WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without breaking forum rules !!

Interested how many members buy Ball watches new or look at the used market.

I personally look at both options. I am disapointed in the depreciation ball watches have when purchased new, but you gain useing

the used market. I find the brand so underated here in the UK.

Just wish they would hold there prices that next level up. The brand does warrant this.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I bought all mine new 3 in total which probably wasn't that wise with that being said ball warranties are not transferable also trade in might get 40 cents on the dollar and that's for a recently purchased model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are spot on, only differnce its 40 pence here to the pound 50 if you are lucky. Is this the same worldwide?????

·
Premium Member
36,086 Posts
Both for me. Usually used so I don't take the depreciation hit for a new watch, but I have also purchased new as well. Just depends on my objectives.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Have yet to buy a Ball even though I've been enamored of them for a few years now. When I find "the one" I will look for pre-owned. Ball represents a tremendous value on the pre-owned market. Pretty sure a used Fireman is the best watch at that price (often under $700).

I didn't know the warranty was not transferable. That may partially explain the depreciation.

Nordstrom has recently started carrying Ball. This may very well have a positive impact on brand perception in the states.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have done both. Used for models that have been out a while (Fireman 43, and Worldtime diver in my case) and new when I have to have the latest (XV, which got traded in on the Black, which got traded in on the AeroGMT)

Not many brands have transferable warranties. In the end, the warranty comes down to the dealer more than the manufacturer. If they are willing to step up for you, anything can be covered.

I have had great experiences buying both new and preowned from Topper.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I bought both my Balls used. Excellent value given the price I paid.

Lume is still strong, even with the 1st gen Engineer Master II Classic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
New member here. Just purchased a mint used Spacemaster from Topper. Aside from having the brief thrill of unwrapping a new watch, I can't see buying something new that's going to depreciate by half the first time it's worn. Feel the same way about buying my cars.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Out of the 60+ Ball watches that have come through my hands over the last 8 or 10 years, 90% were used. Lack of a transferable warranty is actually the exception rather than the rule (there are a couple of threads with lists of those who do and those who don't here on WUS), and does have an impact on their resale value for those who flip them quickly after purchase--a few years down the road, and of course the transfer issue is no longer relevant--I am somewhat surprised and disappointed that the Ball watch tends to depreciate a bit more than many watches of comparable quality--it still is a relatively unknown brand--in the last decade, for example, I have never seen another Ball "in the wild" (on somebody else's wrist).

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
I like to collect so I buy new and used. If it is special, I go with a boutique or AD. My Ball Red Label GMT was purchased new from our sponsor. My Ball Skylab II was purchased used. When I do purchase used, I assume that I will be paying for a full service in the near future.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
12 Ball Watches have been in my possession, 2 brand new, 10 used. I purchased one new and won a brand new one through the Ball-A-Thon. I've flipped all of them except the Ball-A-Thon prize. I am not opposed to buying new, but when looking on the forums, you never know what kind of deals you'll find. If warranty is important to you, then you know what you have to do. Warranty is important to me when I buy an in house movement.

I also agree with Peter and feel Ball is relatively unknown, I have never seen another person wearing a Ball Watch.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
All three of my Fireman (Santa Fe, Gen 1 and Racer) were bought used here on WUS.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I bought my Engineer II Ohio GMT pre-owned but from one of the big forum sponsor vendors so it actually has a pretty solid warranty attached to it. For me its one of my main rotation watches but not exactly the Alpha dog so I couldn't justify the cost of new. I have the silver dial which seems to be either temporarily or permanently out of production and not available gray market at much of a discount. I paid right around 55-60% of the best price I could find it gray market new and there is no real wear on the watch.

Then again, I've been known to buy my shoes pre-owned so the fact that I buy watches that way shouldn't surprise anyone.

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
I've bought about 60 new and four preowned.

·
Registered
20 Posts
here is why you never seen them in the wild. The company is not big. Not bulk produced. And got this from the marketing dept. They do not spend a great deal on marketing. An ad here or there in the Wall Street Journal and not much more. They do drop 50% even if new after the initial push on a new watch. You can find some of the best watches on the planet for the money in a Ball that is new or as new and is a year or 2 old. I am very patient and I have bought some real nice watches all Ball. You just have to be patient and wait for that one you want or take one that is a steal. All of them or nice so a lot of times I take one I am not even looking for just because it is priced right. Always looking. And yes they are very hard to find. Dealers have to make money. You get a warranty if you use a dealer. If a private sale well you get what you get.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So far, new only.
GF bought me my first Ball (Ball for BMW GMT).
I bought my second (Fireman Racer DLC) last fall from an online dealer who was selling at like 40% off retail.
I just pre ordered my third (Ball for BMW 100th Anniversary power reserve).

My Rolex was new last May. I might could be convinced to buy a used Rolex. My next purchase will be a black or white faced Explorer II and I think I can get one LNIB for around $6k from a trusted seller on the rolex forum, $6,500 at worst.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have bought 2 used and have another used in my sights. The value on used is awesome even if you add a service to the total cost. I have been very tempted in the AD several times but have so far not pulled the trigger on new.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts