WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time owner of Panerai who is growing up for more sophisticated mechanics beyond Panerai ETA mechanics. Rolex Submariner is that reference mechanical device (certainly ego enhancing too :) but vanity fair is not something that I am after, Grand Seiko is equally a high quality sophistication benchmark with additional benefit of being 44mm in their dive GS SBGA029. However, Rolex Sub seems to hold value well and if I am correct Rolex can make your daily wear Sub look like new again if you send it to them for a fee? GS gets a lot less premium support and pref treatment from Seiko themselves. I use my watch daily everywhere, I do not plan to keep it in the box. I have a good size wrist and hand.

That said, I wonder how 40mm Sub looks to someone who wore 44mm watches most of the time? Small and lean? Reasonable and unobtrusive? Kids toy?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I had a 47mm Panerai Sub, a 44mm Rolex Deep sea, and a Rolex GMT IIc. While the GMT was not comically small when I wore it, I never fully adjusted back to its smaller size and ultimately sold it, keeping the larger two. Try the sub on, better to be sure before spending the money. I wear my Deep Sea every day and love it. Sold my Panerais as they weren't doing it for me anymore.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It's sorta like body dysmorphia. Your perceptions of appropriate size has changed due to longtime 44mm usage. The Sub is by no means small, and to my eye looks perfectly sized for my 7 1/2 inch wrist. Just look at the wrist shots online... they look great, and so will you once your standard of "large" evolves a bit. It's a more refined (meaning it's more appropriate in all situations i.e. suit, business, casual etc..) than the 44mm Panerai. The SubC Maxi case and lugs are actually about the same width as my Explorer II 216570, but wears smaller due to the thinness of the case itself. Whatever makes you sing... that's what you should wear.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
It partly depends on wrist circumference, but it mostly (IMHO) depends on what you have been conditioned to prefer. As long as your wrist is somewhere around 7" - 8", the 40mm Sub will fit you well. I started off my dive watch wearing career wearing a Breitling Super Avenger at nearly 48mm diameter. I thought it looked GREAT on me at the time. When I switched to wearing a much smaller watch daily (Doxa Sub at 44....but IMHO the Doxas wear much more like the 40mm Rolex divers due to dial size), I REALLY felt as if it looked too small. I had been conditioned to think that the 48mm Breitling was the 'norm'. After 2 weeks of wearing the Doxa every day, it felt comfortable and the size seemed correct for my wrist. My wrist was 7.5" at the time.

Like I said......unless you have gorilla wrists, a 40mm will be a great size for most people, and only you will feel it 'looks small' when gazing down at it.

JMHO

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
From going to Panerai to any of my other smaller watches I only have one thing I find difficult to adjust to. It's not the watches themselves. It's the strap widths and buckles. I love my variety of straps and chunky buckles I put on my Pam. Wearing a 20mm strap sometimes feels puny and not as appealing anymore. That's one of the reasons I rarely wear anything else besides a bracelet on my smaller lug watches unless they are a NATO of some sort.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Short answer? Yes. Panerai wear quite big while the Sub is surprisingly low key, which is why so many love it.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I've worn mostly larger watches all my life. Up to 46mm. The Rolex sub was my first smaller watch and I love it. I have 7.25" wrists which seem larger than most on this forum and it looks great and wears comfortably. It's got a bigger wrist presence than its specifications would seem to warrant.

·
Registered
147 Posts
As others have said, it just takes some getting used to. Once you wear the sub for a while, you'll think that's the right size for you and the Panerai is too big. Gotta love this crazy hobby!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Long time owner of Panerai who is growing up for more sophisticated mechanics beyond Panerai ETA mechanics. Rolex Submariner is that reference mechanical device (certainly ego enhancing too :) but vanity fair is not something that I am after, Grand Seiko is equally a high quality sophistication benchmark with additional benefit of being 44mm in their dive GS SBGA029. However, Rolex Sub seems to hold value well and if I am correct Rolex can make your daily wear Sub look like new again if you send it to them for a fee? GS gets a lot less premium support and pref treatment from Seiko themselves. I use my watch daily everywhere, I do not plan to keep it in the box. I have a good size wrist and hand.

