WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 516 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This brand's quality control is widely said to be somewhere north of Mars. . . making it a questionable thing, buying a watch from Invicta.

The 9404 is a nice white faced diver with an NH35 movement at a good price. . . BUT there are lotsa buts. . . will the bezel actually work? will it keep time?

Should I opt it safe and just say no?

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
This brand's quality control is widely said to be somewhere north of Mars. . . making it a questionable thing, buying a watch from Invicta.

The 9404 is a nice white faced diver with an NH35 movement at a good price. . . BUT there are lotsa buts. . . will the bezel actually work? will it keep time?

Should I opt it safe and just say no?
Even if Invicta is an order of magnitude worse in quality control than Seiko, what does that mean? Do you have a 1/1000 chance of a bad Invicta vs 1/10,000 chance of a bad Seiko? Nobody here has actual statistics about quality and failure rates, so everything is anecdotal. There are lots of people here who have had no problems with their Invictas. There are also a lot of people here who have never owned an Invicta, who will tell you horror stories about someone they heard about who had one. The NH35A movement is basically an upgraded version of the 7S26 with hacking and hand winding, AKA the Seiko 4R35. ISeiko uses them in a few upper end 5's and the new Monster divers, so it should offer the same bullet-proof reliability.

Buy from someplace with a good return policy, if you're that worried, like Amazon. If Invictas were really as awful as some people here think, they would be out of business. Instead, their big ugly monster watches, not only sell well on Evine, but there are pirated versions of Invicta Reserves being manufactured in China. Do you think Evine would continue hawking Invictas if a significant number of them were getting returned?

Invicta's Pro Diver line is somewhat respected here, with the 8926 being really popular for modding. The 9404 is the same basic model, with different color choices. I have heard people here who have had bad experiences with Orient watches, but that brand seems immune to the hate Invicta garners.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nothing wrong with Invicta as long as you buy it from someone with a good return policy as noted above. I've owned a 8926 pro diver which I was very happy with, for the price paid. Just don't buy at MSRP!

There is a series on wus called under the microscope by a member whose name I've forgotten. The Invicta was pretty much flawless, which means that they are assembled in a clean environment by people who know what they are doing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I won an 8926 on ebay for $34 last week. It's in perfect condition. So for that price, I think its a great deal. I got it because I want to dip my toe into modding and this is a great model in terms of easily available affordable parts (bezel, dial, crystal, hands etc).

As others have said, the MSRP is vastly inflated to make it seem like you are getting a real deal. But I have yet to see any location, online or otherwise selling at the actual MSRP. It's a $50-$150 watch depending on the model, so as long as you don't think you're getting a $600 watch for $85 you should be fine.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
The 9404 isn't bad looking, in fact the white dial and bezel color combo is pretty nice. If the price is right, why not?

Had a 8926 for a while, it was well built (except for the bracelet), kept time as you would expect of the Seiko movement and had no issues with water.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

·
Banned
844 Posts
I own a 9404 which has a Miyota 82XX movement and a 0997 with a NH35A. Both have been reliable and were daily wearers for a long time. I'm in the process of doing a mod on the 9404. I recently replaced the crystal and strap on the 0997 and it is back in my rotation.

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
I say go for it if you like it. I have several Grand Divers with the the NH35A movement. They are solid well made reliable watches for the money, great bang for the buck. As others have said just be realistic and know that your buying a $100. -$150. watch and not a $600. dollar watch for that price and you should be fine. I've had mine for several years now and not a problem with any one of them. The NH35A is bullet proof and keeps excellent time, as good or better than some of my ETA's.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
If you look at my sigline you will see the two model Invictas I have. They are very very nice watches at very very reasonable prices. I always buy from Amazon because of their good return policy, for everything.

I'm currently debating getting another one, the 8926 (basically the same as the 5053, but black) or a Seiko SKX007K2. I may go for the Seiko just because I happen to like Seikos, not necessarily because it is better made.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've owned a few Invictas and in fact, my daily driver is an Invicta. Stay away from the lower end models and the quartz watches. Purchase only the watches with the NH35A movement, like the Grand Diver (between $100 and $200, depending on who you buy from) and you can't go wrong. Believe me, the Grand Divers as well made as any Sandoz, Oris, Tissot, Orient, Seiko, etc... and better than anyones quartz watch. They're worth $100.00 where-as no TAG is worth $1,000.00.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I've owned a few Invictas and in fact, my daily driver is an Invicta. Stay away from the lower end models and the quartz watches. Purchase only the watches with the NH35A movement, like the Grand Diver (between $100 and $200, depending on who you buy from) and you can't go wrong. Believe me, the Grand Divers as well made as any Sandoz, Oris, Tissot, Orient, Seiko, etc... and better than anyones quartz watch. They're worth $100.00 where-as no TAG is worth $1,000.00.
The internet is a funny place. We try to defend a brand like Invicta, which takes a lot of heat they don't deserve. Then some guys says they are just as good as Tissot and Oris. I understand defending Invicta on a small scale, but that's gong a little overboard chief. While we are being totally unrealistic lets crap all over TAG Heuer because they turn a hefty profit.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

I thought this thread deserved some pictures.

·
Banned
2,835 Posts
The five quartz Invictas I bought the last two months have been perfect.....much to the dismay of many on this board. Buy one and see for yourself. They are more than competitive in the price range they compete in. Take advice from those of us that actually own one to get an accurate review of Invictas and forget those that don't.

1 - 20 of 516 Posts