WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed I prefer to obtain a new or different movement as a collecting goal at times.

Right now I have a Valjoux 7733; ETA 2824; Sellita SW215; FHF 72 24hr; Omega 8800; Omega 9900.

Do you seek out movements only sometimes?

Watch Automotive tire Tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
i try not to repeat movements, and also avoid the really generic ones like the 2842, 7750, or selitta equivalent because I find them somewhat boring. the 9051 is my most generic.

·
Premium Member
11,061 Posts
NO, but I do avoid movements, like the 8 series Miyota and now the SW200 series movement.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Sometimes, but I primarily just collect watches I like.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
I do like OEM movements but in general I collect the watches I like; I get tired of having too many watches with the same ETA movements (for example).

Reactions: martygene

·
Registered
9,867 Posts
Sometimes I go movements. Most of the time I go watches.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yes, especially manual wind chronographs. Pictured are lemania, valjoux, venus, zenith, seagull movements.

Brown Rim Wood Watch Font
Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Watch accessory
Creative arts Wood Dishware Font Art
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Silver
Automotive tire Purple Art Violet Font

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't like having two of the same movement, and in general I want each watch to have a movement that is different in some way, be that through different complications or architecture. This (generally) also has the effect of making the designs varied as well.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes! Not just different flavors of mechanical movements, but also different types of movements, Quartz, Spring Drive, Mechanical. I still want to try out an Accutron for the hum and the new FC Oscillating disk. Also, I have different beat rates in different movements (18000, 21600, 28800, 36000). I’m into this hobby because I’m a nerd and I love the engineering behind timepieces.

Agree that I don’t want multiple watches with the same movements… the more diversity the better!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, sometimes i’m hunting movements, but the watch should not be ugly - for this reason I still don’t have Poljot 3133 based chrono 😀. I’m also trying to avoid some movements (e.g. Miyota 8k, 775x, 2824/SW200, non-HAQ quartz).

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A few here avoid the SW200s - is it because the clone factor? Or just too common? I will have one in a Stowa Flieger sport model.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
No, I don't seek out different movements. If a watch I am interested in happens to have a movement that I don't have yet in my collection then it is a plus, but only a minor one unless it is an attractive or unique movement with a display caseback.

·
Registered
291 Posts
To me, a quality movement is very important, but I don't mind repeating movements if the watches themselves are different enough.

Hell, if every single one of my watches had a Blancpain/Fredric Piguet 1315 movement, I'd be in heaven.

The problem with ETA 2824s/SW200s isn't that they're common, but they're fairly outdated as far as movement tech goes. I can't really be bothered with 38 hour power reserves anymore - especially when Swatch Group's in-house movements for their entry-level brands are mostly 80 hours, and very accurate.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
The movement becomes more important to me as the price of the watch increases. Overall, I have to like the package. I'm just as happy with my Breitling with the modified ETA as I am with my Omegas with the 8800/8900 movements. They serve different purposes for me. That said, I appreciate the differences the movements in my Omegas bring to the table.

So, while I appreciate a nice movement, I'm good as long as the watch keeps good time and is dependable regardless of the movement.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts