WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read that Vostok is the official supplier of watches to the Russian Military but do russian soldiers actually wear them? I thought that many of them would use Casio G-Shocks or similar heavy duty quartz watches like US military soldiers does.

As much as I love mechanical watches, I would think that a G-shock is probably much more reliable in the field.

The exception being that in the event of a tactical nuke being dropped nearby the associated electro-magnetic pulse would be more likely to disable the electronic G-shock watch than a mechanical Komandirskie.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
From what I heard and we discussed some months ago, Vostok is not purveyor anymore, nor any Russian manufacturer. It caused some turmoil at that time.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
As far as I know the only watches ever supplied for use of the military were sturmanskies (I don't know about Strelas) made by Poljot for astronauts and pilots and several special 300m Vostok amphibian divers made for military deep-sea divers. Some Vostok komandirskies were available for purchase in special military-only stores but soldiers were not required to wear them. Soldiers wore whatever they had.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I read that Vostok is the official supplier of watches to the Russian Military but do russian soldiers actually wear them? I thought that many of them would use Casio G-Shocks or similar heavy duty quartz watches like US military soldiers does.

As much as I love mechanical watches, I would think that a G-shock is probably much more reliable in the field.

The exception being that in the event of a tactical nuke being dropped nearby the associated electro-magnetic pulse would be more likely to disable the electronic G-shock watch than a mechanical Komandirskie.
A tactical nuke dropped nearby would eliminate the need for any watch and the arms, legs, and body it was associated with. Just kidding, I do understand the nature of your question.

·
Registered
466 Posts
No, they don't. Russian MVD recently contracted with Candino (cheap Quartz Swiss/ Chinese brand) for a batch of watches to give to their officers as a reward for bravery/ other good deeds. It created some ripples among Russian big wigs who stated there are "notable Russian brands still out there" that could be used in this area. So, to answer your question, there is no universal/ special watch that is preffered or issued to them. They wear whatever they can get their hands on.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Candino is a good quality swiss brand owned by a Spanish watch group called Festina. I wouldn't call this brand cheap, many of there watches sell in the 200-500 dollar range. Is there more their more than one Candino? I heard read nothing about these watches being produced in China, unless the Russian Army is buying knock offs?!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Some info about the purchase plans for Candino of MVD:
МВД РФ намерено потратить около 4 млн руб на закупку швейцарских часов | РИА Новости
If the deal happened, I don't know. Don't throw me away from the F10 please, but if I was MVD I would do similar choice. As finish and reliability, and not on the last place - as internal image in Russia, a Swiss Made watch would be much more valued by the non-WIS employees. If it would be Candino is another question. But why not - I don't agree with the statement from kroko either - Candino is neither el-cheapo, nor Chinese.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
As far as I know the only watches ever supplied for use of the military were sturmanskies (I don't know about Strelas) made by Poljot for astronauts and pilots and several special 300m Vostok amphibian divers made for military deep-sea divers. Some Vostok komandirskies were available for purchase in special military-only stores but soldiers were not required to wear them. Soldiers wore whatever they had.
Do you include the Okeah amongst the Poljots you mention Paul?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have no expertise in this field and nothing to add. I'm just glad there's some guys out there working on this question. If I were a Russian Naval Infantryman I would wear a Vostok on both wrists and have a couple in my assault pack for spares.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Vostoks are fashion watches these days and
Now there is something I wasn't expecting to read anywhere. ;)

A fashion watch IMHO is a watch in a particular fancy / cool design, shape and/or size where the major goal is to serve as an accessory to whatever outfit someone is wearing. Movement is of no concern whatsoever, typically just any standard quartz will do.

Swatch, Diesel, Fossil.. Them are fashion watches.

Vostok designs on the other hand don't change significantly for DECADES, and even newer designs pay homage to features in even earlier times.

You can't call that a fashion watch when the model you buy today looks virtually identical to the one that came out of the factory in the early 1980s.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Vostoks are certainly not “fashion” watches like Swatches.I mean come on…they remain basically the same since the 70s and 80s.They are more like “classic” military watches and this is a big part of the charm they have.Like the US Flight jackets A-2, B-15 , CWU 45/P etc .These jackets are around for decades and people buy them b/c they are classics.They never go out of style.
Mechanical Vostoks may not be ideal for a soldier or sailor today- a G-Shock would be more practical-but they surely were fine for the Soviet Army/Navy back in the day.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Vostoks are fashion watches these days and if i was in the army a vostoks the absolute last watch id pick.
Fashion?Faashion?FFAAASHION? BUUURN THE HERETIC!!!!
Wis.png :-d:-d:-d

1 - 20 of 63 Posts