WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Design first, movement second. As much as I admire movements, strangely enough, I end up wearing my watches with closed casebacks more often. I’ve bought watches in the past just for the movement and usually end up selling them. Too bad you can’t wear them upside down!

·
Registered
37,450 Posts
Always visual attraction to the watch, especially dial and hands.

Movement………long as it’s on spec for the piece, and if it’s expensive, pretty accurate.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I guess a little bit of each. I collect watches, so design and movement play a part, but I will admit when I bought my first Grand Seiko back in March, I went into it from the start and didn’t consider anything other than a Spring Drive.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Movements first...case second.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Natural material
Art Ornament Natural material Circle Ceiling

• Love
Reactions: sorinp1

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not really. I have various quartz, one hand-wound (a Sea-Gull movement, I think), and one automatic (ETA 2836-2). Got my eye on a skeleton with an STP 6-15... one day.

The movements in this thread are very cool.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I wouldn't buy a watch that wasn't appealling to me, even if it had a good movement. Also, I wouldn't buy an appealling watch with a movement below my standards. An ideal purchase for me would be a movement that has complications not already in my collection.

·
Registered
731 Posts
That's a very good question. I don't think about it but i am aware of what movement is coming with the watch. the question of movements isn't my primary motivator for why i get a watch though. so i go for the overall design.

·
Registered
731 Posts
To me, a quality movement is very important, but I don't mind repeating movements if the watches themselves are different enough.

Hell, if every single one of my watches had a Blancpain/Fredric Piguet 1315 movement, I'd be in heaven.

The problem with ETA 2824s/SW200s isn't that they're common, but they're fairly outdated as far as movement tech goes. I can't really be bothered with 38 hour power reserves anymore - especially when Swatch Group's in-house movements for their entry-level brands are mostly 80 hours, and very accurate.
that's been bothering me too...these older shorter power reserves. i feel like the power reserve average is going up.
I don't know if i have proof or sufficient evidence hehehe

21 - 40 of 69 Posts