WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
I collect watches. The watch consists of dial\look, history, functionality, fit, movement and much more.
So not just movement. A great movement in an ugly case with ugly dial holds 0 appeal. An ok movement in a great design watch can be quite nice.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I wouldn't buy a watch that wasn't appealling to me, even if it had a good movement. Also, I wouldn't buy an appealling watch with a movement below my standards. An ideal purchase for me would be a movement that has complications not already in my collection.
You and i are alike. I have the same rationale about acquiring a new complication too.

If i'm spending say something above a high enough price point like over 4k, the movement had better be decent and interesting. I dislike highly priced pieces from companies that are essentially ETA or sellita clones that have been revamped or whatever. The value proposition just tanks for me in these cases no matter how hard i try to justify. It's hard to stomach paying significantly high prices for essentially what is an ETA or sellita base movement.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A few here avoid the SW200s - is it because the clone factor? Or just too common? I will have one in a Stowa Flieger sport model.
For me, it's a confluence of the 'clone factor' and the fact that they are thoroughly dull. ETA/Sellita movements are the watch equivalent of a 3-cylinder diesel engine. I used to own one in a FC Moonphase, but I sold it partially because I could never shake the feeling that the movement was an industrial assembly line product rather than something special.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have noticed I prefer to obtain a new or different movement as a collecting goal at times.

Right now I have a Valjoux 7733; ETA 2824; Sellita SW215; FHF 72 24hr; Omega 8800; Omega 9900.

Do you seek out movements only sometimes?

View attachment 16254201
Not either/or (as a dichotomy), so I collect both.

So the ambiguous (but non-facetious) answer is "Yes."

Reactions: PeteJE

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
pretty much functionality and design. Pretty movement is a PLUS.

·
Registered
Omega
78 Posts
I have noticed I prefer to obtain a new or different movement as a collecting goal at times.

Right now I have a Valjoux 7733; ETA 2824; Sellita SW215; FHF 72 24hr; Omega 8800; Omega 9900.

Do you seek out movements only sometimes?

View attachment 16254201
Primarily: I'm all about the calibre. Nothing else matters.
Secondarily: I prefer minimum 100 meter water resistance cases, long minute and second hands that actually merge with the minute markers and beat fast. This I can attain via after market dials, hands, cases etc.

Movement is critical for any purchase, as is the complication like moon phase and perpetual Calendar. I dislike chronographs from past experience and service horrors, I did enjoy them until my early 20s. Not anymore.

I hate sellita, and low to mid grade ETA, again bad experiences in the past. Now I only gun for in-house calibres with excellent reviews and praises.

·
Registered
Omega
78 Posts
Design first, movement second. As much as I admire movements, strangely enough, I end up wearing my watches with closed casebacks more often. I’ve bought watches in the past just for the movement and usually end up selling them. Too bad you can’t wear them upside down!
Invest in open hearts, and if you want to go all out a Tourbillion is the way to invest for a good show.

·
Registered
Omega
78 Posts
You and i are alike. I have the same rationale about acquiring a new complication too.

If i'm spending say something above a high enough price point like over 4k, the movement had better be decent and interesting. I dislike highly priced pieces from companies that are essentially ETA or sellita clones that have been revamped or whatever. The value proposition just tanks for me in these cases no matter how hard i try to justify. It's hard to stomach paying significantly high prices for essentially what is an ETA or sellita base movement.
This is nothing, I've seen 20k watches on hodinkee from Japan with cheap Seiko and sellita movements. Payment goes for the dial, case, and other materials (not precious metals) to attain up to 50K as well. Nomos and Rolex from experience are solid movement manufacturers. I like their calibres and overall watches the most.

·
Registered
Omega
78 Posts
For me, it's a confluence of the 'clone factor' and the fact that they are thoroughly dull. ETA/Sellita movements are the watch equivalent of a 3-cylinder diesel engine. I used to own one in a FC Moonphase, but I sold it partially because I could never shake the feeling that the movement was an industrial assembly line product rather than something special.
Which is why I prefer Blancpain apart from Nomos and Rolex. They have a heritage like none when it comes to the overall watch. Fifty shades Bathyscaphe Moonphase with a perpetual Calendar is a killer. It comes with all the above plus an integrated chronograph as well of you want an extra complication on top. 300 m wr is great overall. But I've heard reviews of the bezel (sapphire version) cracking easily with moderate dings.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Movement first, but I will not buy a watch which has no visual appeal to me (but try to remember that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder").
Mechanical:
- hand wind (several, mostly Russian), one with alarm

Watch Brown Analog watch Amber Watch accessory

- automatic (some with hand-wind capability): central rotor (the most common out there), micro-rotor, bumper rotor, peripheral rotor... I also have one with two barrels

Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Font

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry

Battery powered:
- older than quartz ;): electric and tuning fork

Watch Analog watch Automotive lighting Bicycle part Rim

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Material property

- quartz: solar power, kinetic, radio controlled, smart

·
Registered
600 Posts
haven't tried a lot of even the more affordable movements so movement is one thing I look for but to be honest it's probably a combination of both.

·
Registered
Omega
78 Posts
Watch Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Watch Arm Analog watch Gesture Clock

Watch Analog watch Clock Silver Watch accessory

Watch Natural material Font Silver Electric blue

Automotive lighting Rectangle Gesture Watch Automotive design

Check these out. I'm getting these 2 for now. Last time she posted the Gemini, my only concern was the quartz in such an intricate case. Now I'm God willing going after their Rhonda quartz casual on leather and Rhonda automatic diver on metal. Daimler in the background sealed the deal.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts