WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Do you ALWAYS carry a cell phone/pda or mp3 player on your person??

• Yes. I'm buck nekkid without one. Must have my social media at all times.

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • No. I can get by without one for limited periods of time.

Votes: 20 42.6%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm rather new to this forum, and seem to keep stumbling upon do/why/when do you wear a watch threads. SO, here is a counter thread. b-)

I ask this counter question: Do you ALWAYS have a phone/ipod/mp3 player and/or a pda on you???

For me... A resounding NO. I actually do my best to leave my cell phone every opportunity that I get. Now, it will be close by if I need it... But if possible, it will not be on my person. Example; If I walk in to the store, I'll leave the phone in the car. If I go for a short walk or a bike ride, I'll leave it in the house. It will NOT be near the supper table if out for dinner.

I relish the fact that I grew up before the mobile phone or internet was available to the general public. While I love being connected, and have embraced the technology, I still find it nice to go offline for a few minutes, if not hours at a time.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I do carry mine for the most part but I can live without it and I never use FB or anything like that.
A watch ALWAYS has to be on my wrist during the day though!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Gotta have one...I'd say there are very few scenarios in which a watch is necessary. There are some, in special situations where people have to deal with harsh conditions or are located in remote areas.

For me a watch is more about jewelry, conversation, and a nice backup...

Mike

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,768 Posts
Always have a watch or smart phone? No. But I usually have the phone for telecom, web searches and telling time. And a watch for telling time and enjoying how it looks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
A watch is always on my wrist when I'm out of the house. My cell phone is on me also when I'm out of the house. But, my cell is always on vibrate, as I hate ring tones, so if I catch the call or text, then I get it, if I don't, I don't.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
The only reasons I have a cell phone are for call at work and so my son's school can reach me in an emergency. My experience is that personal electronic devices tend to make life more complicated than necessary and I'm happier without them. It amazes me how much time my friends and coworkers waste on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites in the quest to stay connected with everyone.

A watch is rather benign and just sits on my wrist until I need the time. It doesn't demand my attention and I don't have to pay outrageous monthly fees to use it.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
I can live without it and my wife is pretty much my social media updater. I have my mobile phone always on me though for very important reasons (to text my wife to ask if i've forgotten anything).

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
no, I can do without my phone every now & then.

especially since I dont have a smart phone (mine is really dumb). Beside, I'm not in to social media, I'm too anti-social for that stuff, lol.

·
Registered
189 Posts
There's no poll response of "Don't have a cell phone".
Don't need or want one. Anyone who needs to reach me can use my work or my home phone.

Saves me enough to afford a new watch!

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,065 Posts
The only reasons I have a cell phone are for call at work and so my son's school can reach me in an emergency. My experience is that personal electronic devices tend to make life more complicated than necessary and I'm happier without them. It amazes me how much time my friends and coworkers waste on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites in the quest to stay connected with everyone.

A watch is rather benign and just sits on my wrist until I need the time. It doesn't demand my attention and I don't have to pay outrageous monthly fees to use it.
I feel you. I'm in my twenties, and the people around me are glued to their smartphones and whatnot, texting and reading texts every couple of minutes or so. I'm certain that most of what they're doing with their phones is to browse Facebook or other social media applications. I think I'm one of the few who doesn't carry a phone all the time. Being connected 24/7 isn't as convenient as it sounds; it's a hassle, like wearing a ball and chain around your ankles. The key, I think, is balance, but it's hard to keep the influx of tweets and status updates at bay when the technology around us facilitates instant access to social media. This addiction to social media is unhealthy for interpersonal relationships, but, I digress.

Oh, and I always wear my watch. It reminds me of simpler times.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I'm the parent of a child with a potentially life threatening allergic response to nuts....I would be nuts not to have my mobile phone handy.
I'm in for both.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Only reason I keep my phone with me all the time is for work. My partners and I are Work-a-holics and have a habit of shooting off emails at all times of day and night whenever a new idea hits us and one of us always responds which creates a new brainstorm. We are a pretty entrepreneurial company and some of our best ideas have come from these sessions. I put on a watch 10 minutes after waking up and a minute before getting in bed it comes off.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You're skewing the results pretty badly via the phrasing of your poll choices. I have my cell phone and a watch on me at all times (save for the 3 S's: sleep, shower, sex), but my cell phone is not primarily used for social media, and it's not like I couldn't get by without it.

By the way, it's possible to be involved in social media without being a slave to it. It's only as much a ball and chain as you make it. I have Facebook, Twitter, etc. accounts, but I spend probably a couple hours a week total on them. Since when is staying in touch such a bad thing? Why resist the changing methods by which we get our information? You know, there was a time when nobody sent emails or posted in forums. If I want to tell someone something, why not just send a handwritten letter via the Pony Express?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Every one us has his own personal reasons, to wear, or no to wear, a cell phone all the time. I'm not addicted to them, although I have nothing against technology!
I'm also one of those ho need to always be reachable, by my wife and sons, especially because of my daughter. A young girl, who was born with cerebral paralysis, and often requires attention.

So, for me it's convenient to carry my phone all the time when I'm out of home, but as soon as I get home, I leave it on the coffee table, and forget it.

Regards,
LM

1 - 20 of 34 Posts