WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Do you get bothered by scratches

• Yes for old and new watches

Votes: 35 28.9%
  • Yes, only for new watches

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • No, they won't bother me

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Depends on the location (e.g. crystal, back, bezel)

Votes: 48 39.7%
  • I don't wear my watches

Votes: 2 1.7%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People tend to hate scratches. But they are also inevitable no matter how well you take care of your watches. Question is do scratches bother you?

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
Yes, buy brushed case watch and sapphire crystal... It will reduced to the minimun.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
They bother me just slightly less than death, taxes, famine and plague.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
They only bother me on the crystal. Anywhere else and I don't care.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Drives me nuts, I obsess over it a LOT and I keep staring at it from all angles and try lots of ways to reduce it or possibly fix it. Some finishes are worse than others, I guess, minor scratches on polished ss is fairly easy to take care of. heck I cant wear a watch with smudges on the crystal even, I HAVE to keep an eye out and clear them when I see it.

·
Banned
668 Posts
Oddly enought, depends. My daily beater maybe not so much
but a Seamaster or tag blue paint bezel, oh yeah.
one reason I got the SS bezel this last time. Buff it off.
had a huge banger on my Rolex, about a month or less into its newness.... But I never took it off and could not see it on the side, yet I knew, every day for the eight years I wore it, the darn thing was banged up.
eventually sold it. Weird, I know. But got more than I paid so what the heck. It could have been buffed out, never did as many times it ruins values on top watches if edges are not sharp.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
My scatch-proof (okay, those were my words) 'harder-than-dlc' Dievas seems to have picked up a ding. Not on the case though (which would, obviously, be impossible) but on the bezel, a material which I'd never questioned the hardness of. I was bothered initially but thereafter? Give a damn...

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I pretend to be aloof, but yeah - they bug me.

I took a brand new Tissot racing touch to a watch guy in the mall....I needed to have the strap cut. It came back with dents on the non chrono side, from where he'd put it down on his bed of gravel / rocks / metal shards to have a look at the watch. It was obvious and it nagged the hell outta me.
I took it home and took to it with some jewellers sand paper, a bit of polish and some 0000 steel wool.

Different watch, different guy - I taped up the lugs this time. He scratched the crap outta the high polished side of the watch instead.

It bugged me again.

I dont mind wear marks, they happen but scratches...they get to me.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
It depends on the watch--you needed that option in the poll results. On a dress watch, yes. On a sport watch, yes, but not as much, maybe not at all. I know we over-do car analogies here, but it's like I would hate to scratch a Mercedes, but it would seem to kind of fit the character of a pickup.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
On a tangent for a second....I picked up my brand new Harley Davidson Streetbob from the Dealership on Xmas eve. I was happy to score one in Vivid black....the deepest blackest black I've ever seen.

It was a sunny day when I drove to the dealership, and as I went through the delivery process of checking over the bike I couldnt help but admire the paint work.

I rode it home and the heavens opened up on me. Not just rain, fat dirty rain.

I get home and theres dried dirt spots all over the paintwork.

I carefully (or so I thought) wiped it down.

This coupled with the 80% polyamide cloth I used put thousands of long microscratches in the clear coat.

Yes, this bugged me too.

If I had bought the bike second hand, I probably wouldnt have even given it a second thought. However, I know I caused those scratches.

(Hours of scratch and swirl remover later and its not as bad...but still there)

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
So long as I don't need stitches I ignore 'em the best I can. I tend to have a lot anyway since I play pretty rough with my cat who's on the larger side and...oh wait...you're referring to watches...In that case, scratches do bother me (particularly the ones on polished surfaces) so in my perfect world no watches - save for perhaps field watches - would have them. However, until that time comes I think it's part of the hobby you have to manage/accept.

Like torn and faded jeans, scratches on watches aren't always bad:

sinn-3.jpg

Side note: I wonder how well Citizen's Duratect coating addresses the problem.

·
Registered
20,463 Posts
This works with any watch, from a $50 Casio to a $50,000 Vacheron.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Depends on the watch. Never on a dress watch. Otherwise, a few wear marks give the watch character.

Reactions: RediJedi

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,129 Posts
People tend to hate scratches. But they are also inevitable no matter how well you take care of your watches. Question is do scratches bother you?
Scratches are the inevitable result of wearing a watch so no they don't bother me. And directly related I won't spend time trying to polish them down either.

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,175 Posts
I used to be obsessed with scratches when I started collecting watches. I'd polish my watches every few days with Cape Cod polishing cloths, wearing them out until the pink turned pitch black.

It wasn't until I banged one of my watches against a door that I began to realize that scratches were inevitable, and that I was acting irrational: an idiot.

Before that, I'd bring the watch every now and then to a lamp or some place with a lot of light to examine the watch for barely visible scratches on the case or dial.

Nowadays, I just wipe them off with a clean cloth after wearing them, which usually does the trick. I've come to accept scratches as battle scars that give the watch character, something that I learned from you guys.

Reactions: calvincc
1 - 20 of 55 Posts