WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
About the watch snob, what is more provacative? Because at the start he was rude (really really really rude and out of line). Nowadays it's soft and lame.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh btw. I don't buy watches for me or my kids (which I hopefully will have one day) but I buy them because I'm being pressured into buying a watch that makes me fit in and show off my wealth.

That's what it's really all about right? No?

(joke)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
98%+ of people on this site will say that they are immune to marketing, invulnerable to sales pitches, that they buy a watch "for myself" rather than to show off, to impress others, maintain a certain image, etc. No doubt all the Rolex owners on this site love Rolex not because of the company's tremendous feat of making their watches a symbol of success/wealth/power, but because they admired those tough, rugged mechanical movements and the finishing (which everyone really needs when they're doing the desk-diving job that enables them to afford a Rolex).

This is why marketing works. No one buys something thinking, "Damn, that ad really made me doing something I wouldn't otherwise do or that I know is irrational."

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I have no children and am indifferent to those relatives I don't actively dislike. Ergo, I buy for myself.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I buy for myself, I flip watches & kids so fast...I'll never have a legacy.

·
Registered
16,487 Posts
My kids much prefer new fangled time machines like smart phones and computers and such, have absolutely no interest in my collection save that it makes me happy. As one might expect, every piece I purchase is for me and me alone. Really have not thought about/don't care about legacy issues with regard to any watches that I might still possess when I move on. Other stuff perhaps, watches no . . .

Reactions: Grahamsjz

·
Registered
423 Posts
loved the article.

coincidentally, I always thought of Patek Philippe as the Rolex of high-end watches: very over-exposed and over-advertized product for plebeians who need to know that they belong to a certain club once they get one.

·
Registered
880 Posts
98%+ of people on this site will say that they are immune to marketing, invulnerable to sales pitches, that they buy a watch "for myself" rather than to show off, to impress others, maintain a certain image, etc. No doubt all the Rolex owners on this site love Rolex not because of the company's tremendous feat of making their watches a symbol of success/wealth/power, but because they admired those tough, rugged mechanical movements and the finishing (which everyone really needs when they're doing the desk-diving job that enables them to afford a Rolex).

This is why marketing works. No one buys something thinking, "Damn, that ad really made me doing something I wouldn't otherwise do or that I know is irrational."
Yes, marketing is subliminal, isn't it.

The blogpost about PP's marketing made me think of this article about De Beers' 'A diamond is forever' marketing campaign, which was successful beyond its wildest dreams:

Have You Ever Tried to Sell a Diamond? - Edward Jay Epstein - The Atlantic

In it, the author discusses why there isn't a second-hand market for diamonds, which was alluded to in the blog. I'm struck by the similarities between PP and De Beers in their marketing slogans. Per watch manufactured, PP spends more on marketing than Rolex. Which is probably necessary when you consider that their 'entry-level' Nautilus costs $37K (Singapore dollars). But sometimes, I wish they didn't spend so much on marketing and just concentrate on making a better watch, no? (Don't think PP executives share my sentiment. :-d).

PS. Thanks to member Lord Monocle for sharing the De Beers article some time back.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It seemed a shame not to own a watch after I spent so long learning to tell the time!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Not only do I buy for me, I'm leaving nothing in my will... It's all getting buried with me. Who says you can't take it with you?

Sent from Russia.... with love.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I'm telling my daughter (when she's old enough) "Sell everything you don't like. Don't get sentimental." If she likes watches great, but I intend to enjoy them.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think they're still reaping the harvest. Their marketing was so slick every woman wanted a diamond. And every man wanted to buy one for his wife/ fiancée. They even managed to turn around the Japanese market by subliminal marketing, alluding to women breaking free of traditional restraints in their ads. I wouldn't be surprised if PP hired the same marketing team....

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I don't think that you can buy something to become an heirloom. IMO an heirloom is something that people remember was special to you, almost part of your character/signature. It's about the emotion. Anything else is just an inheritance.

Interesting reading on people's thoughts about marketing. Is it heavy in the US? It isn't here. If you were not into watches you would hardly notice it. I less I just walk about with my eyes shut!

Reactions: drhr and brandon\

·
Registered
753 Posts
I buy a watch and other things for myself. When I read about a watch that is being bought for it's investment or heirloom value my first reaction is someone listened too intently to the salesmans pitch.
I agree with this, but I do try to buy watches that I know will be around and functional that I can leave to my two boys. Not for the investment or value so much, just as something their dad was interested in. Hopefully they will be interested in them too one day and will appreciate them like I do. If not no big deal, so this is way down my list of buying pros.

·
Premium Member
76,595 Posts
Neither of my daughters is the least bit interested in watches - they both use smartphones to tell the time so I buy watches just for me.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts