WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed I prefer to obtain a new or different movement as a collecting goal at times.

Right now I have a Valjoux 7733; ETA 2824; Sellita SW215; FHF 72 24hr; Omega 8800; Omega 9900.

Do you seek out movements only sometimes?

Watch Automotive tire Tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
i try not to repeat movements, and also avoid the really generic ones like the 2842, 7750, or selitta equivalent because I find them somewhat boring. the 9051 is my most generic.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
NO, but I do avoid movements, like the 8 series Miyota and now the SW200 series movement.

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
Sometimes, but I primarily just collect watches I like.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
I do like OEM movements but in general I collect the watches I like; I get tired of having too many watches with the same ETA movements (for example).

Reactions: martygene

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Sometimes I go movements. Most of the time I go watches.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't like having two of the same movement, and in general I want each watch to have a movement that is different in some way, be that through different complications or architecture. This (generally) also has the effect of making the designs varied as well.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes! Not just different flavors of mechanical movements, but also different types of movements, Quartz, Spring Drive, Mechanical. I still want to try out an Accutron for the hum and the new FC Oscillating disk. Also, I have different beat rates in different movements (18000, 21600, 28800, 36000). I’m into this hobby because I’m a nerd and I love the engineering behind timepieces.

Agree that I don’t want multiple watches with the same movements… the more diversity the better!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes, sometimes i’m hunting movements, but the watch should not be ugly - for this reason I still don’t have Poljot 3133 based chrono 😀. I’m also trying to avoid some movements (e.g. Miyota 8k, 775x, 2824/SW200, non-HAQ quartz).

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
No, I don't seek out different movements. If a watch I am interested in happens to have a movement that I don't have yet in my collection then it is a plus, but only a minor one unless it is an attractive or unique movement with a display caseback.

·
Registered
117 Posts
To me, a quality movement is very important, but I don't mind repeating movements if the watches themselves are different enough.

Hell, if every single one of my watches had a Blancpain/Fredric Piguet 1315 movement, I'd be in heaven.

The problem with ETA 2824s/SW200s isn't that they're common, but they're fairly outdated as far as movement tech goes. I can't really be bothered with 38 hour power reserves anymore - especially when Swatch Group's in-house movements for their entry-level brands are mostly 80 hours, and very accurate.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
The movement becomes more important to me as the price of the watch increases. Overall, I have to like the package. I'm just as happy with my Breitling with the modified ETA as I am with my Omegas with the 8800/8900 movements. They serve different purposes for me. That said, I appreciate the differences the movements in my Omegas bring to the table.

So, while I appreciate a nice movement, I'm good as long as the watch keeps good time and is dependable regardless of the movement.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts