WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, was wondering if limited edition and discontinued Invicta watches ever appreciate in monetary value/price.
I've never owned one but am coming close to buying a limited edition one that is about $700. Its discontinued now, but
am wondering whether it would be more valueable in the future

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I can't see how the answer to that question would be yes. Only a very few watches actually appreciate in value and being a "normal" watch company's limited edition is seldom enough. It's usually better to buy watches you want to wear and invest your money in something else.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Very few watches actually go up in value...rare, vintage Rolex or Pateks immediately come to mind...but that's pretty much it. Invicta isn't really considered collectible...in fact most collectors stay away from them. I would suggest you take your money elsewhere...I can't imagine paying $50 for an Invicta...much less $700.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I doubt any Invicta would appreciate in value

Maybe if it was made of candy :think:

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
You buy an Invicta because a particular design appeals to you, because the low price-tag does too, and because you're willing to gamble on the quality.

Honestly, watches are a very poor investment. As others have already mentioned, it's a rare, generally very high-end timepiece that actually appreciates in value. And even then, that appreciation is going to take a big hit each time the timepiece will need to be serviced in order to run properly. Generally once every 5 years or so. Have you seen how much a typical servicing runs for a Rolex? The cost is almost obscene. And that's on a typical Rolex. One that isn't likely to appreciate much, even if the cost of servicing isn't factored in.

An Invicta simply isn't going to appreciate in price. A seller on eBay could list it for $1200 in a year, with the hope that someone ignorant will come along and actually pay the asking price. Doesn't mean it'll actually be worth $1200 in a year.

Reactions: Code4

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I can appreciate an Invicta, but the only models I see appreciating value, are the ones I wear on my wrist. That's partly because I'm the Old Spice man... and the Jose Cuervo man.

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,401 Posts
In a nutshell: NO - those watches aren't an investment. High-end vintage Patek are, Invicta are not.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I would not put Invicta, Limited Edition and value appreciation in the same sentence.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
MOST of the "Limited editions" do not appreciate in value/price in a long term even coming from respected brands.

It (IMHO) is even MORE detrimental for being Invicta since even the pieces that are not "Limited" and supposedly sold in larger numbers gets their support dropped in a short term, I don't know how long they will support pieces that they sold so few of.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Looks like someone has brought up the "I" word again. Please be kind. This message has been brought to you by your long-suffering Moderator team.
My answer to the original poster is "probably not."

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
All quality, informative and reasonable responses on here... Short answer, 99.5% unlikely that a limited edition Invicta will appreciate in any way, shape or form. Now, if you want to buy the watch because you like it's style and are comfortable with the price, then by all means. However, bear in mind that if this particular watch is being listed somewhere for $700, you may very well be able to find it for less elsewhere. That's an awful lot to spend on that particular brand. I would make certain that, at that price point, it had an ETA engine and sapphire crystal, which some Invictas do have.

Good luck, let us know the outcome, feel free to post some pics of said watch!

Dan

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Very few watches go up in value and the one's that do generally do so over a long period of time. As for Invicta's I would say no.

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
You may be able to convince someone to pay more for it, in the future, than you did, but the general answer is it's highly unlikely to appreciate in value over the long term and in the broader marketplace. This is true of most brands and especially true of Invicta.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Appreciate, NO you would be lucky to get 35% of what you paid for it and that's IF you could sell it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Why is it that even though the OP's question has been answered several times over, people still feel the need to pile on? Most watches don't appreciate. This isn't limited to Invicta.

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
Why is it that even though the OP's question has been answered several times over, people still feel the need to pile on? Most watches don't appreciate. This isn't limited to Invicta.
Since when do people stop posting a personal reply simply because someone else posts theirs, before them?

Just because there's a general consensus, doesn't make it a dogpile.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Please let us not forget that some Invicta watches contain ETA movements. Those watches should be as good as most of similarly priced Boutique brands.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.