That said, I wonder how 40mm Sub looks to someone who wore 44mm watches most of the time? Small and lean? Reasonable and unobtrusive? Kids toy?
I had the same worries. Fairly thick wrists and had worn a Planet Ocean 45.5mm watch for over five years.

When I used to look at Rolex in the stores they seemed like a child's toy, especially the vintage ones that were even smaller.

However, I took the plunge and got an Explorer II 42mm, and adapted almost immediately. Yesterday I flipped it for the GMT Master II which is only 40mm and has thinner lugs than the Submariner, but I am totally happy with the size.

I really think after a fairly short time on the wrist you'd be happy. The exquisite attention to detail and superior metal give it presence to be sure.

·
Registered
261 Posts
While I haven't quite "grown up to more sophisticated mechanicals" here is a decent comparison of a 44mm Panerai vs. some other, variously sized, pieces. For reference my wrist is 7.25"

Panerai Luminor Marina 44mm
IMG_2987.jpg
Omega Planet Ocean 42mm
IMG_5674.jpg
Tudor Black Bay 41mm
IMG_5690 (1).jpg
And lastly, Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic 40mm
IMG_3005.jpg

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It takes some time to adjust, switching from large to small and vice versa..

45.5 mm

43 mm

42 mm

39 mm

38.5 mm

After a few days you'll get used to it

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm average build, 6', 48" shoulders, with wrists to match. Not huge, but not a scrawny guy. My current daily wears range from a 39mm Rolex to a 1lb 45mm PAM style LumTec and I'm pretty content at either end - in fact I'd like to add a 47mm at some point, and I wouldn't be opposed to a 38mm if the watch was right. Point is, you can definitely get used to it. There are days I put one on and feel like it is too small or too big. On those days I wear a different watch.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thing is I never felt that Pam was too large for my wrist, quite the opposite. It was a very comfortable watch for me. I was getting comments from people, watch was definitely getting noticed. I know Rolex getting noticed because it is Rolex not because of the size. If anyone has Pam and Sub and can put it on the wrist at the same time for the photo, would be great.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've always worn 41 and 42 mm watches. I purchased a Sub No Date and wore it for 4 days straight and then put on my Omega Planet Ocean 2500 42mm. The PO felt like a brick and felt out of place large. This was only after a few days of wearing the 40 mm Sub. Not sure I care to go back to a larger watch but that is just me. 7+ inch wrists.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yea it can take time to adjust smaller. Your eyes may reject it at first, but this feeling should change given enough wrist time.

You may even begin to prefer smaller 40 mm watches, I know this is where I'm at (with 7.25" wrist). One trick if it looks small when you glance at it on your wrist, instead look in a mirror and you'll often see how better proportioned this size can be vs. the 44+ mm watches. Unless you're a really large framed/tall type of person.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Planet Ocean always looked like a reasonably-sized watch to me. Sub is 2mm smaller and if it feels reasonable then perhaps it is not that small after all. Of course preferences are highly individual, but on this thread I have read both sides now, sub is too small and sub is good size watch...
I've always worn 41 and 42 mm watches. I purchased a Sub No Date and wore it for 4 days straight and then put on my Omega Planet Ocean 2500 42mm. The PO felt like a brick and felt out of place large. This was only after a few days of wearing the 40 mm Sub. Not sure I care to go back to a larger watch but that is just me. 7+ inch wrists.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Grand Seiko Dive watch similar in looks to Rolex gets rave review and not one complaint about the size of it. Anyone owns both Grand Seiko Dive SBGA029 and Sub? What do you think of both?

Buy the Sub and you'll get used to the size. Panerais border on comically large.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts