WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

My watch collection currently consists of both automatic and quartz pieces. I used to think that I NEEDED quartz watches for outdoor activities (boating, hiking, yard work, etc) and for work (Healthcare/EMS) due to their durability and low maintenance.

Two years ago I bought my first automatic, an Omega Seamaster 300m. My collection of automatics continues to grow, and I rarely wear my quartz pieces anymore!

So far, I have worn my autos during most of the activities I thought they were I’ll suited for; I wore them hiking, boating, swimming, biking, playing drums, at work...pretty much anything I have done in the past year, if I was wearing a watch, It was an auto! Also, my grandfather was well known in the family for his automatic watch; he was always telling everyone how it never needed a battery and “charged” just by wearing it. It became his “shtick” and I hope to make it mine as well now that I have an infant son.

I am considering selling off my quartz watches and moving to just autos, save for a couple of pieces that hold sentimental value (wedding/anniversary gifts).

My question is, do I really NEED quartz watches in my collection? For those of you with only autos, why? Have you ever been in a scenario where you wished you had a quartz in your wrist instead of an auto?

For those of you who have to have quartz in your collection, also, why? What role does it fill that an auto can’t?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
What? Are you going to wear an expensive automatic washing your car or doing yard work? I don't, this is why I keep a couple of quartz beaters.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Quartz have their place and some quartz are interesting movements in their own right. I too wore my SMP for two decades sailing solo, motorcycling, woodworking, et cetera. I really like quartz for grab and go, too many autos that need to be set each time and I set to exact time, with the minute hand hitting exactly on mark, my OCD requires it so doing that every time gets old for me.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I used to think that autos could handle everything so I wore them doing everything. Until I wore my IWC Aquatimer while hand splitting wood. Shortly after it stopped running and cost me a service to get it going again. I always keep a G-Shock now for work chores.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
A quartz watch has no soul, no blood flowing through it's veins, no heartbeat so to speak. Automatics speak to me and that's where I'm happy. There was no such thing as quartz when I started wearing a watch. Do I own any, yes I do but there's no real life to them.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I don't wear watches when I'm doing chores/yardwork/etc and if I did I have a number of mechanicals are supremely durable. I buy quartz because I like the watch, and they do things an automatic cannot.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I still have a couple, one of which is a HAQ. No real need but I do like how those 2 look that’s why I bought them. Besides, in an end of the world scenario it would be much easier to look for a battery than a watch repair guy, assuming you know and have the basic tool for changing a battery.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
A quartz watch has no soul, no blood flowing through it's veins, no heartbeat so to speak. Automatics speak to me and that's where I'm happy. There was no such thing as quartz when I started wearing a watch. Do I own any, yes I do but there's no real life to them.
Neither does a mechanical. A quartz watch has a beat and gears too by the way.

·
Registered
197 Posts
For watch lovers, It only should be automatic movement because it has a soul inside the watch.

For watch users, Maybe quartz movement is better because you don't have to worry anything, you just do grab and go.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you're active you will break or damage an automatic movement eventually, the fact you haven't yet is not because they are as tough as quartz.
Just be like ole grandad if that's what you want to do, but the resilience of a mechanical movement should not be the shroud you need to cloak it in.

I have both and enjoy both but am more careful in my activities with my autos because Ive damaged a couple.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Tell me more of this soul, I am intrigued by this new strain of watch theology. And, when the watch dies, is there are watch Heaven and a watch Hell?
I feel very good when I do manual winding. It feels like I am the same part with my watch. When the watch dies, its soul will be going to the hell but it's still waiting there until the watch is fixed. When the watch is fixed already, the soul will come back again. The movement inside the watch is the heaven of the soul.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I love my mechanical watches, and when I was younger my daily wear watches were worn for everything; swimming, yard work, whatever...though I wouldn't necessarily treat them that way now.

I think the only reason you would need a quartz watch today is if you felt you needed the ultimate in timekeeping, and bought a high accuracy quartz watch like a Longines VSP or Grand Seiko 9F. You're talking about movements that would only vary a few seconds per year.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Tell me more of this soul, I am intrigued by this new strain of watch theology. And, when the watch dies, is there are watch Heaven and a watch Hell?
I'm not sure. Maybe it's a bit of a reincarnation thing.

It has been said that the soul of an expensive dead Rolex watch transmigrates to its new home inside an automatic watch from Vincero, thereby cutting out the middle man.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Most of this hobby is not about need. Even what you want changes over time based on lifestyle, interests, etc. At times I have not wanted or needed a quartz watch, but currently I like having a quartz. It is nice to grab and go and not worry about. In particular I love the G-Shocks for that ability.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I bought a quartz a couple of weeks ago (a Seiko Safarni SNJ031). I have a few automatics but really just wanted a grab-and-go tough watch. I love it and is in the regular rotation with my other watches. So for me, automatics and quartz are not mutually exclusive and there is a role for Quartz in my collection and possibly your collection, too.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts