WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I deal with the public and when I see someone with an interesting watch I sometimes ask the question.
No-one seems to mind showing me. What do you do?

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
I usually ask that question while wielding a sawed-off baseball bat. For some reason, reactions end up being very different from what you're seeing.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Generally no... unless it’s at a party or something informal and I’m somewhat acquainted with the person. And even then, for my few watch-loving friends, I already know what they’re wearing because we usually talk about new acquisitions, planned purchases, etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It depends, if there was some small talk involved, yes. Generally no unless it was at an event or party.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm never in a "public" setting where this question would be out of place, so yes I ask when I don't know what they are wearing. If I know, as is often the case, I give a compliment.

·
Registered
665 Posts
When I see a watch that catches my eye, I'll ask about it. I don't have many people in my personal circle who wear nice watches. My brother-in-law is one exception, and his are usually outsized chunky steel numbers from Breitling and Omega.

The best conversation I've had in recent times was while I was at a window of a jewellery store looking at the watches on display. A woman standing next to me was doing the same. She was wearing an Omega, if I recall. We began talking. She had worked for an authorised dealer for 18 years before retiring, and had heaps of fascinating insights about the market. She spoke about both retailer and consumer behaviour, and about trends and personal tastes. I learnt a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
I try to lead with "Is that a (brand or reference number)" since it immediately reveals that I'm also an enthusiast. Also, if the other guy doesn't know what he's wearing, I'll learn that too and bow out of the conversation.

If I can't at least figure out who made the watch, chances are I'm not super interested.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Well, unlike the poster in the OP, I have never had a job where I dealt with the general public. I don't like interacting with the general public. I have no real interest in asking randos about their watch. And besides, I've never noticed a watch on someone's wrist worth talking about anyway. I'm just fine quietly admiring something on someone's wrist.

The caveat is if I saw someone wearing a Weiss watch. I am interested in purchasing one next year, and given they are generally not a known entity by most, I would like to hear from an owner before I buy. Then again, I could probably start a thread here and get a response from a couple of owners.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Reactions: LosAngelesTimer

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
"That's a nice watch... I like the colour".

So said this gigantic guy to me in a bar...

I never wore the watch again, sold it.

Memo to me: Never wear orange again.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Well, unlike the poster in the OP, I have never had a job where I dealt with the general public. I don't like interacting with the general public. I have no real interest in asking randos about their watch. And besides, I've never noticed a watch on someone's wrist worth talking about anyway. I'm just fine quietly admiring something on someone's wrist.

The caveat is if I saw someone wearing a Weiss watch. I am interested in purchasing one next year, and given they are generally not a known entity by most, I would like to hear from an owner before I buy. Then again, I could probably start a thread here and get a response from a couple of owners.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Luxury retail is fascinating. It's a mirror into the human psyche. I wouldn't wish upon my worse enemy a lifetime of retail, but you learn a lot from doing it for a couple months.

But if you've never, ever, seen a watch worth asking about, you need to travel more :)

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I usually ask that question while wielding a sawed-off baseball bat. For some reason, reactions end up being very different from what you're seeing.
It’s all in the approach, tuck the bat under your arm and go to the bathroom. Use a urinal next to someone with a nice watch, look over and tell them they’ve got a nice piece and ask to see it. You’ll be amaze at the response you get.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Yep. Have done it on multiple occasions...planes/airports, the mall, wherever. I’ve never been responded to in any other than a positive way. My experience has been that most people like the stuff they buy/wear and are happy to talk about it...especially if the question is coming from a complimentary angle. “WTF is that monstrosity on your arm?” may be met with a different reaction.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts