WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Several of the vintage ones didn't...

Do high end quarts watches have sapphire crystal?
The age of the watch is one factor. The Omega Electroquartz, with cal 1300 "Beta 21" movement (early 1970s), had a mineral glass crystal. The Omega Megaquartz with cal 1510 movement, which came a few years later, had a mineral glass crystal on the stainless steel version but a sapphire crystal on the gold version. The Omega Marine Chronometer (cal 1511 and 1516), which came out about that same time (c.1974), had a sapphire crystal.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Re: Several of the vintage ones didn't...

The age of the watch is one factor. The Omega Electroquartz, with cal 1300 "Beta 21" movement (early 1970s), had a mineral glass crystal. The Omega Megaquartz with cal 1510 movement, which came a few years later, had a mineral glass crystal on the stainless steel version but a sapphire crystal on the gold version. The Omega Marine Chronometer (cal 1511 and 1516), which came out about that same time (c.1974), had a sapphire crystal.
Good morning, Craig. Per the Omegamania catalog, the Beta 21 had sapphire crystals (at least the gold ones):

Omegamania lot 179

Do you think this might be another error?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
My GP and Seamaster have plastic/mineral crystals. Sapphire is not a must have requirement to qualify as HEQ, imho.

Alex:-!

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
...Sapphire is not a must have requirement to qualify as HEQ, imho...
I agree but I must add that the sapphire glass is one of the most important features I look for before I purchase a watch and I mean any watch.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts

Good morning, Craig. Per the Omegamania catalog, the Beta 21 had sapphire crystals (at least the gold ones):

Omegamania lot 179

Do you think this might be another error?
Yes. If you log into Omega's vintage website, it lists the cal 1300 "Beta 21" ref. no. BA 396.0802 ("BA" is the gold one) as having a "mineral" crystal. These crystals are quite easy to scratch. I have had both replaced. They ain't sapphire!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts

Yes. If you log into Omega's vintage website, it lists the cal 1300 "Beta 21" ref. no. BA 396.0802 ("BA" is the gold one) as having a "mineral" crystal. These crystals are quite easy to scratch. I have had both replaced. They ain't sapphire!
Once again, Omegamania disinformation strikes.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Can somebody please stop this guy????????????? :-|.

Daddel.

G

·
If by high end quartz you mean any watch with a rated accuracy of better than 30 seconds a year, then ALL of Seiko's and Citizen's current offerings are sapphire equipped. In particular, take a look at Seiko's watches powered by the 8f32 perpetual calendar movement or Citizen's Exceed line or the Chronomaster, currently the most accurate production watch in the world (+-5 seconds a year).

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Can somebody please stop this guy????????????? :-|.

Daddel.
Who are you referring to, Daddel? The Omegamania disinformation that I was referring to is the information that Antiquorum (presumably with Omega's help) put into their Omegamania catalog. No forum members to blame for that one.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
If by high end quartz you mean any watch with a rated accuracy of better than 30 seconds a year, then ALL of Seiko's and Citizen's current offerings are sapphire equipped. In particular, take a look at Seiko's watches powered by the 8f32 perpetual calendar movement or Citizen's Exceed line or the Chronomaster, currently the most accurate production watch in the world (+-5 seconds a year).
Actually, many Seiko with movements from the 8F family are not equipped with sapphire. Most of them have hardlex.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts