WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question comes up a lot, but during my research I could only find threads that were 5 years or older. Sorry for the repetitive questions:

1. I'm from USA.. and going to different countries in Europe. Mainly tourist spots.. Do I take my nicer watches or do you recommend me taking my beaters? A part of me wants to make memories with my nicer watches on this trip, but another part says... don't risk it.

2. Is it cheaper to buy a watch in Paris or Rome with VAT Refunds than the states?

Just trying to find some feedback, thanks.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
What are you risking? I assume you're going to the same types of places in Europe that you'd visit in the US, so where is the increased risk? I bought my watches to enjoy so I wear them wherever I go. I also take 2-3 with me as I like variety. Again, I don't see the increased risk. YMMV.

edit - Oh, and I'll yield to Mike about buying in Europe. I'm sure he has much more experience than I do on the subject. However, buying a watch on a trip like this is cool and I'd consider paying a bit of a premium over the typical online price just to have a watch with a built-in memory.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just returned from a trip to EU with a group of people, and one of my friends was wearing his Rolex (his everyday watch). We never felt unsafe in any way, but I'd guess it depends on the specific places you are planning to visit. Same common sense rules apply as with carrying your wallet, rings, etc. Also, passing through any airport security, I put my watch in the carry-on and put a small combination lock on it to make sure that it's not as easy to get in if I'm pulled aside

·
Registered
393 Posts
Depends where you are going. If you are going to stay in an 8 bed dorm in napels, probably not bring your diamond encrusted envicta. Cruise around the prostitue highway in slovakia; just wear a seiko. Space out in amsterdam on wheed and xtc; forget about a watch. Time will not mather anyway. . For the rest i assume same rules as in us apply.

I doubt watches wil be cheaper over here. But just do the math. Price- vat (19-21% in most countries) plus possible import duties is your us price.

So what memories do you aim to collect?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Europe and tourist locations is somewhat broad of a concept, but still we are most of the times civilized people over here.
Should you take your watches to different states in the U.S. is the same the same type of a question you should ask yourself when it comes to taking watches to Europe.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, this is the feedback I was looking for. I’m going to take my watch and enjoy even though the high tourist areas isn’t ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
totally safe in western europe. no deals in big cities. i see more nice watches in europe than chicago. i dip my watch in the ocean or river on most vacations. allows me to better remember the trips!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you go to Italy just be careful in big crowded space like trainstations. In Naples I suggest you to wear something that it's not a Rolex and be very careful if you do, any other brand is ok though :)
Have a nice trip and enjoy Italy, if you need any suggestion pm me ;)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Gotta say, in the first link, the image of the two on a scooter, if that's a knife it's in the oddest looking sheath I've ever seen. So did the passenger unsheath the knife after the photo, or did he sheath it after the robbery (safety first, right). It looks all the world like some kind of operator-wearable safety strap for the passenger to hold onto.

Same info in the second link but just like bigfoot and ufo's, there's like a 30 second, shakey, blurry video that suddenly ends just before there's a clear shot of the two. Not saying the video is faked but just questioning the subject matter. There's another person on the sidewalk with a helmet, they steal his scooter?

Weird (and sometimes dangerous, injurious) things happen inexplicably. There is no guarantee of safety anywhere. You could easily lose your 'luxury' watch on your way to or from home or work. Big cities are known for being a prime work place for pickpockets, muggers etc and that's true of pretty much anywhere. If you haven't (or can't, or won't) insure your watch then leave it home if its loss means a big financial hit, otherwise take it with you. But if you're constantly checking the time, shooting your arm out to admire your 'precious', or stopping to take pictures of you and precious making memories together THAT might likely key in a bad guy or two.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I would have to agree with what was said above.
I was in Egypt, Thailand, Jordan, and Italy on my last trip.
The only problem I had was in Naples. He did not get the watch. I was not in a particularly sketchy area, but there were alot of hoodlums around that day.

I did refuse to take my watch off at the courthouse a few days ago. In the USA. The group of guys putting their belts back on at the end of the x-ray were making the trays stack up and the sheriffs were not paying attention at all. I walked back to my car and left it there.

·
Banned
230 Posts
Europe is as safe as your country so why not? I have been there couple of times with my luxury watches there is nothing to be scared of, go with your watch and enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I know this question comes up a lot, but during my research I could only find threads that were 5 years or older. Sorry for the repetitive questions:

1. I'm from USA.. and going to different countries in Europe. Mainly tourist spots.. Do I take my nicer watches or do you recommend me taking my beaters? A part of me wants to make memories with my nicer watches on this trip, but another part says... don't risk it.

2. Is it cheaper to buy a watch in Paris or Rome with VAT Refunds than the states?

On question #1, grandma used to say "If you have to ask the question, then you already know the answer."

No clue on #2.

Reactions: fskywalker

·
Registered
285 Posts
Do I take my "Luxury" Watch to USA?

1. I'm from Europe. and going to different states in USA. Mainly tourist spots.. Do I take my nicer watches or do you recommend me taking my beaters? A part of me wants to make memories with my nicer watches on this trip, but another part says... don't risk it.

2. Is it cheaper to buy a watch in New York or Chicago with VAT Refunds than in Europe?

1 - 20 of 203 Posts