go to one of the grey market web dealer websites, to obtain the MSRP for the watches I'm looking at.

Oh, and I'd still be grateful if someone wants to send me the email of their favorite AD.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Cheapest flight from Amsterdam to lets say Miami 260 euro , dec - 6th till dec 13th (cheaptickets.nl)

so it should be absolutely possible to to go, pick up watch, fly back and still pay less money than what you would pay in europe

alternatively try finding a flight to Singapore or HongKong and pay even less for a watch

-Rene

·
Registered
331 Posts
You can currently get a flight from London to New York for £300 (< $600US) return. Post the box back as a gift, and wear the watch - job done.

Would be a long day though ;)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
You can currently get a flight from London to New York for £300 (< $600US) return. Post the box back as a gift, and wear the watch - job done.

Would be a long day though ;)
thats what summer holidays are for, a: you get a vacation, b:you can buy loads of stuff and if you were gonna be there anyway then the flights and hotel are incidental

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your inputs. ;-)

I have a question for all you guys from the UK; how are your ADs with giving discounts and what are the prices like? I have no idea what Breitling prices in England are like, so maybe it would be worth asking. We are all in the EU, so no taxes or duties. If any of you has a good reference, please let me know. If the same dealer also carries Omega, that would be great, as I would also like to get a quote for a Seamaster.

Must report that I haven't heard a word back from Kenjo, a big watch dealer in NYC. I guess they're so uninterested in overseas sales, they don't even bother to answer emails from us across the pond. Oh, well. :-s

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
In another topic, someone is talking about sales tax and how you don't have to pay it if a watch is sent out of state. Can you tell me how much that is and if it is included in the MSRP?
No. State sales tax is never, ever included in MSRP. This is because (a) it varies so much, from 0 to 10%, depending on the state, and (b) Americans like to know how much of their already-taxed income is being taxed again - unlike Europeans, who are mostly in denial about this IMHO.

Always a good idea to compare like for like. Sure, you can buy a watch in the US at MSRP and pay no sales tax, but when you import it, if you avoid paying the import duty/VAT somehow, then you're not comparing like for like. (Same reason a US buyer in London might recoil at the VAT-inclusive price, but he should be taking 14.9% off the price he sees in the store, because he doesn't have to pay the VAT component.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts