WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Seiko PADI Tuna 2 weeks ago with the intent to use it as my beater watch. I haven't even gotten the chance to use it outside the house.

Today, I accidentally had a light knock against a painted wooden door frame which I've done with many watches before. It usually leaves some scratches/scuffs on where I hit it and I have the Rolex and Omega scars to prove it. The plastic shroud took 100% of the impact and there is no visual damage on the bezel, the screws, or the lugs. "Cool," I thought, "the shroud handled it like a boss as designed!"

Then I noticed something.

Did I scratch the Hardlex? I took out my loupe to confirm. The dial had cracked. It extends from under the chapter ring, through the 1 o'clock marker, into the center stack. The entire watch looks to be in perfect condition except for the dial. The shock was transferred from the case directly to the dial. WTF? It certainly wasn't there before as I was taking macro shots of the dial yesterday.

Yes, it was my fault for carelessly knocking the watch against the door frame (wear & tear, right?) but this is beyond a bad design when the entire watch shows zero wear from a light knock but the dial is destroyed. I've purchased quite a few Seikos in my lifetime but this will be the last Seiko will ever see of my money.

View attachment 13332355

20180724_121700.jpg

20180724_121726.jpg

Reactions: Davidka

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Ouch! That is a bummer, I have to ask is this a model with the resin/plastic case.?

I'm thinking of a solar but it has a SS case..

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
...but this is beyond a bad design when the entire watch shows zero wear from a light knock but the dial is destroyed. I've purchased quite a few Seikos in my lifetime but this will be the last Seiko will ever see of my money.
Agreed. You should not have to baby a watch, especially one such as this.

Probably one of those freak things, not sure swearing off Seiko forever is warranted, but then again, if it were me, I’m sure I’d be pissed as well.

Reactions: Simon

·
Registered
506 Posts
Which is precisely the reason why if I’m looking for a beater watch with solar charging, I head straight for a G-Shock (square case only).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Wow that's a tough one to swallow, it's probably one of the strangest things I have ever seen break on a watch.

Out of curiosity have you been in touch with Seiko about this?

I'm betting you might find them very sympathetic and personally I would be sending them on some pics. A diver by nature is a beater so the dial should not break that easily at all.

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
That sucks.

I had a Seiko solar (SBDJ011). I whacked that thing against a metal door frame harder than hell on accident. Me and another person were passing through a doorway at the same in opposing directions. I just had to rub some paint from the doorframe off the bezel.

If I were you, I’d try to work with the seller and/or Seiko to see if they will help you in any way. And like somebody else said, this seems to be a freak occurrence. I understand your frustration and there’s no God damned skin off of my back if you never by a Seiko again, but it seems like the stars lined-up against you and this happened under perfect (imperfect?) conditions.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
The SOLAR dial (which is some kind of glass pane I assume) must've been stressed or under pressure, and this was the jolt it needed to crack. Really unfortunate, I wonder if it's indicative of the design or as others have pointed out - a freak accident.

·
Registered
171 Posts
terrible bad luck .

though i'd be fighting tooth and nail with your local seiko repair centre for some sort of compromise / good will gesture to get it "sorted".

its very bad indeed to have failed from such a minor impact in just 2 weeks - i'd be arguing that there must already have been a latent manufacturing weakness in the dial for it to have broke from an impact that left no mark on bezel / casing - take no prisoners.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
- i'd be arguing that there must already have been a latent manufacturing weakness in the dial for it to have broke from an impact that left no mark on bezel / casing .

on second thoughts i'd simply lie through my teeth - seeing as its only 2 weeks old i wouldnt mention any impact if theres no damage to casing / bezel , i'd just claim it came like that out the box and you only noticed now after wearing it for a couple of days

so i'll be taking the standard warranty option of repair or replace thank you very much

·
Registered
971 Posts
Definitely a freak accident. It happens, but I wouldn't go around warning everyone else not to buy the watch… the same thing could happen thousands of times and the watch would probably be fine..Are you sure that it's not a paint from the door left on the crystal that can be scratched off?

·
Registered
620 Posts
on second thoughts i'd simply lie through my teeth - seeing as its only 2 weeks old i wouldnt mention any impact if theres no damage to casing / bezel , i'd just claim it came like that out the box and you only noticed now after wearing it for a couple of days

so i'll be taking the standard warranty option of repair or replace thank you very much
Remind me not to buy or sell or trade watches with you.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Out of curiosity have you been in touch with Seiko about this?

I'm betting you might find them very sympathetic and personally I would be sending them on some pics. A diver by nature is a beater so the dial should not break that easily at all.

Have to agree with both of these

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
6r15, did you get it at a brick&mortar store or the internet, if you walked in and purchased it I would go back and try to work something out with the retailer, otherwise you are at the mercy of the internet dealer, and their policy, good luck, i hope you can get a good result. On the same subject is the case stainless steel or plastic?

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
881 Posts
Methinks the OP is just upset or looking to create a little drama. I'm sure if he contacts Seiko they would at least listen to his scenario. It seems like a legit freak occurrence which should not have occurred. No can just write off seiko because of one fluke. I hope he keeps us informed as to what happens with CS.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sending it to Seiko tomorrow. If they repair it under warranty, cool. If not, they can keep it. Not getting worked up over something under $300.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Are there any beater level seiko divers that have sapphire crystal? I just noticed that even the $1k tunas are hardlex. I guess this brings the Orient Mako 2 USA back into contention even though I think all the low end seikos are way more interesting.

I am not kind to my watches.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts